Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

McLean to Rangers

He's out of contract at the end of the season. Not a foregone conclusion he leaves, but we have a lot of midfielders with Lungi to return as well.

Nowhere near as bad as some say but I do think its probably best to part ways at the end of this deal. The failure to upgrade on him isn't his fault but has been a really obvious demonstration of our issues in the market.

Please let this be true. 🙏

In a similar way to how we signed him from Aberdeen, surely a nominal transfer fee from Rangers should ensure they get him in January rather than wait until the summer.

To think he could be gone in as little as 6 weeks is the best early christmas present I could ask for

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

In a similar way to how we signed him from Aberdeen, surely a nominal transfer fee from Rangers should ensure they get him in January rather than wait until the summer.

To think he could be gone in as little as 6 weeks is the best early christmas present I could ask for

Excellent example of what our club has to deal with from the fanbase. I'm surprised Webber can be bothered to give as much as 90%

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Excellent example of what our club has to deal with from the fanbase. I'm surprised Webber can be bothered to give as much as 90%

If McLean is still regarded as a starter in midfield, Webber and his recruitment dept know where they can take their 90%

..I'm sure you'll be along shortly to bore us all with some of Kenny's XG stats..

Kenny has been a good servant to our club. It is not his fault that Clueless Smith has no idea how to use him. 
I will thank The Mayor for his time here and wish him well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If McLean is still regarded as a starter in midfield, Webber and his recruitment dept know where they can take their 90%

..I'm sure you'll be along shortly to bore us all with some of Kenny's XG stats..

It would be somewhat wasted on you, so no.

The fact he is a starter isn't his fault and certainly at this level he is more than capable and has proven it in two title winning seasons. This season there isn't another Central Midfielder who's managed to perform at his defensive level alongside also having a goal and a couple of assists. That both Farke and Smith rate him would normally be enough but...

I have no problem with him moving to Scotland in the summer and I think it would be good for him to start afresh away from the nonsense peddled by a section of our fanbase. At least it only seems restricted to the PinkUn as recently we've had Kenny's name sung in the stands a couple of times.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

It would be somewhat wasted on you, so no.

The fact he is a starter isn't his fault and certainly at this level he is more than capable and has proven it in two title winning seasons. This season there isn't another Central Midfielder who's managed to perform at his defensive level alongside also having a goal and a couple of assists. That both Farke and Smith rate him would normally be enough but...

I have no problem with him moving to Scotland in the summer and I think it would be good for him to start afresh away from the nonsense peddled by a section of our fanbase. At least it only seems restricted to the PinkUn as recently we've had Kenny's name sung in the stands a couple of times.

Farke and Smith both played him...and the failure in upgrading that dept in midfield could/will be a contributory factor in what costs both of them their jobs

• Like 1

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Farke and Smith both played him...and the failure in upgrading that dept in midfield could/will be a contributory factor in what costs both of them their jobs

Again, it shouldn't cost them in the Championship because Farke was able to win 2 titles regularly playing him. Where he also got 5 goals and 12 assists. Not bad figures for someone who's played centrally with defensive responsibilities for the most part.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Again, it shouldn't cost them in the Championship because Farke was able to win 2 titles regularly playing him. Where he also got 5 goals and 12 assists. Not bad figures for someone who's played centrally with defensive responsibilities for the most part.

Well it is costing us in the championship.

We've got 32 pts from a possible 63 on offer and have won 2 in 10.

Smith himself said after the Middlesbro game that we , as a team , dont do enough to close fown the opposition and win back the ball

McLean is as guilty as there is in that respect.

If he's still getting in the team when Hayden,Sara and Nunez are all fit then something as gone badly wrong with the recruitment in midfield.

It will cost Smith his job ultimately

6 hours ago, percy varco said:

Kenny has been a good servant to our club. It is not his fault that Clueless Smith has no idea how to use him. 
I will thank The Mayor for his time here and wish him well. 

I agree he's been a good servant to our club and he doesn't deserve all the bile. My main criticism of him would be his positional discipline and it's too late for that to change now. I imagine he would do very well in the Scottish Premier League where that fault won't be punished as much, except against Celtic and Rangers.

