I wish England all the best but if we don’t make the knockout stages I’d be disappointed for around 30 seconds. Norwich win the League Cup or England the World Cup isn’t even a question for me. How about you? 

• Like 1

Yep. Club. International football other than during the actual tournament bores the hole off me and is an unwelcome interruption to a season. 

I'd rather Norwich win a throw in than England win the World Cup. I want Josh Sargent to score against us so bad.

Edited by Captain Holt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Best of both worlds. Scotland winning the world cup 4:3 AET against England to cap off a brilliant season of Norwich winning the treble and the Champions League.

2 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Best of both worlds. Scotland winning the world cup 4:3 AET against England to cap off a brilliant season of Norwich winning the treble and the Champions League.

That’s got to be around evens at any generous bookmakers, pile on. 

• Haha 1

Interesting. As a lad NCFC was all consuming. Constantly in my head from the moment I woke up.  Yet Country was at a different plane above all that.
Difficult to describe. Kind of like club football was the stuff of mortals , international football was the stuff of the gods.If that makes any sense 😂.

Grown up a bit now. 💚💛 Club first now . Still love 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I am nearly 60 . Got to be partly an age thing. 

Edited by Pockthorpe

World Cup v League Cup, it would be World Cup everytime. Especially if it were beating Argentina or Germany. Sorry guys.

Winning the EPL then different, but not the poxy Harabo Cup.

Edited by Capt. Pants

Club 

Struggled to must any support up for the last 10 years of international football 

This WC being the least interest in football I've ever had, probably not helped by NCFC current sh1tery

I love international football as a whole but I don't particularly care about England. The first World Cup I remember watching was 2002 and that was magical for me in regards to England. I'm sure that was partially because I was very young but the string of managers we had since have really sucked most of the joy out of it.

Used to get terribly invested in England and particularly World Cups but now it feels like an irritation and a distraction from the proper football. Club 100%.

Club of course. Football is different to other sports such as Rugby and Cricket. Its parochial and tribal. You don't hear much singing at Saracens v Harlequins but Swing Low is well sung at Twickenham.

As for the England team, I want them to win but I won't be grumpy all weekend if we lose.

I’ve found watching England deeply uninspiring for years now. 

Maybe we will grind ourselves to a tournament win by being hard to beat but I don’t know if I care.

Maybe I’m just misremembering with rose tinted glasses but I feel I remember the England teams of my youth being in general much more fun to watch.

Club over country regardless.

Club, always, but wanting England to do well.  One issue with England is that all too often the selection hasn’t felt anything other than representative of just a few clubs, the rest have to go the extra mile to get any recognition. Maddison is a great example of this…as is Maguire the other way, these days (even though he was at a Leicester when first picked).

This World Cup is ridiculously low key, but and I’m sure we’ll get more invested in it as the tournament progresses.  I see FIFA are continuing to do a ‘great’ job, their head being anything but conciliatory on the eve of the tournament.

It’s always nice to see England doing well at a tournament, it’s like a nice break and I do enjoy it. Although, this year, who knows what that is in Qatar. A tournament? A circus?

But Norwich is the bread and butter, obviously.

I feel so sorry for big club fans that never go to games and don’t actually know what’s going on. Or “I’m just a fan of football” fans who “do the fantasy league”. “FIFA fans” if you like.

I even heard a new term recently, “seasonal fans” where some people will pick a team for the year and just support them for a year “im an arsenal fan this year but next season I’m thinking of dabbling in Man City” never seen one in the wild but apparently they are real and very annoyed that they are being persecuted, straying hashtags and crying about it.

there’s never been a weirder time for football

9 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

I love international football as a whole but I don't particularly care about England. The first World Cup I remember watching was 2002 and that was magical for me in regards to England. I'm sure that was partially because I was very young but the string of managers we had since have really sucked most of the joy out of it.

Football is the world game and the World Cup is the ultimate expression of that. Imagine what it must been like, for example, for a lone North Korean to watch their team beat Italy at a stadium in Middlesbrough in 1966. Or for a German fan to count the seven goals going in against Brazil in Belo Horizonte in 2014.

But I do understand that it probably helps if England is not your team, so you poor people are spared the spared the biennial angst of laughing your way through the qualification matches and then losing to the first really good team you come up against in the finals...😍

16 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

I'd rather Norwich win a throw in than England win the World Cup. I want Josh Sargent to score against us so bad.

I cannot relate to the current squad and manager in the slightest and would so like Sarge to do well and if it means beating England, then I'd be happy with that. 

• Like 1

Club. I'd be very happy for about 10 minutes if we won it, but can you imagine the garbage we would then face for the rest of our lives about Southgate being the best manager ever and the players being knighted etc. I think I'd prefer to lose on penalties.

Yeah Club always, the England team mean nothing to me - sick of the national team being filled by top 6 PL wallers whether they are fit/in form/ morally reprehensible or not. I live in Wales now, and they don’t mean much to me either! 
Norwich City or Norwich City development side as a second team!

22 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I’ve found watching England deeply uninspiring for years now. 

Maybe we will grind ourselves to a tournament win by being hard to beat but I don’t know if I care.

Maybe I’m just misremembering with rose tinted glasses but I feel I remember the England teams of my youth being in general much more fun to watch.

Club over country regardless.

I don’t know how old you are, but you are almost certainly misremembering your youth. England have been through some dire periods in the past and the last few years have been some of the most successful and, at times, entertaining. There are also fewer real tawts in the squad. The problem we all have as fans is that we invest our time and energy into a club. In the 21st century that tends to mean not just supporting our team, but abusing and hating all the others. It is very hard with individual players to support them when the play for England, if a couple of weeks ago you were abusing them because they played for an opposing club.

It's a symptom of the attitudes of the clubs to it. There's so much money in club football that the clubs do not want their players spending time working on the national teams, so the national teams don't train together enough and, as a result, play relatively disappointing football.

As such, it's no wonder that people generally find the club game more exciting.

I tend to support the team and not individual players. So whilst there will be England players I don't like, there will be City players I don't like either, but I support both teams. Likewise there will be certain teams I cannot like no matter who plays for them such as Argentina and Ipswich.