Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

232!

7 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

He's probably pulling in between 60-100k a week. Does that not make gambling a little pointless?

It really is daft.

More like 40-50k but the point stands. Though I doubt players who are already rich bet out of need for money. The beginning of the period of the allegations is in 2017 when he was on loan from Newcastle at S****horpe and probably not on megabucks. I’m not sure S****horpe has a lot of attractions and diversions for a young man. 

26 minutes ago, aBee said:

More like 40-50k but the point stands. Though I doubt players who are already rich bet out of need for money. The beginning of the period of the allegations is in 2017 when he was on loan from Newcastle at S****horpe and probably not on megabucks. I’m not sure S****horpe has a lot of attractions and diversions for a young man. 

50K? Really? 🤔

That’s the alleged amount we’re paying Pukki in the Championship. You’re luckier than lucky if that’s what he’s getting that he isn’t long gone. 

Unfortunately for him it was poor timing when this came to light and it was the right decision for Southgate not to take him to the World Cup. Too much disruption.

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

He's probably pulling in between 60-100k a week. Does that not make gambling a little pointless?

It really is daft.

Elon musk is worth almost 200 billion and could retire anyday and never have to work another day in his life yet he would still rather make more money that he obviousy does not need.. You have to wonder if it's some kind of addiction with these kinds of mega rich people

42 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

50K? Really? 🤔

That’s the alleged amount we’re paying Pukki in the Championship. You’re luckier than lucky if that’s what he’s getting that he isn’t long gone. 

Toney hasn't signed a new deal since he joined Brentford in 2020 when they were a Championship club. A quick Google suggests he could be on anything between about £22,000 and £46,000, but Brentford are prepared to offer him a new deal worth around £100k.

Not sure what betting irregularities are. Obviously betting has become so widespread that you can bet on anything. So it is easy to kick the odd ball into touch in the seventeeth minute and scoop a bit of money. And tell your mates. But you will get found out.

Just don't do it in Vegas.

1 hour ago, aBee said:

No accounting for the stupidity of footballers, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

It really is daft.

I would really recommend watching Paul Merson talk about gambling addiction. It might start off as some fun, before they are even earning lots of money. Having financial security in your job can make you feel safer gambling more money... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Toney hasn't signed a new deal since he joined Brentford in 2020 when they were a Championship club. A quick Google suggests he could be on anything between about £22,000 and £46,000, but Brentford are prepared to offer him a new deal worth around £100k.

All depends upon bonuses etc. Much like transfer deals, sometimes the figures given differ because of how it is reported.

You can get win bonuses, scoring bonuses, promotion bonuses AND clauses. It's a hard one to guess really. 

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not sure what betting irregularities are. Obviously betting has become so widespread that you can bet on anything. So it is easy to kick the odd ball into touch in the seventeeth minute and scoop a bit of money. And tell your mates. But you will get found out.

Just don't do it in Vegas.

Well if he was betting on Brentford to lose or Toney not to score you might be a bit worried.

17 minutes ago, chicken said:

All depends upon bonuses etc. Much like transfer deals, sometimes the figures given differ because of how it is reported.

You can get win bonuses, scoring bonuses, promotion bonuses AND clauses. It's a hard one to guess really. 

Exactly, that's more-or-less the point I was trying to make. He could be on absolutely anything, but it will be relatively low (by Premier League or England international standards) given that the contract was signed when Brentford, in the Championship, signed him from Peterborough.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Unfortunately for him it was poor timing when this came to light and it was the right decision for Southgate not to take him to the World Cup. Too much disruption.

Rubbish! Take your best players, it`s the World Cup.

5 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Does this lead to a football ban?

It can. If betting on matches not involving the team he was at at the time the FA has in the past only given fines. At the other extreme of betting on things he had influence over at his own club (eg getting a card, missing a penalty, losing the game), anything up to a life ban. 

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I would really recommend watching Paul Merson talk about gambling addiction. It might start off as some fun, before they are even earning lots of money. Having financial security in your job can make you feel safer gambling more money... 

Quality documentary with him a while back. Certainly an eye opener. 

Thoroughly recommend too 

2 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

I reckon it’s why he wasn’t picked for Qatar

Yes I wondered that. Was surprised he wasn’t picked, I’d take him over Rashford. 

Rashford was picked as a wide player and last resort striker.  I'd have taken Wilson over Toney as well given the way England will be set up to play but I'm sure the FA would have given Southgate the nod that this was breaking ahead of naming the squad which certainly wouldn't have helped his chances.  I suspect that the timing - after the squad was announced - wasn't accidental.

It was however bizarre the Southgate picked him for the squad for two matches and then didn't at least give him a look.  I'd certainly put him ahead of DCL and Abraham who were the other options for that style of player.

Edited by Barham Blitz

On 16/11/2022 at 20:43, daisy said:

Rubbish! Take your best players, it`s the World Cup.

He is facing a 6 month ban from club football even if only one proven bet was in a game he played in.

There's a few similar cases in recent history to look at;

Daniel Sturridge, slightly different as it was leaking info on transfers, but was banned for 4 months and fined. Similarly Trippier was banned for 10 weeks.

Joey Barton who had committed over 1,000 offences was banned for 18 months.

Scott Kashket - banned for 2 months for 183 offences

Andros Townsend - 4 month ban (3 suspended as he sought professional help)

Jordan Stevens - 6 week ban for 59 bets

Several others got warnings and fines for lower numbers of offences; Dan Gosling, Cameron Jerome, Demichelis.

On the basis of the above, I'd assume a ban of somewhere between 1-3 months and a large fine

All this strikes me as hypocritical given that a high number of clubs are kept competitive only because of sponsorship by betting companies, and the EFL is also supported by one!

I bet (ooops) the agents of these players use a fair amount of the money they earn from players, plus inside knowledge from them, to boost their own inflated earnings. Can I suggest the football authorities could better use some of this energy on stopping players gambling, on controlling the impact agents have on the game to ensure that much of the cash earned by the game does not leak away at an ever greater rate via them. Keep money in the game, if we cannot get rid of agents, at least ensure they are paid only reasonable remuneration.