cambridgeshire canary

Immigration hits all time record high

Note that figure does not include the 35-40 thousand so-called "illegal" immigrants/ asylum seekers arriving by boats. The "legitimate" figures make the "illegal" look virtually insignificant. The anti-immigrant Brexiteers will have a heart attack when they realise that those "wonderful" new trade deals we are negotiating with countries like India will depend upon a massive increase in the numbers of immigrants from those countries being allowed to reside in the UK.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Note that figure does not include the 35-40 thousand so-called "illegal" immigrants/ asylum seekers arriving by boats. The "legitimate" figures make the "illegal" look virtually insignificant. The anti-immigrant Brexiteers will have a heart attack when they realise that those "wonderful" new trade deals we are negotiating with countries like India will depend upon a massive increase in the numbers of immigrants from those countries being allowed to reside in the UK.

I always laugh at those who say "if you come to England, learn English" when they're ex-pats. Often in Spain. And can't speak Spanish.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Let's be honest, there wouldn't have been many Brits making the journey the other way. I wonder why that is 😁

Trouble is how many of the 504,000 are genuinely ready to contribute to the economy and how many will take years of acclimatisation into the UK before contributing? We lost thousands of workers from the EU who genuinely made our lives better with their hard work. We blocked these workers and opened the door for others. So much for controlling the boarders, more like shutting the EU door with massive benefits to our country and opening a chance door which has cost us billions if not trillions! Boris should be hung drawn and quartered for what he’s done to these great countries of the UK.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 5

The figure of 504,000 refers to net migration ie. the difference between the numbers arriving and leaving, not the total number of immigrants. 

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 2

It’s being monitored so closely that Braverman knew several weeks ago there was diphtheria in the camp and decided to move them untested all over the country. I am furious as I have just seen a guy on Peston say there is no quick test for diphtheria. You lying toe rag piece of s***, it is a swab, just like a pcr test, what a complete and utter load of c**** these people are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63788016

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Lady Susan Hussey now to be elevated to the Lords following her brilliant imitation of a plantation owner.

Meghan and Harry did try to tell us......

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Lady Susan Hussey now to be elevated to the Lords following her brilliant imitation of a plantation owner.

I heard she is going to be given a job as a "meet and greet" customs official on Dover beach.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Foxy2600 said:

Just went through Calais this afternoon - French have left them on the streets, refusing any applications for asylum 

https://www.gov.uk/claim-asylum/eligibility

Frog Mayoress of Calais says we are encouraging them and who is she to stop them 😂😂😂

I might be confused here but why would they apply for asylum in France, when they want to get to the U.K. as once they have applied there I don’t think they can apply here, maybe that’s totally wrong.

I also thought they kept to the camps around areas outside Calais and would not enter the town centre.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, horsefly said:

And your point is what?

As usual, nothing. Just telling the truth as it is. 

as we live in a democracy- make your own mind up ??

8 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

As usual, nothing. Just telling the truth as it is. 

as we live in a democracy- make your own mind up ??

So, what was the point of the link?

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

So, what was the point of the link?

I thought the thread was Immigration at an all-time high?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

I thought the thread was Immigration at an all-time high?

It is indeed, so feel free to explain what you think that link demonstrates in relation to your (abusively worded) claim about the mayor (not mayoress) of Calais? 

While you're at it perhaps you could also defend your claim that the "French have left them on the streets, refusing any applications for asylum". In 2021 they processed 89,354.  The graph below for 2022 up until October shows you are simply lying, so why lie about it unless you are simply out to stir up hatred?

Asylum applications for France 2022: https://tradingeconomics.com/france/asylum-applications

1396286815_Webcapture_2-12-2022_95540_tradingeconomics_com.jpeg.bb4eaf99b837652fa5024e0bc5790a6a.jpeg

• Like 1

It's the broken mechanisms which the Government claim they "can't change, wont' change" that the Public should point their anger at. Not the Immigrants / Asylum Seekers / Economic Migrants themselves.