7 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Whilst i agree that his continued presence on our midfield shows the failures to recruit well and improve that element of the team I never understand why with some fans it always has to get personal with players who don’t really deserve it (some have a poor attitude and maybe do). He’s a good bloke, he’s ok at this level no he always gives his all. It’s not his fault Webber has messed up or that managers like him. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Well it is costing us in the championship.

We've got 32 pts from a possible 63 on offer and have won 2 in 10.

Smith himself said after the Middlesbro game that we , as a team , dont do enough to close fown the opposition and win back the ball

McLean is as guilty as there is in that respect.

If he's still getting in the team when Hayden,Sara and Nunez are all fit then something as gone badly wrong with the recruitment in midfield.

It will cost Smith his job ultimately

None of this explains your absolute desire to get rid of him in January.

Especially when so far he has out performed Sara and Nunez.

To want one of our better performers this season to leave in January tells me everything I need to know. Its some weird personal scapegoat desperation that some fans need to have or they feel insecure for some reason.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

None of this explains your absolute desire to get rid of him in January.

Especially when so far he has out performed Sara and Nunez.

To want one of our better performers this season to leave in January tells me everything I need to know. Its some weird personal scapegoat desperation that some fans need to have or they feel insecure for some reason.

There is more to come from Sara and Nunez ....there isnt from McLean, he's a poor player and he certainly isnt one of our better performers, he doesnt close down the opposition , he doesnt challenge in midfield and win the ball, he constantly gets overrun, his passing both short and long is erratic, constantly plays us into trouble, isnt particularly a goal threat or creates

The fact he's looked better at left back says it all

Odd that you would see a desire to see poor players dropped in favour of better players as 'weird personal scapegoat desperation'

I would hope that the fall out from Dean Smith's post Boro match vow that he will make us better without the ball sees McLean as a casualty as he is the biggest culprit.

If we can get anything for him in Jan , its a bonus

Will never be forgotten for that sublime header against Man City. Whilst I don’t expect masses of love on here for Kenny, the disrespect is out of order. He’s been a great servant for the club - rarely injured and always puts in a shift. Just unfortunately prone to at least one suicide pass per game!

• Like 1

The point people are missing is that unless there are better players than him, then Kenny doesn't play. Last season we had the useless Normann and Gilmour, this season Sara has taken an age to get where he is now, Nunez inconsistent, Hayden unfit and Gibbs covering at DM. It's really no big surprise Farke and Smith were happy to select him.

• Like 1

With 11 players out of contract in 7 months time, decisions over them will need to be made fairly shortly in any case....particularly with the situation whereby pre agreements with foreign based clubs can be made in January.

We'll soon find out which if these players the club wants to keep and which they dont

Of those they dont , or have indicated they won't be signing a new contract,it will be a case of whether they can get what they can for them in Jan, or allow them to walk on a free in June

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

18 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

With 11 players out of contract in 7 months time, decisions over them will need to be made fairly shortly in any case.

They'll practically all be released, the club will soon be in urgent cloth cutting mode.

Not looking forward to the various James Husband's and Marley Watkin's type players who come in to replace them. That's why I can't get excited about Kenny McLean leaving like you can, we could do worse and probably will. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Wouldn't surprise me if McLean gets offered a new deal tbh, especially if come January it's looking playoffs at best. 

I hope he is to be honest if he's on modest wages, don't get the hate.

Prefer him as a squad / rotation player, but the fact that he isn't is more of a an indictment on the clubs recruitment than McLean's ability, he's a decent enough squad player.

• Like 1

I’ve never understood the dislike of Kenny - will always put his shift in and has played various roles without letting us down.  Yes he makes mistakes but who doesn’t - supporters seem to focus on his and let big errors by others slide by.

I’ll hold my hands up and say I’m one of his biggest critics as I see him as the one player who has one good game in three, he’s prone to give the ball away in dangerous areas and he’s great at waving his arms around, though he certainly gives it all for full 90.

