Sign in to follow this  
Indy

I might have mentioned it before! Robins!

How has he under difficulty from budgets to outside challenges got them turned around and out performing a Norwich squad with depth facilities at Smiths disposal…….get him in before someone else snaps him up!

14 minutes ago, Indy said:

How has he under difficulty from budgets to outside challenges got them turned around and out performing a Norwich squad with depth facilities at Smiths disposal…….get him in before someone else snaps him up!

I mean on the current form table he's out performing Burnley too, and a host of other clubs which much bigger budgets than Coventry. 

I wonder why he's never been seriously linked with bigger jobs as it appears he has consistently done well at Coventry.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hate to say the obvious but he's not leaving Coventy mid season

What like Nathan Jones you mean? Money talks. Offer him enough and he will come.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

What like Nathan Jones you mean? Money talks. Offer him enough and he will come.

Good thing we have lots of money and are in a good finacial position then

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Robins would jump at the chance to come here and prove himself at a bigger club. 

Much rather have him here than Russell Martin 

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean on the current form table he's out performing Burnley too, and a host of other clubs which much bigger budgets than Coventry. 

I wonder why he's never been seriously linked with bigger jobs as it appears he has consistently done well at Coventry.

A few people, myself included, advocated for him after Farke's dismissal. Now I'm not saying we were smarter than Webber....actually, I have a kettle smarter than Webber, so maybe that is what I'm saying.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good thing we have lots of money and are in a good finacial position then- oh

We have a US investor in the wings, the position of Head Coach is a dispensable resource.  I'm pretty sure Robins will be on less than Smith and sidekick Shakespeare.

Robins would definitely come here, but he wouldn't be top of my list. He's a good coach, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't strike me as someone who has enough about him take us up and keep us there. I think he's probably reached his ceiling by doing well at a club like Coventry, in all honesty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Robins would definitely come here, but he wouldn't be top of my list. He's a good coach, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't strike me as someone who has enough about him take us up and keep us there. I think he's probably reached his ceiling by doing well at a club like Coventry, in all honesty.

Possibly but until given the chance it’s only opinion. After last season I doubt Smith has any ability to structure and set up any City team to stay up, that said I don’t think he’s good enough to get this very strong squad promoted in the first place, we’ll end up 8th or 9th.

39 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

A few people, myself included, advocated for him after Farke's dismissal. Now I'm not saying we were smarter than Webber....actually, I have a kettle smarter than Webber, so maybe that is what I'm saying.

That's fair, I'm just surprised a club bigger than Coventry haven't already come in for him. On paper he's earnt the opportunity ahead of the likes of Michael Carrick walking into Boro.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Possibly but until given the chance it’s only opinion. After last season I doubt Smith has any ability to structure and set up any City team to stay up, that said I don’t think he’s good enough to get this very strong squad promoted in the first place, we’ll end up 8th or 9th.

Yeah, I see it. As a matter of fact, Robins strikes me as a bit of a clone of Smith: similar age, similar styles of play (neat and tidy but no distinct style), nice blokes but a bit bland, and ultimately solid Championship coaches but not enough 'wow factor' to make me think they'll get us firing on all cylinders in terms of both results and performances.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good thing we have lots of money and are in a good finacial position then

We **** tens of millions away on sub standard players I am sure we could find enough to replace a manager who will cost us lots more if he stays much longer.

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

That's fair, I'm just surprised a club bigger than Coventry haven't already come in for him. On paper he's earnt the opportunity ahead of the likes of Michael Carrick walking into Boro.

Exactly why not us?

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Exactly why not us?

I wouldn't say no to Robins. But it just surprises me no-one else has taken a stab at him yet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, I see it. As a matter of fact, Robins strikes me as a bit of a clone of Smith: similar age, similar styles of play (neat and tidy but no distinct style), nice blokes but a bit bland, and ultimately solid Championship coaches but not enough 'wow factor' to make me think they'll get us firing on all cylinders in terms of both results and performances.

Really? Robins got a pig of a club promoted from league 1 Smith failed with Walsall. Took Coventry to an EFL trophy win and promotion to the Championship and now building on that with a run which see Coventry with a better record per game than Norwich! Not being pedantic but given the chance I would rather Robins than Smith. Just my opinion, Robins would get more out of this Squad than Smith appears to be. Just my opinion and appreciate other will see things differently. 💚💛

Smith has achieved extraordinary things here. He has turned a squad poor in the EPL into a squad poor in the Championship. He must not be allowed to continue his remarkable progress and turn it into a squad poor in Lge 1.

