Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

If you want a manager out of the left field...

Then David Martindale ticks that box. Could he be our next Alex Neil?

Brought up in a rough area of Glasgow, never played professionally, played semi-pro, did play as a kid in the Rangers academy but was released after breaking his leg whilst playing an unauthorised Sunday league game with his mates.

Went on to run pubs as an adult but had financial problems when a pub he owned burnt down, he didn't have insurance, so instead went into organised crime, mainly cocaine trafficking and money laundering. If we read between the lines this may have preceded the pub burning down of course.

Imprisoned in 2006 at the age of 32 where he served four years, assuming sentence was double that, also had a six figure sum confiscated from the proceeds of crime act. 

Did a degree inside, started volunteering at Livingstone on a part-time basis without pay in 2014. Even though it was unpaid Livingstone employing a major criminal went down badly with the local media. Did his UEFA B License in Ireland whilst volunteering, had to go to Ireland as they were less strict about criminal convictions when letting somebody on the course. 

Fast forward to November 2020 and he's the first team manager, his first managerial job at 46, replacing the sacked Gary Holt (yes, that one). Won his first four games in a row, held Celtic to two draws in his first season and got to the Scottish League Cup Final. 

Currently fourth in the SPL table and beat the team in third the other day and held Rangers to a draw Ibrox a few weeks ago.. 

944683636_spltable.PNG.db1119bbffc0a47e0b6c08092449871b.PNG

If anybody has the feeling that our players need a rocket up their ars*s in the half-time team talks, then this lunatic might be the one to do it...

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_2a860038-12a2-11ed-b5dc-213f5c972cc4.thumb.jpg.f0c4585a9b4db41a060387567a0ac4ca.jpg

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hang on.. Why does he look so familiar?🤔

1447692623-soaps-eastenders-phil-mitchel

See also:-

Stone Cold Steve Austin

Bill Goldberg

Bill Burr

Garry Mcallister

Wayne Rooney

John Travolta

Andre Agassi

Bryan Cranston

Bruce Willis

Etc etc etc......

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

See also:-

Stone Cold Steve Austin

Bill Goldberg

Bill Burr

Garry Mcallister

Wayne Rooney

John Travolta

Andre Agassi

Bryan Cranston

Bruce Willis

Etc etc etc......

Like how Paul Scholes, Chris Evans and Rupert Grint are all dead ringers for each other. 

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Mark Robins would be the perfect fit. Already knows the area, talks absolute sense but the only draw back is Coventry are a better side. 

Given  Coventy are 11th.. But end of the day I don't see him jumping ship to us regardless. He's got a good thing going at the sky blues

8 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Doubt some of our woke fans would accept him

...we've fans who took offence to a gambling firm's advert

Can you imagine Delia even letting him anywhere near carrow road?🤣

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Mark Robins would be the perfect fit. Already knows the area, talks absolute sense but the only draw back is Coventry are a better side. 

We can't afford the compo can we? 

As the FD said, we're skint. Robins signed a new deal in May 2022.

Also, they look more likely of getting in the top 6 than us at the minute.

Would be an interesting appointment. He at least has some life experience outside of the bubble that is footy. Looks like he might be quite passionate and excitable.....I like that.  I know nothing about him other than what I've read In this thread. At the moment, anyone who can galvanise this bunch into a working unit for 90+ mins would be an improvement.

• Like 1

I'd love someone like Martindale to get amongst our lot. Unfit ****

There will be no changes though; the cosy club is in full swing now. Nice little jolly coming up.

1 hour ago, RugbyCanary said:

Honestly, if robins hadn't played for us would anyone be looking at him?? Loads of managers out there. Let's look wider

After the start they've had to this season they probably would to be fair.

Don't forget they had like 4 games postponed at the start of the season.

Won 4 on the bounce with 2 games in hand on 9 of the 10 clubs above them in the league. 

3 points from those 2 games in hand and they are in the top 6, 4 points from those 2 games in hand and they are above us, 6 points and they are above Watford.

All that with an ageing Martyn Waghorn as your 2nd best striker.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

There will be no changes though; the cosy club is in full swing now. Nice little jolly coming up.

A few of them definitely need the Glaswegian hairdryer treatment.

I wonder whether Martindale feels he owes Livingston his loyalty though. There was a lot of fighting to get him through Scottish FA fit and proper checks, they tried to blacklist him from coaching badges and all sorts, his MP had to intervene and other managers fought his corner.

Would possibly have to go through all that again in England.

Personally I'm all for second chances in life. It was a serious conviction but still just the one, and clearly he's worked hard to turn his life around. 

Well if I was a player and that was screaming at me from the dug out I’d fill my pants and then do what he says, absolutely would not be taking a breather mid-game. Brilliant post TVB (with some great one-liners in there), and maybes ….. in football no happenings are strange any more. What a great movie it could make too – something which may appeal to our American hinvestors.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given  Coventy are 11th.. But end of the day I don't see him jumping ship to us regardless. He's got a good thing going at the sky blues

They may well be 11th but looking at it another way Coventry are 3 points behind us with 2 games in hand.

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Feel that a lot of todays pampered devas with fragile egos players could really not handle this guy to be honest.. Get the feeling a lot of top flight players would burst into tears if he so much as raised his voice at them 😂

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

5 hours ago, RugbyCanary said:

Honestly, if robins hadn't played for us would anyone be looking at him?? Loads of managers out there. Let's look wider

If (when) Dean Smith is sacked, i'm sure The Board will ensure that The Club "scour Europe" for a new manager. 😂

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We can't afford the compo can we? 

As the FD said, we're skint. Robins signed a new deal in May 2022.

Also, they look more likely of getting in the top 6 than us at the minute.

I think Robins would be an uninspiring appointment but compensation really shouldn't be an issue. A new head coach will be more valuable than any one player we could sign in January. I don't know if we have any money to spend but if we do that's what it should go on (if needed).

33 minutes ago, TheRock said:

If (when) Dean Smith is sacked, i'm sure The Board will ensure that The Club "scour Europe" for a new manager. 😂

It was Bowkett and McNally who 'scoured Europe'. The only point of reference for this board is the sacking of Farke. Webber cited 6 wins in 50 PL games. Farke's championship record wasn't enough to keep his job. This would all suggest Deano is on very thin ice.

39 minutes ago, TheRock said:

We’d probably pick someone who won’t get a visa now after Brexit 😂

3 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

We’d probably pick someone who won’t get a visa now after Brexit 😂

Now you've done it...

😂

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Now you've done it...

😂

I do wonder what would constitute enough qualifications to satisfy the new requirements. It was mentioned by Webber last summer we had problems recruiting players he wanted due to Brexit rules hence why we went South American. 

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I do wonder what would constitute enough qualifications to satisfy the new requirements. It was mentioned by Webber last summer we had problems recruiting players he wanted due to Brexit rules hence why we went South American. 

Did we consider this before the vote?

Did we understand any of it?

'Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conman' has been suggested...

19 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It was Bowkett and McNally who 'scoured Europe'. The only point of reference for this board is the sacking of Farke. Webber cited 6 wins in 50 PL games. Farke's championship record wasn't enough to keep his job. This would all suggest Deano is on very thin ice.

I'm sure if Dean gets the Tic Tac, Webber would leave no stone unturned , or 90% of them at least...!

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Did we consider this before the vote?

Did we understand any of it?

'Compassion for the conned, contempt for the conman' has been suggested...

All I can say is none of it is my fault 😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

All I can say is none of it is my fault 😂

12 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Or mine! 😉 

But I thought it was the fans fault. 😇. So if it wasn't you,by definition, you can't be fans. 

Pinkun logic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

But I thought it was the fans fault. 😇. So if it wasn't you,by definition, you can't be fans. 

Pinkun logic.

You aren’t a fan, your opinion doesn’t count

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

You aren’t a fan, your opinion doesn’t count

Good point, well made.  Defo not my fault then, must be yours. 

So eager to bite ,I didn't even have to bait the hook 😂😂😂😂

Edited by wcorkcanary