Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Canary and Linnet

Shame to see this pub could close for good and be knocked down . I can remember the city coach calling in there on the way back from away matches . Had a great atmosphere at the time . Sign of the times I guess . Any memories any one ?

Edited by Yellowhammer

1 hour ago, Yellowhammer said:

Shame to see this pub could close for good and be knocked down . I can remember the city coach calling in there on the way back from away matches . Had a great atmosphere at the time . Sign of the times I guess . Any memories any one ?

Everyone’s drinking at the Berstrete Gates, £10 for a large round. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Everyone’s drinking at the Berstrete Gates, £10 for a large round. 

Went in there before a game earlier this season with a couple of mates having read an article in the Evening News saying it had had a refurb and the landlord stating he had got rid of its tarnished recent image.

No draught beers just cans and bottles and cheap spirit brands up on the optics. About six all day drinkers sitt6ing around on tatty furniture.

It is a dump.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Went in there before a game earlier this season with a couple of mates having read an article in the Evening News saying it had had a refurb and the landlord stating he had got rid of its tarnished recent image.

No draught beers just cans and bottles and cheap spirit brands up on the optics. About six all day drinkers sitt6ing around on tatty furniture.

It is a dump.

Last time I went in was years ago and it was just cans back then. The drunk barman couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I bought three and he gave me five. Cash only as the cars machine "wasn't working". Absolute state of a pub, but it got our party nicely ready for a night out for very little cash!

Can't believe it's still like that.

3 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

As a counter-culture out of towner I’ll always greatly miss the Pottergate Tavern!

Its a plush cocktail bar now called The Drawing Rooms.

I very occasionally call in the Canary & Linnet on a weekday lunchtime to meet a friend. Last went in about a year ago and it wasn't very inviting even though it had a makeover not so long ago. Usually there's nobody else in the bar but the restaurant now at the back usually has a few diners. Some lunchtimes the place has been closed.

Driving back from evening games it's often closed before 11pm. Back in the day I'm told by a mate of mine that it used to be quite popular with servicemen at the Marham base.

With most pubs struggling it looks inevitable that the site will end up as housing to add to the other new houses recently built along the main road.

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

It is a dump.

What about the pool table? It was reclothed in the 90s. 

Been going to away matches since 1969 and I've never stopped there once. Too early on the way out, too late on the way back usually.

1 hour ago, daly said:

Yes upmarket Wetherspoons 

Full of Del Boys yuppies at overpriced cocktails 

Not to sure what a Del Boy yuppy is.

Just now, BurwellCanary said:

Was this ever the Brown Derby?

Been a while since I have been up Pottergate

Yes it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not to sure what a Del Boy yuppy is.

Every day commodity for a yuppie  Tilly was a Filofax not a pair of handcuffs unless you were a kinky yuppie

A fashionable young middle-class person with a well-paid job.

32 minutes ago, daly said:

You mran

A fashionable young middle-class person with a well-paid job.

You mean everything that Del Boy, Rodney and their circle were not so as i said not sure what a Del Boy yuppy is.

24 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You mean everything that Del Boy, Rodney and their circle were not so as i said not sure what a Del Boy yuppy is.

🤣