20 minutes ago, Indy said:

Really? Robins got a pig of a club promoted from league 1 Smith failed with Walsall. Took Coventry to an EFL trophy win and promotion to the Championship and now building on that with a run which see Coventry with a better record per game than Norwich! Not being pedantic but given the chance I would rather Robins than Smith. Just my opinion, Robins would get more out of this Squad than Smith appears to be. Just my opinion and appreciate other will see things differently. 💚💛

He probably would get more out of the squad than Smith, mainly due to Smith's current underperformance. But Walsall are a smaller club than Coventry, and Smith did solid jobs at both Brentford and Villa, so I'm not convinced that Robins has a better track record than Smith despite coaching for a similar length of time. And as Hogesar said, why has no bigger club come in for him? Other clubs must not be fully convinced that he can coach at a higher level than he is now.

I just think Smith for Robins would be a bit of a sideways step, and feel there are better options out there.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He probably would get more out of the squad than Smith, mainly due to Smith's current underperformance. But Walsall are a smaller club than Coventry, and Smith did solid jobs at both Brentford and Villa, so I'm not convinced that Robins has a better track record than Smith despite coaching for a similar length of time. And as Hogesar said, why has no bigger club come in for him? Other clubs must not be fully convinced that he can coach at a higher level than he is now.

I just think Smith for Robins would be a bit of a sideways step, and feel there are better options out there.

Fair enough, but who d you think are these better options given our financial restrictions? I fully appreciate your view, as I always my posts are only my opinion and that’s really not worth much 😂👍 

Edited by Indy

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Former Norwich City player Gary O’Neil is impressing in temporary charge at Bournemouth…

Indeed he is and I think he might get that gig full time!

32 minutes ago, Indy said:

Fair enough, but who d you think are these better options given our financial restrictions? I fully appreciate your view, as I always my posts are only my opinion and that’s really not worth much 😂👍 

Martin would be my choice. He's doing a decent job at Swansea and I just think he has a higher ceiling in the game than Robins. 

Scott Parker is also available and would surely be tempted, because I can't see his next job being in Premier League.

To be honest, I haven't given it a huge amount of thought beyond those two. 

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Martin would be my choice. He's doing a decent job at Swansea and I just think he has a higher ceiling in the game than Robins. 

Scott Parker is also available and would surely be tempted, because I can't see his next job being in Premier League.

To be honest, I haven't given it a huge amount of thought beyond those two. 

I do agree Russell is doing a fine job, not too sure Parker would be worth the risk. Good player got two promotions in his cv but not sure, wouldn’t be disappointed in either to be honest both better than the current set up. Still prefer Robins and probably cheaper?

1 hour ago, Tumbleweed said:

Smith has achieved extraordinary things here. He has turned a squad poor in the EPL into a squad poor in the Championship. He must not be allowed to continue his remarkable progress and turn it into a squad poor in Lge 1.

He’s Roeder mark 2 isn’t he. 

8 hours ago, Indy said:

Indeed he is and I think he might get that gig full time!

I am agnostic on whether Smith should be sacked. I leave that to posters who actually understand football.🤓 And O'Neil has very little experience. But one story has the incoming owner at Bournemouth wanting Bielsa. Which is just the kind of thing incoming owners tend to want.

So playing devils advocate here, how do you actually know anybody would do a better job than Smith?

And no I am not a fan of his at all.

The players are as much to blame as Smith in that they don’t seem to want to control games anymore, they just are happy to do the bare minimum, where is the passion for the shirt? There are no real leaders anymore 

20 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So playing devils advocate here, how do you actually know anybody would do a better job than Smith?

And no I am not a fan of his at all.

The players are as much to blame as Smith in that they don’t seem to want to control games anymore, they just are happy to do the bare minimum, where is the passion for the shirt? There are no real leaders anymore 

I'd see the present situation as similar to when Adams was replaced by Alex Neil mid season

An under performing squad being badly coached/motivated only capable of beating the worst teams in the league.

If someone came in and grabbed this squad by the scruff of the neck just as Neil did we'd see a vast improvement.

When Neil came in , we'd given ourselves just too much to do to get top 2 as Watford and Bournemouth were too far clear and despite a good chase, we couldnt quite catch them

Because of the nature of the league this season, top 2 isnt beyond reach - but we must act NOW. Smith and his staff must not be allowed on that plane to Florida and be given a minute more with this squad.

Keep him and we can say goodbye to top 6