Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Resilient πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²

This is absolutely a class act by the club. Gave me goosebumps. Well done and congratulations to Josh and his family for his achievements and long may it continue.

Sometimes gets some undeserved criticism on here but he's still only 22 years old soΒ plenty of time for improvement.Β 

Keep up the hard work Josh.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Β 

Well done Josh πŸ‘ βœ”οΈ πŸ‘. Enjoy the moments.Β 

3 hours ago, 7HAR1980 said:

This is absolutely a class act by the club. Gave me goosebumps. Well done and congratulations to Josh and his family for his achievements and long may it continue.

Sometimes gets some undeserved criticism on here but he's still only 22 years old soΒ plenty of time for improvement.Β 

Keep up the hard work Josh.

I’ve not watched it yet but I will be over the next few days.Β 

Last season I criticised him a lot, I felt for the money we spent on him his output was minimal although with hindsight I think a lot of that will be due to smith playing him out of position. I would still stand by the fact that he did not do enough last season but that can be said about the whole squad. I am however still haunted by the miss against Brighton.Β 
Β 

This season he’s done fantastic but time will tell if it’s just the dropping down a level which has helped.Β The fact he can put a shift in,Β which has made him stand outΒ against the backdrop of an underperforming squad,Β is an example to the rest of the squad of what the minimum expectations should be to play here.Β 

41 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’ve not watched it yet but I will be over the next few days.Β 

Last season I criticised him a lot, I felt for the money we spent on him his output was minimal although with hindsight I think a lot of that will be due to smith playing him out of position. I would still stand by the fact that he did not do enough last season but that can be said about the whole squad. I am however still haunted by the miss against Brighton.Β 
Β 

This season he’s done fantastic but time will tell if it’s just the dropping down a level which has helped.Β The fact he can put a shift in,Β which has made him stand outΒ against the backdrop of an underperforming squad,Β is an example to the rest of the squad of what the minimum expectations should be to play here.Β 

I will never understand the fans that believe he never did enough. His work rate has always been there for everyone to see.

He was 21 when he signed. He'd never played in the UK before let alone at the highest level in the UK.Β 

His price tag is not his fault and he came to a side that was always going to struggle in the Premier League.

I'm not sure exactly how much fans expected from him.

• Like 2

Love to see this type of content from the club. Comes across as a really great character with all the mental and physical attributes to succeed. I've been critical of his touch and technique, but never doubted his work rate or commitment.

Also, was Deano channeling Farke with his black Boss polo shirt?

I have said it before but if he works as hard on his game off the pitch as he does when he is on the pitch then either we will sell for a ton of money or he scores loads of goals for us.

1 hour ago, 7HAR1980 said:

I will never understand the fans that believe he never did enough. His work rate has always been there for everyone to see.

He was 21 when he signed. He'd never played in the UK before let alone at the highest level in the UK.Β 

His price tag is not his fault and he came to a side that was always going to struggle in the Premier League.

It's interesting that DF is quoted in the film saying something along the lines of "we expect him to be an asset in the medium and long term, and hopefully in the short term as well". It was always expecting too much for him to take the PL by storm aged 21. If he was capable of that, he'd have signed for someone else! But it looks as though he will be a medium- and long-term asset. I bet we sell him for more than we paid.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how likely Josh is to start for USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!?

I'm struggling to generate much enthusiasm for this tainted tournament, but if Sarge plays against England that might get me there.

It's a good video from our club. Great to see Josh's story but also great to see our part and our standing in the global game. As Josh steps on to the world stage through this video our club goes with him. And why not? He's our asset and we paid big money to get him. If he has a good world cup this video will be seen by all the clubs and players in the US and beyond.

I wonder how long before we see the phonecalls from the England manager when players are called up. Seeing that surprised me but then why not? Everything else is done for the TV audience. I wonder if it was Josh Sargent's call up sponsored by Macdonald's.

Anyway, for those who love to moan this is an eye-opener about how far our club has come under Michael, Delia and the Webbers. All since the bond issue that also wasn't liked. I don't think you'll see the likes of this from our tinpot neighbours for many a year. It's taken them 4 years to beat enough third rate teams to be able to challenge for promotion from League One. I remember at the start of all this we did 'A Question Of Sport' Norwich v the binners. Norwich of course won easily but Terry Butcher lamented about as a club how far the binners were behind us. I even felt a bit sorry for him. He must be peering well into the distance now...

Β 

Β 

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I wonder if it was Josh Sargent's call up sponsored by Macdonald's.

I think it was sponsored by a telecomms company. AT&T?

8 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I think it was sponsored by a telecomms company. AT&T?

Thanks Robert I didn't catch that. πŸ‘

Β 

What a journey Josh and his Dad have been on ! Great guys. IΒ found that fascinating and moving. Must be lots of us watched our boys play youth football. Β Mine did , through the youth teams for Loddon and then Beccles. Absolutely loved it . Can you imagine …..

