Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Can you imagine if an England player said this?

You really telling me there are people that are PROUD ofย  colonization and conquest? ๐Ÿ˜‚ Suppose the only good thing about this is he deleted it when the backlash started..

jyk365122xz91.png

"There are moments that last forever, and being on this call-up will be one of them. We will carry the history of our county with us.. We are from a land that explored, discovered, conquered and spread its culture to the 4 corners of the world."

I mean the stabby murdery parts of colonisation was pretty bad. Politically thoughย I donโ€™t think is much of a coincidence though that most of the 20 largest economies in the world are either European countries orย ex colonial nations. Itโ€™s just a shame we didnโ€™t do a better job of it and not kill large swathes of indigenous people.ย 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You really telling me there are people that are PROUD ofย  colonization and conquest? ๐Ÿ˜‚ Suppose the only good thing about this is he deleted it when the backlash started..

jyk365122xz91.png

"There are moments that last forever, and being on this call-up will be one of them. We will carry the history of our county with us.. We are from a land that explored, discovered, conquered and spread its culture to the 4 corners of the world."

And if they didn't like it, we burned them out.

Its a football tournament.

ย Diogo Dalot of Portugal? Portugal?

Well, Diogo, I think you'll find our shameful history is far greater than yours.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Well, Diogo, I think you'll find our shameful history is far greater than yours.

This is not a self flagellation contestย ๐Ÿ˜‚ Besides, what part of our histoy? The part in which we were enslaved by Romans or the part we got enslaved by Vikings? Hate to break the obvious but every country has a 'shameful past' that's not better or worse than others. Almost every society and cultue on Earth is built atop the bones and blood of slain innocents. Nobody is innocent or pure and there is no such thing as a perfect culture or society.. Well, maybe except the inuits but they do club baby seals to death so

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I mean the stabby murdery parts of colonisation was pretty bad. Politically thoughย I donโ€™t think is much of a coincidence though that most of the 20 largest economies in the world are either European countries orย ex colonial nations. Itโ€™s just a shame we didnโ€™t do a better job of it and not kill large swathes of indigenous people.ย 

Iโ€™m not sure there is any evidence for this. I could only find 13 countries that had never been colonised, and they include 2 ofย the 3 biggest economies in the world!

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

I'm not sure it is that much worse to be honest, Portugal was the largest trafficker of African slaves for example...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Iโ€™m not sure there is any evidence for this. I could only find 13 countries that had never been colonised, and they include 2 ofย the 3 biggest economies in the world!

Iโ€™m going to assume one of which isย China which was occupied by Japan in the Second World War but alsoย was partly colonised by the Britishย which is why they have the one country two systems with Hong Kong. Iโ€™m assuming the other is Russia?ย 
ย 

ex British Colonies like USA, Canada, Singapore, India, Pakistani,ย Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Kenya, a majority of the Caribbeanย are in general all in a much better place than ex colonies from other European countries. Both politically and economically. Do not want to take away at all though the harm we did to indigenous peoples.ย 

7 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

No the other is Japan itself. Parts of China were colonised by Britain, but nobody colonised all of it.ย 

Japan was under US governance after the Second World War which was essentially US colonial rule. So while not ever being colonised it was under the governance of another for a number of years.ย 

8 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Japan was under US governance after the Second World War which was essentially US colonial rule. So while not ever being colonised it was under the governance of another for a number of years.ย 

Given that the Japanese goverment had ruled over Korea with it's own Empire that had plans to dominate most of Asia (With its rule over Korea involved the banning of the Korean language with mass murders, "purges" and an iron fist dictorial rule) and was busy withย  Unit 731 I feel no real sad feelings towards what happened to the Japanese goverment. Do I feel sorry for the countless innocent Japanese civilians and people that just wanted to live in peace? Of course, but given that the Japanese Empire was just as awful as the Nazis qute frankly I shed no tears over Japan being bombed by and being ruled over by America in the years after WW2