Poor journalism from rags on both the left and the right like The Sun, The Daily Mail, and The Independent do not help this. They simply stir up anger and prejudice towards the wrong entity.

Edited by TheRock
  • Like 2

I really don't see what's wrong with an 83 year-old woman being curious about a woman's ethnic heritage and asking questions. For my tastes, that's an opportunity to learn something; it isn't if you make it a taboo to ask about it. In fact, it then becomes a reason not to talk to people where there's this background fear of causing offence, which ultimately creates an additional barrier.

It's one thing accepting differences, but it's another to expect everybody to pretend differences don't exist and then demand people don't acknowledge it while the media goes on and on and on about it.

26 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I really don't see what's wrong with an 83 year-old woman being curious about a woman's ethnic heritage and asking questions. For my tastes, that's an opportunity to learn something; it isn't if you make it a taboo to ask about it. In fact, it then becomes a reason not to talk to people where there's this background fear of causing offence, which ultimately creates an additional barrier.

It's one thing accepting differences, but it's another to expect everybody to pretend differences don't exist and then demand people don't acknowledge it while the media goes on and on and on about it.

Except she didn't ask her about her ethnic heritage. She asked her where she was from (7 times). She is from the UK. Her ethnic heritage is a separate issue which she may or may not have been willing to discuss.

My partner is from the UK and is also proud that her ethnic heritage traces back to St Kitts. She has no problem with anyone asking her about her ethnic heritage when it is asked in the right context and tone. Sadly, when such issues are raised it is all too often in the context of implying that she's not really from the UK, and not in a constructive tone of celebration of the ethnic diversity which enriches the UK born population.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was pointing out the irony of hard earned taxpayers money being spent on making a comfortable life for people that have no right to be here and the Jonny Foreigners view that concurs that those people are attracted to fact we give them a roof over their heads and money too. It now appears that the very fund that helps some people in their own countries is being redirected to pay for the result of this illegal immigration 

C4C30E6E-D0E4-43D9-9DE7-DA285FA7DFC5.png

37 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Except she didn't ask her about her ethnic heritage. She asked her where she was from (7 times). She is from the UK. Her ethnic heritage is a separate issue which she may or may not have been willing to discuss.

My partner is from the UK and is also proud that her ethnic heritage traces back to St Kitts. She has no problem with anyone asking her about her ethnic heritage when it is asked in the right context and tone. Sadly, when such issues are raised it is all too often in the context of implying that she's not really from the UK, and not in a constructive tone of celebration of the ethnic diversity which enriches the UK born population.

I wonder how Charles or even the old D of E would of answered such questions - 

Oh, you're German or Greek then 😉

There is no excuse for her line or tone of questioning. Guilty as charged.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

I was pointing out the irony of hard earned taxpayers money being spent on making a comfortable life for people that have no right to be here and the Jonny Foreigners view that concurs that those people are attracted to fact we give them a roof over their heads and money too. It now appears that the very fund that helps some people in their own countries is being redirected to pay for the result of this illegal immigration 

Another consequence of Brexit and the belligerent stance of Johnson and the other eejits. Ripping up long held agreements and antagonising the countries on the other side the border has really come back to bite us on the ****. 

Hopefully people will learn a lesson and take responsibility for their decisions and behaviour. This is highly unlikely though. 

I get the impression that some have missed the point that these figures relate to legal and controlled migration, which is either British nationals returning to the UK or non-Brits successfully applying to come to the UK according to the rules in place. Given that the rules are pretty tough, I don't think there's any question that those coming could possibly be a burden on the state.

The supporters of anti immigration have been unable to provoke for a while now and the figures released are just being used to obfuscate the problem regarding illegal immigration (even though the phrase itself is a misgnomer).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxy2600 said:

None of that explains why you referred to the mayor of Calais as a "frog" and why you felt the need to lie about the French record on asylum applications. You are also simply wrong in describing the individuals concerned as somehow de facto "illegal immigrants". That has to be determined by the facts in each individual case. Perhaps you should read the link you posted and the law regarding the rights of individuals seeking asylum.