Sign in to follow this  
KernowCanary

Tonight’s Auntie Beeb schedule hogging event…..

Seriously I fúcking hate it. I may sound like a miserable old git, but it's really the sh*ttiest thing ever. 

I'll happily give money to charity, I don't need washed up here today gone tomorrow celebs pretending to be Benny and Bjorn from ABBA, or the BBC news team dressing up like Queen to give money, let alone celebs playing musical chairs in the studio while trying to cheat as an attempt to pass it off as being funny. It just seems like its used by a lot of Z-Listers to try and increase their reputation or get back on TV. 

Even the fundraising done by the general public is annoying. I don't mean people who cycle from land's end to john O'Groats, that's actually amazing. I mean the people who go into work dressed as a giant dildo or such nonsense (obviously I'm aware no one actually dresses up like a giant dildo to raise money, I'm exaggerating) and their fundraising effort is clearly more about getting attention then actually helping people. Why can't people just give money or make an effort all year round to help others, rather then needing incentives to do it once a year and in a really superficial manner?

Oh yes, that's right.... it's Children in Need I'm talking about, or that time of the year yet again, where that yellow bear suit comes out of the bbc costume closet.

To avoid profanity like at the start, I'm just going to say "Sorry i just can't stand it".

All the fake wackiness, such as someone shaving their head for donations...... blah blah, shut up, thats not gonna impress me. If I want to give money i'll give it, you don't have to create a big hoo har “Aunty Beeb”.

Is it really necessary to have a whole SIX hour programme for it too?. Does anyone actually watch the whole 6 hours?; its full of sh*t.

Why does this charity get 'special treatment'; a whole 6 hours of advertising if you like, PLUS more on other programmes ie when other charitys barely get a 30 sec commercial on other stations.

That’s the beeb for you. I guess its a beeb charity so they can do it, but its way too OTT.

It does pee me off when I see a celeb who has the money to buy 5 bmw's, 3 mansions and a jumbo jet while dodging tax begging the 'ordinary person' to give money.

It’s only the C list celebs really trying to give a damn.

Also, why does pudsey bear wear a bandage?, whoever did that to him i'd like to shake their hand.

I hate the way i felt forced at school to take part, by dressing up as something or put some change in the bucket being told to “Surrender [our] Dollars” when it came round.

Yep, the beeb love milking this one.

Rant over.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

Seriously I fúcking hate it. I may sound like a miserable old git, but it's really the sh*ttiest thing ever. 

I'll happily give money to charity, I don't need washed up here today gone tomorrow celebs pretending to be Benny and Bjorn from ABBA, or the BBC news team dressing up like Queen to give money, let alone celebs playing musical chairs in the studio while trying to cheat as an attempt to pass it off as being funny. It just seems like its used by a lot of Z-Listers to try and increase their reputation or get back on TV. 

Even the fundraising done by the general public is annoying. I don't mean people who cycle from land's end to john O'Groats, that's actually amazing. I mean the people who go into work dressed as a giant dildo or such nonsense (obviously I'm aware no one actually dresses up like a giant dildo to raise money, I'm exaggerating) and their fundraising effort is clearly more about getting attention then actually helping people. Why can't people just give money or make an effort all year round to help others, rather then needing incentives to do it once a year and in a really superficial manner?

Oh yes, that's right.... it's Children in Need I'm talking about, or that time of the year yet again, where that yellow bear suit comes out of the bbc costume closet.

To avoid profanity like at the start, I'm just going to say "Sorry i just can't stand it".

All the fake wackiness, such as someone shaving their head for donations...... blah blah, shut up, thats not gonna impress me. If I want to give money i'll give it, you don't have to create a big hoo har “Aunty Beeb”.

Is it really necessary to have a whole SIX hour programme for it too?. Does anyone actually watch the whole 6 hours?; its full of sh*t.

Why does this charity get 'special treatment'; a whole 6 hours of advertising if you like, PLUS more on other programmes ie when other charitys barely get a 30 sec commercial on other stations.

That’s the beeb for you. I guess its a beeb charity so they can do it, but its way too OTT.

It does pee me off when I see a celeb who has the money to buy 5 bmw's, 3 mansions and a jumbo jet while dodging tax begging the 'ordinary person' to give money.

Also, why does pudsey bear wear a bandage?, whoever did that to him i'd like to shake their hand.

I hate the way i felt forced at school to take part, by dressing up as something or put some change in the bucket being told to “Surrender [our] Dollars” when it came round.

Rant over.

Enjoyed and agree with that "rant" Kernow. Very hard not to retch at the sight of a wealthy celeb wandering teary-eyed among the homeless when you know he/she is probably simultaneously tussling with the dilemma of whether to visit their second home in North Norfolk this weekend or the third home in Devon. Chief among my "hate" figures in this regard is Bono; the owner of 6-star hotels who flew his (forgotten) hat to the US on a private jet, who nonetheless finds no problem in exhorting the rest of us to cough up our cash to help the starving and homeless of Africa. 

