Sign in to follow this  
TheBaldOne66

McLean new contract

I fully understand that opinions are formed on expectations to a certain degree, as I’ve said previously I’m disappointed we haven’t improved on McLean in 5 years, that’s not a criticism aimed at McLean but the club.

In the current circumstances and knowing we’re going to be on a tight budget without promotion, extending McLean’s contract actually is a good thing, without funds for a replacement it’s a no brainer. The club has to consider the worst outcome of no promotion and build for that, if we do go up, I can only hope we do finally get a better replacement.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I fully understand that opinions are formed on expectations to a certain degree, as I’ve said previously I’m disappointed we haven’t improved on McLean in 5 years, that’s not a criticism aimed at McLean but the club.

In the current circumstances and knowing we’re going to be on a tight budget without promotion, extending McLean’s contract actually is a good thing, without funds for a replacement it’s a no brainer. The club has to consider the worst outcome of no promotion and build for that, if we do go up, I can only hope we do finally get a better replacement.

Is the correct answer

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....thats why we've 32 points from a possible 63.......

Nope....Kenny's one for the future.....Stu, Zoe, Delia, Micky WJ, Deano and Shakey know what they're doing....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Nope....Kenny's one for the future.....Stu, Zoe, Delia, Micky WJ, Deano and Shakey know what they're doing....

Spiteful lot, hate the City fans! All the players who get slated will get long term contracts!😉

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Good Post. In fact not just Kenny, but the whole squad needed to be improved year on year. This doesn't mean our current squad is poor, just the coach has to somehow find methods to the most out of it. 

This is great news, Kenny has been an important part of the squad and team, and without the arrival of 15 better players this is good news.

• Like 2

This is dreadful news! What are they thinking at Carrow Road?  There are a number of “senior players” who are just too comfortable at Norwich City, they have no ambition, no hunger , no leadership and set a poor example to the younger squad members. There is a time when these older has beens need to be moved on for the good of the Club. McLean is 30 years old (31 in 6 weeks time) and we give him a 3 year contract with an option on another year? Outrageous! This is just more of the same lack of ideas and direction that we have seen since Dean Smith arrived and Webber decided to go fell walking.

Edited by kenfoggo
  • Like 2

I seem to recall Webber shifting Howson out of the club because he had been her too long so  maybe he has had a rethink on that strategy ?

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I seem to recall Webber shifting Howson out of the club because he had been her too long so  maybe he has had a rethink on that strategy ?

Or maybe Webber doesn’t really care too much and the easy option is to just give McLean another contract.

37 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Howson rejected a new contract as he wanted to move back to the north.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to see Kenny stating the obvious in his interview that we haven’t been good enough and should have more points than we currently have 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Cheers for clarifying all that 👍 Stu. 

This contract renewal/extension really is lazy management of the squad make up. McLean and others, along with Hanley, are yesterday’s men. They have no place in the future of an ambitious club. Unless.. Unless everyone is reconciled to an extended stay in the Championship or worse. In that scenario McLean could be viewed as a barely adequate squad utility player to cover injuries. But he has no place in a Club looking forward and beyond the Championship.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

This contract renewal/extension really is lazy management of the squad make up. McLean and others, along with Hanley, are yesterday’s men. They have no place in the future of an ambitious club. Unless.. Unless everyone is reconciled to an extended stay in the Championship or worse. In that scenario McLean could be viewed as a barely adequate squad utility player to cover injuries. But he has no place in a Club looking forward and beyond the Championship.

Trouble is we haven’t got a £100 million to buy replacements

Edited by CANARYKING

23 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

It's not lazy management at all. Every single club up and down the country but more pertinently in this division, have some players who have been at the club a while, have experience and knowledge of the club and offer a steady part of the squad makeup. Alot of other clubs are less fortunate and those players they have, haven't been part of two previous title wins either.

I suggest you take a pick of 5 other 'ambitious' clubs and look at their entire squad portfolio...

8 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Funny that you would mention Howson...only in our last league game at the age of 34 or whatever he is now..still looked better than McLean

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

It's not lazy management at all. Every single club up and down the country but more pertinently in this division, have some players who have been at the club a while, have experience and knowledge of the club and offer a steady part of the squad makeup. Alot of other clubs are less fortunate and those players they have, haven't been part of two previous title wins either.

I suggest you take a pick of 5 other 'ambitious' clubs and look at their entire squad portfolio...

I suggest you ask yourself what qualities do you really see in McLean that you would want in your team?

45 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

I suggest you ask yourself what qualities do you really see in McLean that you would want in your team?

Wins more aerial battles than any of our other midfielders.

Makes more interceptions than any of our other midfielders except for Hayden.

Good energy for counter pressing.

Always gets some goals and assists at this level.

Good leader, organises.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Funny that you would mention Howson...only in our last league game at the age of 34 or whatever he is now..still looked better than McLean

I didn't mention him, I was responding to some fact altering by @TIL 1010

17 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Howson also generated funds at a time where we had no money.

On 25/11/2022 at 16:34, nutty nigel said:

I'm fine because I rate him 💛💚💪

Me too. Farke and Smith can't both be wrong. I think he adds consistency where others flick between form and failure. A great squad player. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

I didn't mention him, I was responding to some fact altering by @TIL 1010

I said that i seemed to recall which obviously translates with you that i stated a fact.

7 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Howson also generated funds at a time where we had no money.

We have handed Kenny a new contract when again we have no money.