Mood was set and I welled upΒ seeing Farke again !Β 

Β 

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 7HAR1980 said:

He didn’t do enough, yes he worked hard and ran a lot but that should be the bare minimum expectation on a professional footballer getting paid 45k a week give or take. His actual out put was below par which could be said for the entire team but don’t confuse the fact that he ran a lot with tangible end product. Yes he was / is young, yes he didn’t control the price tag same as any other footballer.Β 
Β 

I expected more end product from him which I think couldΒ be said for the entire team and still can be bar one or two. We are not a side that can afford to spend 8 million on potential that’s what our academy is supposed to be for.Β 
Β 

I’ve just watched the documentary and I thought it was good. He comes across very well and a really likeable chap.Β 

51 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

He didn’t do enough, yes he worked hard and ran a lot but that should be the bare minimum expectation on a professional footballer getting paid 45k a week give or take. His actual out put was below par which could be said for the entire team but don’t confuse the fact that he ran a lot with tangible end product. Yes he was / is young, yes he didn’t control the price tag same as any other footballer.Β 
Β 

I expected more end product from him which I think couldΒ be said for the entire team and still can be bar one or two. We are not a side that can afford to spend 8 million on potential that’s what our academy is supposed to be for.Β 
Β 

I’ve just watched the documentary and I thought it was good. He comes across very well and a really likeable chap.Β 

Maybe your expectation is far too high?

After all, he's not Haaland.Β 

Great sales video that, should ensure we get top dollar in the January sales for Sargent's transfer. The money raised here mustΒ be seen as a priority, but surely getting him to work even more effectively in a promotion chasing team is a bigger priority than raising his transfer price?

The executive should get the basicsΒ at Carrow Road sorted first. I've said it before, there are a lot of nuts and bolts under the hood that are not working within the sales and marketing team. Such "nice" projects for that team to work on, should only be attempted once the rest of the operation is purring like a Rolls Royce. The timing of this is very poor in my view, despite the World CupΒ - one wonders if he has a poor World Cup whether this will just look like a vanity project. Where is the corporate governance that would have ensured a proper focus.Β 

Not having a dig at Josh BTW - I want him to do well for us and his country. But really, it highlights so many weaknesses in the current operation ........Β πŸ€”

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Great sales video that, should ensure we get top dollar in the January sales for Sargent's transfer. The money raised here mustΒ be seen as a priority, but surely getting him to work even more effectively in a promotion chasing team is a bigger priority than raising his transfer price?

The executive should get the basicsΒ at Carrow Road sorted first. I've said it before, there are a lot of nuts and bolts under the hood that are not working within the sales and marketing team. Such "nice" projects for that team to work on, should only be attempted once the rest of the operation is purring like a Rolls Royce. The timing of this is very poor in my view, despite the World CupΒ - one wonders if he has a poor World Cup whether this will just look like a vanity project. Where is the corporate governance that would have ensured a proper focus.Β 

Not having a dig at Josh BTW - I want him to do well for us and his country. But really, it highlights so many weaknesses in the current operation ........Β πŸ€”

Did you watch the video? There's no video we can make to sell Josh. He's already on the radar of all the top clubs. Only his performances would trigger clubs to come in for him. Of all the sticks you use this is the most ridiculous of all. How could this video be a sales video?

What the video does is highlight our club along side Josh's world cup. And why not? In future the best American talent will have our club on THEIR radar.

You corporate governance has a hole in it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Did you watch the video? There's no video we can make to sell Josh. He's already on the radar of all the top clubs. Only his performances would trigger clubs to come in for him. Of all the sticks you use this is the most ridiculous of all. How could this video be a sales video?

What the video does is highlight our club along side Josh's world cup. And why not? In future the best American talent will have our club on THEIR radar.

You corporate governance has a hole in it.

Yes, I watched the video and I hear you Nutty! πŸ˜‰Β 

But my view from an executive's perspective is valid - the sales and marketing team is in a mess. Period.

We can play tennis on here now, or you can let my view rest and ignore it. I know your MO and appreciate your efforts, but I am leaving my view aboveΒ stand. It is equally valid to yours.

Whatever, I support the team.

OTBC.Β πŸ’šπŸ’›

Just now, shefcanary said:

Yes, I watched the video and I hear you Nutty! πŸ˜‰Β 

But my view from an executive's perspective is valid - the sales and marketing team is in a mess. Period.

We can play tennis on here now, or you can let my view rest and ignore it. I know your MO and appreciate your efforts, but I am leaving my view aboveΒ stand. It is equally valid to yours.

Whatever, I support the team.

OTBC.Β πŸ’šπŸ’›

I thought it was a discussion forum. I just want to understand how this is a sales video?

Β 

Edited by nutty nigel

Really great watch - perfect way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon πŸ™‚

5 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Or maybe yours are too low and that’s why you accept mediocre?Β 

No one said i accept mediocre and Josh Sargent is not mediocre?

He performed admirably for a 21 year old in an underperforming premier league side!

• Like 1

Was never the problem last year to be fair to him and while I'm as guilty as anyone else of getting on players back at times, perhaps sometimes unfairly I've always liked and supported Sargent. Right now he's a top Championship level striker who on his day can perform in the odd PL game so he's worth the 8m we paid for him already, even if that's a lot of money for us it really isn't for that level of player overall by other clubs standards. Here's hoping he really develops over the next few years and can make that step up if and when we get promoted again. His problem is confidence (at times), consistency and positioning/movement in and around the box which are all things that can be improved. His finishing with his feet gets a lot of flack but I think that's more of a confidence issue and the fact he isn't always in the best place at the best time to take shots on goal which can be worked on. He's already a strong lad Β by Championship standards but if he could fill out a bit more as well that would be useful, he's too much for a lot of Championship defenders to deal with but he struggled to bully PL defenders last time so if he can improve his physicality even more he could be a real handful for us in the PL if we go up again.Β 

• Like 1