Sign in to follow this  
The Raptor

Ignoring the world cup

Yes. I see the irony in writing another thread about a world cup I'm trying to avoid...

What are people doing instead of watching the world cup? I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the gym. And also someone's lent me a box set of "The Wire' which I've heard is pretty good....

• Like 1

Working during most games anyway, whilst not actively boycotting it, not bothered about it either. Normally I'd book a couple of weeks off work during the first two weeks.

Have always wanted England to win it once in my lifetime, not sure I actually want it to be this one.  We'll see if I get more into it as it goes on.

I'm currently watching the opening game so can't say I've done a fantastic job of ignoring it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Surely interest in it will increase as it goes on; it’s football and I’ll watch it if I’m about.  Matches seem to be 1pm, 4pm and 7pm so fine for a UK audience.  Those avoiding due to some sort of moral argument ought to have a think about Russia last time and various other tournaments/venues - many are contentious and I saw no one moaning when the World Athletics were held there, nor when Liverpool played in the club world championship. It’s not the fault of the footballers that it’s being held where it is. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Surely interest in it will increase as it goes on; it’s football and I’ll watch it if I’m about.  Matches seem to be 1pm, 4pm and 7pm so fine for a UK audience.  Those avoiding due to some sort of moral argument ought to have a think about Russia last time and various other tournaments/venues - many are contentious and I saw no one moaning when the World Athletics were held there, nor when Liverpool played in the club world championship. It’s not the fault of the footballers that it’s being held where it is. 

You've missed the 10am ones.  Also no one gave two ****s about the athletics 

Edited by Ken Hairy

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

And also someone's lent me a box set of "The Wire' which I've heard is pretty good....

Not just pretty good, one of the best things ever made for TV, that's a worthy use of your time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

You've missed the 10am ones.  Also no one gave two ****s about the athletics 

I think they did - and all the other long list of events they’ve held and will be holding there.

I’m no fan of their regime or the tournament being there, but it is happening. Russia has a horrific regime and has recently held both a world Cup and Winter Olympics.

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think they did - and all the other long list of events they’ve held and will be holding there.

I’m no fan of their regime or the tournament being there, but it is happening. Russia has a horrific regime and has recently held both a world Cup and Winter Olympics.

The outfit that runs Russia leaves a lot to be desired but they're not on the same level as the Dark Age guys currently staging the World Cup.

4 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Have always wanted England to win it once in my lifetime, not sure I actually want it to be this one. 

Indeed, it would be a relief if England wasn't crap in the next life as well.

26 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

The outfit that runs Russia leaves a lot to be desired but they're not on the same level as the Dark Age guys currently staging the World Cup.

Quite - though it’s only a matter of degrees.  I do think the vast majority were unaware of/didn’t care about the likes of Qatar, but there has been quite a lot of focus on it due to the random/ridiculous decision for the world cup to go there.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

It's sad when the decision whether to watch a football match becomes a political one. But the fans aren't to blame, nor the players, nor the people making whatever protests they are allowed to make. The blame lies with the football authorities. As to why they chose Qatar, we can only speculate. Unlike Branston in the post above, I doubt it is random.

The latest announcement that Kane will get a yellow card if he wears a rainbow armband has personally swung me over to not watching.

15 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Yes. I see the irony in writing another thread about a world cup I'm trying to avoid...

What are people doing instead of watching the world cup? I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the gym. And also someone's lent me a box set of "The Wire' which I've heard is pretty good....

Have a look at 'The English' which is on iplayer. Extraordinary piece of tv. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

If he gets a yellow card for wearing it, will he immediately get a second yellow and therefore a red if he refuses to take it off?  And will the whole team get a yellow card for taking a knee in support of whatever it is that taking a knee represents these days?  It perhaps would have been better if football stuck to football.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

If he gets a yellow card for wearing it, will he immediately get a second yellow and therefore a red if he refuses to take it off?  And will the whole team get a yellow card for taking a knee in support of whatever it is that taking a knee represents these days?  It perhaps would have been better if football stuck to football.

By choosing Qatar, the football authorities politicised it, so sticking to football was no longer possible.

Either the authorities were incredibly naive about this decision and are not competent or they made it for reasons best known to themselves (I wonder what those could be?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

By choosing Qatar, the football authorities politicised it, so sticking to football was no longer possible.

Either the authorities were incredibly naive about this decision and are not competent or they made it for reasons best known to themselves (I wonder what those could be?)

They weren't naive, they took bribes from Qatar. It wasn't a case of making an illformed decision, some of the FIFA representatives were just corrupt and greedy. 

Having watched Welcome to Wrexham on Disney plus I now have a soft spot for the club so I shall be watching there games if at all possible while the World Cup is on. Outside of that I have plenty of other interests to keep me busy if they aren’t on bt or streaming. I’ve been really enjoying the Andor series on Disney plus also and very much enjoy Somebody feed Phil on Netflix. 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Have a look at 'The English' which is on iplayer. Extraordinary piece of tv. 

