Sign in to follow this  
The Raptor

Ivan Toney is a gambling fool

No wonder he's not in the England squad. 

Obviously the nature of the bets isn't known but 232 is an awful lot. If found guilty Brentford will be needing a permanent replacement in January. Perhaps we should all have a few quid on Teemu leaving? 

• Like 1

The article doesn't actually say what the betting offences are.

If he simply had an online account and was betting small amounts on other football matches, the ban shouldn't be that lengthy. Lafferty, Chopra, Trippier are names that all come to mind for similar offences.

However, if he was "spot-fixing" and it can be proven he was betting on himself / others for significant amounts of money, where he had knowledge of pre-anticipated scenarios (i.e. Yellow Cards, match fixing etc.), then yes, he will be exiled from football for a long time if the evidence is strong enough.

The problem is if the Bookies offer those stupid markets, (such as the exact minute of when a throw in will be awarded, a specific player to get booked, specific player to make a certain amount of tackles) eventually third parties are going to try and start defrauding them, especially in the lower leagues... 🤷‍♂️

What about when Paddy Power offered that "Player to eat a pie on the sideline" market years ago, and the Sutton United goalie actually did it? The player was subsequently banned, and i'm pretty sure Paddy Power refused to pay out any of those bets as winners.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41181979

Edited by TheRock

45 minutes ago, TheRock said:

The article doesn't actually say what the betting offences are.

If he simply had an online account and was betting small amounts on other football matches, the ban shouldn't be that lengthy. Lafferty, Chopra, Trippier are names that all come to mind for similar offences.

However, if he was "spot-fixing" and it can be proven he was betting on himself / others for significant amounts of money, where he had knowledge of pre-anticipated scenarios (i.e. Yellow Cards, match fixing etc.), then yes, he will be exiled from football for a long time if the evidence is strong enough.

The problem is if the Bookies offer those stupid markets, (such as the exact minute of when a throw in will be awarded, a specific player to get booked, specific player to make a certain amount of tackles) eventually third parties are going to try and start defrauding them, especially in the lower leagues... 🤷‍♂️

What about when Paddy Power offered that "Player to eat a pie on the sideline" market years ago, and the Sutton United goalie actually did it? The player was subsequently banned, and i'm pretty sure Paddy Power refused to pay out any of those bets as winners.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41181979

I've just Googled rule E8 and it does cover a multitude of different scenarios including supplying privileged information to others and betting on matches the player himself is involved in. The situation here is that Toney has breached the rule 232 times which kind of suggests it's not to do with information but in-match events happening or not happening?