I have nothing but praise for those who work for charities and campaign so hard for the causes of people experiencing devastating disadvantages. Likewise, I have nothing but praise for the decency and kindred spirit demonstrated by ordinary people contributing to charities. The motivations of both generate from the very best instincts of human beings to help those in need. However, there are genuinely serious questions to be asked about the increasingly prevalent role that charities are playing in addressing issues that really should be addressed politically through government action. One of those questions raises the concern that charities contribute to the prolonging of the very problems they seek to address by absolving governments from taking the political action required to resolve them. 

let's take one example, foodbanks. There are now over 2000 foodbanks in the UK; I don't remember there being any at all in my youth. It used to be the case that it was considered to be the job of government alone to address the problem of food poverty through the taxation and benefit system and policies such as free school meals. We now have a government that seeks to exploit the goodwill and decency of ordinary compassionate citizens to mitigate food poverty rather than see this as an issue that is fundamentally its responsibility to resolve. The dilemma, of course, is that while foodbanks exist the government of the day is encouraged to ignore its responsibility to act to make their existence redundant, however, for many of us it is simply impossible to pass by a food collection without dropping a can or two into its basket. The very idea that the relief of food poverty in the 6th wealthiest country in the world should depend on the vicissitudes of charitable donation is frankly shameful. Already we are witness to the danger of this reality as the cost-of-living crisis has seen contributions to foodbanks seriously decline.

I doubt there is a single visitor to this website who doesn't "happily" contribute to several charities one way or another. However, I find it truly alarming that so many areas of society now depend upon charitable support to make up for the failure of government responsibility and action.

I feel like me and you would get on pretty well Kernow.

Top rant. I give it a solid 9.2.

I also appreciate someone who isn't afraid of a being a bit savage.

Great effort. Highly rated and agreed with in full.

One way they could consider improving in future would be to avoid musical chairs type **** and consider putting these Z-listers into a squid games type scenario. I would happily watch that.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

I feel like me and you would get on pretty well Kernow.

Top rant. I give it a solid 9.2.

I also appreciate someone who isn't afraid of a being a bit savage.

Great effort. Highly rated and agreed with in full.

One way they could consider improving in future would be to avoid musical chairs type **** and consider putting these Z-listers into a squid games type scenario. I would happily watch that.

Full marks. It has now become a "look how brilliant I am" show (onions under the eyes when a clip of handicapped children is shown) and how marvellous I am to give up my time. Don't forget Wogan used to get paid well at one time for hosting it.

Everything is about bleddy celebrities nowadays. We must genuflect to some fat old trout who was on Pointless once. When they all get together, I liken to a chicken battery farm. Just endless noise that the rest of the world blanks out.

• Like 2

This chimes with Adele's reaction regarding Live 8. She didn't participate and just gave money to charity.

I think as inequality grows, this sort of resentment of being encouraged to give money when a lot of the people it's directed at can't afford it can only inspire more resentment.

Trouble is, arguably the idea of being charitable is worthy of some collective celebration in its own right; if you take away Live Aid, Children in Need, and so on, then all you're left with is begging emails, adverts on daytime TV, and chuggers on the high street.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

Rant over.

How much did you pledge though? 

Yes. 

20 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Great overall rant. I feel pretty much the same. This has to be my favourite sentence tho! Can't stop laughing 

• Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 10:45, PurpleCanary said:

I didn't realise Brexit meant the UK had reverted to just one TV channel which everyone was forced to watch...🤩

I can only imagine his TV is broken and stuck on BBC One, otherwise yeah, just change the channel...

On 19/11/2022 at 10:45, keelansgrandad said:

Full marks. It has now become a "look how brilliant I am" show (onions under the eyes when a clip of handicapped children is shown) and how marvellous I am to give up my time. Don't forget Wogan used to get paid well at one time for hosting it.

Everything is about bleddy celebrities nowadays. We must genuflect to some fat old trout who was on Pointless once. When they all get together, I liken to a chicken battery farm. Just endless noise that the rest of the world blanks out.

The Today Programme announced a guest editor slot for a member of the public this morning, which I thought was quite a nice departure from the celebrity thing for a change.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 23:22, KernowCanary said:

Why can't people just give money or make an effort all year round to help others, rather then needing incentives to do it once a year and in a really superficial manner?

Firstly, thanks for using a readable font. Very thoughtful.

Secondly, I knew a social worker (now retired) who was absolutely scathing about Children in Need. Social Services were (and probably still are) chronically underfunded by the government. In her profession, they saw Children in Need as a way of excusing this.

But, as you know, people don't vote for higher taxes to help the less fortunate.