Yes, this is on my list too. Started to watch Shantaram on Apple TV and liking that.

I see there's a series 2 of Tehran, the first one was very good if you haven't seen it.

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Having watched Welcome to Wrexham on Disney plus I now have a soft spot for the club so I shall be watching there games if at all possible while the World Cup is on. Outside of that I have plenty of other interests to keep me busy if they aren’t on bt or streaming. I’ve been really enjoying the Andor series on Disney plus also and very much enjoy Somebody feed Phil on Netflix. 

Are Wrexham in the World Cup?

Did you watch the Formula 1 yesterday? It was in Abu Dhabi I believe.

Not too much heard about the oppression of LGBT rights there. Still that's the elite sport of motor racing not the working class game football.

Hypocrites.

Abu Dhabi

Article 80 of the Abu Dhabi Penal Code makes sodomy punishable by imprisonment of up to 14 years. Several news reports have revealed how the law is typically enforced. Cross-dressing is also likewise illegal.

In 2005, 26 young men were arrested at an Abu Dhabi hotel after police discovered the men engaging in cross-dressing and homosexual practices. In discussing the raid, Mohammed bin Nukhaira Al Dhahiri, Minister of Justice, Islamic Affairs and Auqaf stated, "There will be no room for homosexual and queer acts in the UAE. Our society does not accept queer behaviour, either in word or in action".Initial reports suggested that some of these men were ordered to be given experimental hormone treatments, although the Government subsequently backed off from these statements. The men were all given a five-year prison sentence.

On 9 August 2017, Emirati police in Abu Dhabi detained two Singaporean nationals in a shopping mall. A court convicted them of crimes and sentenced them to one year in prison "for attempting to resemble women". The UAE deported them on 28 August after they spent nearly three weeks in custody, much of that time in a cell they said was designated for "effeminate" people.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

Did you watch the Formula 1 yesterday? It was in Abu Dhabi I believe.

Hypocrites

Don't you have to wait for them to confirm that they did watch the Formula 1 before calling them hypocrites? 

• Like 1

I did wonder how people who said they were ignoring the W Cup are faring.  It is still a slightly different feel, but I think that’s mostly due to the time of year. 

38 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I did wonder how people who said they were ignoring the W Cup are faring.  It is still a slightly different feel, but I think that’s mostly due to the time of year. 

Wasn't going to follow it, but guess it's difficult to ignore completely, as it is a significant sporting event in it's own right, but haven't watched a match yet, seen little bits and kept up with what's going on in terms of results, but that's all. Biggest interest in it for me was to see how Josh Sargent got on.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

I was never going to ignore it but its been a great world cup so far. I only personally know one person who went out to Qatar and they've really enjoyed it and been well looked after.

The amount of upsets have made it a really entertaining tournament.

Having a lot more time on my hands it's been impossible to ignore it, in fact the TV scheduling is great and I've watched pretty much every game!

It's been a really good tournament, one of the best. The challenge for me will be staying interested right the way through til May once we have to trade down to Championship football.

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Having a lot more time on my hands it's been impossible to ignore it, in fact the TV scheduling is great and I've watched pretty much every game!

It's been a really good tournament, one of the best. The challenge for me will be staying interested right the way through til May once we have to trade down to Championship football.

To each, their own.

Personally, in preference to watching a WC game between two sides in whom I have no emotional attachment, I would sooner jump in the car and watch a local game at Wroxham or Mulbarton, or Yarmouth, Lowestoft or Dereham etc. (Obviously only can do in on Sat afternoons or most midweeks.)

Not saying it's more virtuous at all, and not begrudging you your pleasure,  but top level games bore me and generally I can only watch them for 20 minutes or so. That's long enough to get a feel for the sides, but not really interested in continuing to watch as I don't really care who comes up on top.

Vive la difference!

I’ve been enjoying docs like the one about the Cameroon team in 1990, and might even have a look at the Netflix doc on FIFA. I’m noticing and enjoying other things now I’m having a break from football, like Titus Andronicus playing in my local club, MOTH, my current fav is - I’m Screwed ! 

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I hadn’t watched any games and hadn’t missed it, but went on a pubcrawl in London on Friday and saw a bit of the Brazil game, then was in another pub last night where they were showing the Argentina match. Back to ignoring it again now. 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Wasn't going to follow it, but guess it's difficult to ignore completely, as it is a significant sporting event in it's own right, but haven't watched a match yet, seen little bits and kept up with what's going on in terms of results, but that's all. Biggest interest in it for me was to see how Josh Sargent got on.

Pretty much this.

Only watched the bits of the Group games involving Josh Sargent and the last ten minutes of the Japan v Spain match when it looked like they might scupper Uruguay's World Cup. Watching Suarez sobbing his little heart out was a joy to behold.

If England manage to get past Senegal I might tune in to their last eight match but not really fussed one way or the other to be honest.