That said he’s certainly a decent championship player, possibly I’m too critical of McLean and maybe my issues aren’t actually at McLean but why in five years we’ve not managed to buy better? Maybe that’s my frustration that in two years in the premiership parachute money and we still get McLean as first on team sheet by managers. Maybe we’re too harsh on McLean and not harsh enough on his replacements!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

There is more to come from Sara and Nunez ....there isnt from McLean, he's a poor player and he certainly isnt one of our better performers, he doesnt close down the opposition , he doesnt challenge in midfield and win the ball, he constantly gets overrun, his passing both short and long is erratic, constantly plays us into trouble, isnt particularly a goal threat or creates

The fact he's looked better at left back says it all

Odd that you would see a desire to see poor players dropped in favour of better players as 'weird personal scapegoat desperation'

I would hope that the fall out from Dean Smith's post Boro match vow that he will make us better without the ball sees McLean as a casualty as he is the biggest culprit.

If we can get anything for him in Jan , its a bonus

He's created more than Nunez this season. He passes successfully more often than Nunez or Sara. He makes more tackles than Sara and Gibbs. He makes more interceptions than Nunez, Hayden, Gibbs and Sara per game.

These are stats, not misconceptions because you can't see past your pre-determined nonsense opinion based on nothing. I'm giving you facts. You are demonstrably wrong in pretty much every single thing you said above.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

There is more to come from Sara and Nunez

Right, so that's two centre midfielders.

How many centre midfielders do you think a squad needs? Because it is more than two. 

In the summer we'll need another DM because yet again we've failed to recruit a permanent one, we could do without having to replace McLean as well.

Meanwhile I think its time to end the myth and accept that Sorenson hasn't made the grade.

I do believe the McLean to Rangers thing as he's 30 and he'll be looking for a 3 year deal, and I can't see him getting 3 years here with financial uncertainty. 

I won't be celebrating when he leaves though, not when I've seen the tripe that we have to endure in a post-parachute payment world, not when I've seen the likes of Mark Fotheringham grace the hallowed turf of Carrow Road. 

36 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Right, so that's two centre midfielders.

How many centre midfielders do you think a squad needs? Because it is more than two. 

In the summer we'll need another DM because yet again we've failed to recruit a permanent one, we could do without having to replace McLean as well.

Meanwhile I think its time to end the myth and accept that Sorenson hasn't made the grade.

I do believe the McLean to Rangers thing as he's 30 and he'll be looking for a 3 year deal, and I can't see him getting 3 years here with financial uncertainty. 

I won't be celebrating when he leaves though, not when I've seen the tripe that we have to endure in a post-parachute payment world, not when I've seen the likes of Mark Fotheringham grace the hallowed turf of Carrow Road. 

The trouble is our manager still regards him as first choice. He should be no more than a cover/squad player for us, performing the fill in role that Sorenson did a couple if seasons ago but that shouldnt be enough to warrant keeping him and I dont imagine he'd want that either, especially if his boyhood ckub really are interested.

He's a 'poor' jack of all trades. Our other midfielders are all better than him at one midfield attribute or the other. He should only be being called upon to fill in for one if them if unavaible to do his usual 6 out of 10 job

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The trouble is our manager still regards him as first choice. He should be no more than a cover/squad player for us, performing the fill in role that Sorenson did a couple if seasons ago but that shouldnt be enough to warrant keeping him and I dont imagine he'd want that either, especially if his boyhood ckub really are interested.

He's a 'poor' jack of all trades. Our other midfielders are all better than him at one midfield attribute or the other. He should only be being called upon to fill in for one if them if unavaible to do his usual 6 out of 10 job

Sara, Sorenson, Nunez, Gibbs. 

For three midfield spots.

We'd need to bring in at least 2 centre midfield players in the summer if we lose McLean.

All good in principle only we need countless other players also.

Looking increasingly like a complete rebuild is going to be required.  I'd personally prefer celebrating if we managed to squeeze a few hundred grand out of somebody for Placheta. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten