Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Minute silence yesterday

Sorry if being obtuse but what happened yesterday? The bugler (brilliant as ever) played throughout the “silence”. Was that meant to happen? 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

It wasn’t the whole period of silence but so guess sometimes that’s been at the end?

PA system was a bit “I’m going through a tunnel” as well which didn’t help

We had Te———ukki up front and Gran——nley at the back yesterday

11 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sorry if being obtuse but what happened yesterday? The bugler (brilliant as ever) played throughout the “silence”. Was that meant to happen? 

No it wasn't as the last post was meant to be played AFTER a minutes silence but the silence lasted just a few seconds before it was played.

The veterans were not impressed.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

No it wasn't as the last post was meant to be played AFTER a minutes silence but the silence lasted just a few seconds before it was played.

If the club fell in a barrel of t!ts right now they would come out sucking their thumb

p!ss up and brewery levels going on

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I thought that at the time too Tilly

Pretty poor although they have got it right in previous years

12 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I thought they did although I never pay much attention to it to be honest

I only know because we wanted to give howson a bit of a cheer and were not given the opportunity.

Again poor from the club considering he was quite a servant for us

I think the minute silence was done how it’s done these days, pretty sure the same as last year…by which I mean that it’s a period of silence during which the Last Post is played.  It’s the same as other games I’ve been to.  It is definitely a new angle to criticise the club with, though.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think the minute silence was done how it’s done these days, pretty sure the same as last year…by which I mean that it’s a period of silence during which the Last Post is played.  It’s the same as other games I’ve been to.  It is definitely a new angle to criticise the club with, though.

To be fair,  at Carrow Road you could probably just say that a random minute towards the end of the first half was the minute's silence and people would believe you.

TBF I've been to a number of sporting events over the past two weeks and the format seems now to have migrated to the briefest of silences followed by the Last Post making up the remainder of the "minutes" silence - a remembrance for the Tik Tok age. Now you could argue the Club should not bow to modern trends, but that only leaves you looking faintly out of touch. 

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I suggest you take that up with the veterans who take part at Carrow Road every year as they were not happy with proceedings on Saturday.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I suggest you take that up with the veterans who take part at Carrow Road every year as they were not happy with proceedings on Saturday.

No, I suggest they take it up with the club. I saw nothing different to what’s ‘normal’ both at NCFC and elsewhere these days.  Sorry, but that’s just they way it is.

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No, I suggest they take it up with the club. I saw nothing different to what’s ‘normal’ both at NCFC and elsewhere these days.  Sorry, but that’s just they way it is.

I think you will find that they have.

41 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Is that a ‘fact’ or did you read it in a media article?

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Is that a ‘fact’ or did you read it in a media article?

Hilarious. Would you like some names because if so i will PM you ?

I think it's much more poignant having a minute's silence, then The Last Post played afterwards.

But it was noticeable that the teams came out quite late. No idea why. Maybe that influenced things.

2 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

I think it's much more poignant having a minute's silence, then The Last Post played afterwards.

But it was noticeable that the teams came out quite late. No idea why. Maybe that influenced things.

I think everything was just crammed into such a short space of time, and they probably did too much.  We had the armed forces veterans come out on the side of the pitch, Attannasio introduced to the fans (this should probably have been done at half time), the 'minutes silence'.  The game then kicked off at 15.06.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

I think everything was just crammed into such a short space of time, and they probably did too much.  We had the armed forces veterans come out on the side of the pitch, Attannasio introduced to the fans (this should probably have been done at half time), the 'minutes silence'.  The game then kicked off at 15.06.

Agreed, the whole thing certainly felt rushed and wasn't given the proper alloted attention to detail like it has been in most recent  years. It seems like many others came to that same consensus too, based on @TIL 1010's accounts of folk being unhappy with it.

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

TBF I've been to a number of sporting events over the past two weeks and the format seems now to have migrated to the briefest of silences followed by the Last Post making up the remainder of the "minutes" silence - a remembrance for the Tik Tok age. Now you could argue the Club should not bow to modern trends, but that only leaves you looking faintly out of touch. 

If that’s the case fair enough but it would have been helpful if the club announcer had said there will be a brief silence rather than a minutes silence. 

People can call that petty if they like but Remembrance is important to many. Small detail maybe but important.

Officially, I believe the Last Post was only played where there was a cenotaph or monument to the dead. Originally it was only to signal inspections but has used since WWI as a symbol of respect to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

The two minute silence was not originally just a silence but a halt to all activity which would naturally include a silence.

Its not meant to be a pain in the aris and reluctantly observed but a tribute that should gratefully given

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheRock said:

Agreed, the whole thing certainly felt rushed and wasn't given the proper alloted attention to detail like it has been in most recent  years. It seems like many others came to that same consensus too, based on @TIL 1010's accounts of folk being unhappy with it.

Even my 17 y/o commented that the 2-minute period of respect hadn't been followed correctly. I also spotted some complaints from NCFC veterans on Twitter - hardly surprising. The whole thing appeared to be rushed...

You have to wonder who was in charge. Traditions were not adhered to. An absolute Galway Roast of an attempt to honour the fallen; perhaps that wasn’t a coincidence and the same person was in charge of this.🤷🏻‍♂️

Veteran who was pitchside here. The Act of Remembrance is Last Post followed by a period of silence. (Formal activities then have the bugler play Reveille). 

We were informed just prior to going pitchside that the LP and silence was what would happen. It clearly didn't. @TIL 1010 is correct, there were many very annoyed Veterans afterwards. To many, the actual silence is sacrosanct. And yes, the issue has been taken up with the club. 

• Like 5