Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So how does Smith compare to our past managers?

Considering Farke had a season in the premiership with arguably the worst squad we have gone into a top flight with he’s got a very good record.

• Like 3

And to think we use to think Peter grant was a rubbish manager without a clue. Better performance than Smith and he had the decency to put his hand up and walk away 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

Considering Farke had a season in the premiership with arguably the worst squad we have gone into a top flight with he’s got a very good record.

Well, fair to say Farke worked wonders. Built a team on what was pretty much a lower leauge one budget made up of free agents, youth playes and unknown lower foreign league players.

Of couse he was also a failure twice in the top flight, but you can't take away that quite frankly Fake did work some kind of voodoo magic that had us playing fantastic in the championship given what he had avaible and all. Did seem prior to his joining it seemed that we were slowly difting to be stuck in those cursed midtable championship wilderness years that many championship clubs seem to find themselves in or prehaps even worse given the issues we were facing off the pitch and all.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I don't think it's fair to include Premier League matches. Would be really interested to see a table just for Championship games. 

• Like 1

It's all relative. Martin O'Neil left after 26 games, guess everyone's s### stinks the same..

Never would've guessed Farke was only a small improvement on Alex Neil 

People will always want to see various 'cuts' of the stats until they see something they like. Smith's stats include a lot of EPL losses and will be skewed accordingly. He's probably around mid-table but bearing in mind the squad he has vs others in the Chump that's really poor.

30.2% win rate for Dean Smith. Excellent! Well done. Genius. All we need is to give the man some more time, it will come good. The players and the Supporters are all behind him 100%.  Nurse! More medication please!

32 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I don't think it's fair to include Premier League matches. Would be really interested to see a table just for Championship games. 

Well Farke last two seasons with pretty much this squad plus Buendia only lost six and seven games in his two championship winning seasons. Smith’s lost seven and we’re not even half way through.

Also CC, you can’t say Farke failed in his second season in the top flight he was gone in game 11, smith had 27 games and we looked no better. Smith technically has this relegation on his CV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrD66M said:

It's all relative. Martin O'Neil left after 26 games, guess everyone's s### stinks the same..

Never would've guessed Farke was only a small improvement on Alex Neil 

I think it’s because Neil did quite a bit better in the Prem than Farke.

Edited by Monty13

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

True. Would be good to see that PL table though as well, although would make some depressing reading.

This list reminded me why, despite how it all ended, I still loved the Lambert years the most.

Edited by Monty13

If I was to ever be elevated to the position of manager at the club I’d do things as John Dixie Deehan did, that’s the truth. I’ll get me coat. 

15 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

This doesn't really mean anything; it doesn't take any account of what league they were playing in; if you filtered it down to Championship win stats it would be a lot different.

Even if it was sorted by league it wouldn't mean a lot considering how much football has changed over time as well as expectation levels of particular seasons. 

You can absolutely take some things from it though. Smith isn't very good.

18 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Even if it was sorted by league it wouldn't mean a lot considering how much football has changed over time as well as expectation levels of particular seasons. 

You can absolutely take some things from it though. Smith isn't very good.

You can't  take that from it, because it's heavily skewed by what he inherited in the Premier League, where performance was completely in line with Daniel Farke last season, if not slightly better.

On the other hand, win rate this season is about 43%, which is not bad, albeit not where we want to be.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Nitpicking somewhat but a slight correction needed to that list. Smith has won 15 in 53 giving him a win percentage of 28.3% 

Edited by PeteRaven

8 minutes ago, PeteRaven said:

Nitpicking somewhat but a slight correction needed to that list. Smith has won 15 in 53 giving him a win percentage of 28.3% 

7 wins last season over last season and 9 wins this season makes 16 wins.

10 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

7 wins last season over last season and 9 wins this season makes 16 wins.

I only get 6 last season?

Wonder how our Assistant Sporting Director feels right now considering he fell on his sword in a pretty similar situation.