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given that the Japanese goverment had ruled over Korea with it's own Empire that had plans to dominate most of Asia (With its rule over Korea involved the banning of the Korean language with mass murders, "purges" and an iron fist dictorial rule) and was busy withย  Unit 731 I feel no real sad feelings towards what happened to the Japanese goverment. Do I feel sorry for the countless innocent Japanese civilians and people that just wanted to live in peace? Of course, but given that the Japanese Empire was just as awful as the Nazis qute frankly I shed no tears over Japan being bombed by and being ruled over by America in the years after

All in all the Americans did a decent job and helped shape Japan into the manufacturing powerhouse it is today. The Japanese industry helped rebuild the west after the war.ย 

2 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

This a bit OT for a NCFC forum mind ๐Ÿ˜‚

Quite. Thatโ€™s why I stopped posting on this topic.

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given that the Japanese goverment had ruled over Korea with it's own Empire that had plans to dominate most of Asia (With its rule over Korea involved the banning of the Korean language with mass murders, "purges" and an iron fist dictorial rule) and was busy withย  Unit 731 I feel no real sad feelings towards what happened to the Japanese goverment. Do I feel sorry for the countless innocent Japanese civilians and people that just wanted to live in peace? Of course, but given that the Japanese Empire was just as awful as the Nazis qute frankly I shed no tears over Japan being bombed by and being ruled over by America in the years after

Do spare a thoughtย for Tsutomuย Yamaguchi who managed to survive both atomic bombs having been on a business trip in Hiroshima when the first bomb hit suffering injuries and returned to Nagasaki to heal where he was then injured again when the second bomb was dropped. Probably the luckiest unlucky man that has ever lived.ย 

• Like 1

Colonisation was a double-edged sword. "What did the Romans ever do for us?" did rather cleverly highlight some of the more positive elements of conolialism in terms of spreading civilisation. Let's face it, Africa's not doing the best of jobs of governing itself now the colonial powers have gone; most of their governments are just selling out their resources to Russia and China for bribes at the expense of their people.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Colonisation was a double-edged sword. "What did the Romans ever do for us?" did rather cleverly highlight some of the more positive elements of conolialism in terms of spreading civilisation. Let's face it, Africa's not doing the best of jobs of governing itself now the colonial powers have gone; most of their governments are just selling out their resources to Russia and China for bribes at the expense of their people.

And now China is going and ""colonising"" lots of Africa via unpayable debt traps and resource stealing as you said, yet oddly enough hardly anybody seems to care about it and I think we all know it's going to end very badly for Africa and the african people in the long run

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And now China is going and ""colonising"" lots of Africa via unpayable debt traps and resource stealing as you said, yet oddly enough hardly anybody seems to care about it and I think we all know it's going to end very badly for Africa and the african people in the long run

Bit hard for mostย European nations to gripe about stealing resources from Africa, to be fair.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Let's face it, Africa's not doing the best of jobs of governing itself now the colonial powers have gone; most of their governments are just selling out their resources to Russia and China for bribes at the expense of their people.

Trillions in aid over the past few decades and so much of it doesn't make any difference to the poor people who are suffering while those in charge line their pockets. Whole place is a corrupt cesspool.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

Can you imagine if an England player actually knew enough about history to say this kind of thing at all ... ?

Iโ€™m sure a lot of them do know as probably 2/3rd of the England squad now are from a lot of those places we went.ย 

8 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Iโ€™m sure a lot of them do know as probably 2/3rd of the England squad now are from a lot of those places we went.ย 

They are? Thre I was thinking that all of the players in the current england squad were born here in England. Well except Sterling as he's from Jamaica

19 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Actually, Portugal were the biggest slave traders in the world by volume (number of slaves).

We were second.

Then Spain, then France, then the Netherlands, and then Denmark.

Its why more than half of Brazilians are of African ancestry.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

They are? Thre I was thinking that all of the players in the current england squad were born here in England. Well except Sterling as he's from Jamaica

Sorry I meant to put descended from those placesย