Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Fitness is part of the issue

I firmly believe the team are not as fit under DS as we were under DF and I feel this is part of our problems at the moment. When DF first arrived, there were a number of training ground injuries, and the general consensus was that it was due to trying to get players fitter and stronger. It looks like we fade in games and I'm not convinced DS is as strict on this.

That and our inability to control games when ahead and on top.

Frustrating as hell

😡

• Like 4

I mean have we had a single season for about the last five years in which we have not had some kind of serious injury and fitness crisis? Sure feels like we have not. Guess that's part of the issue when you go for the risky cheaper players who are injury prone and rusty I guess..

Might be some truth in this. Doesn’t explain our bad performances completely, but a contributing factor.

I get the impression Farke worked his players harder on fitness than other teams, based on past comments of players. 

16 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Might be some truth in this. Doesn’t explain our bad performances completely, but a contributing factor.

I get the impression Farke worked his players harder on fitness than other teams, based on past comments of players. 

Spot on, doesn't explain our poor performances but, I wonder if everything is too lacksadaisical at Colney. However, fitness is lacking (imo) compared to the last regime and it is a significant issue.

I am generally someone who doesn't do knee jerk changes but there must be some serious consideration going on to change the current coaching team 

• Like 1

I don't think the players look unfit per se, they just aren't coached in possession which leads to things looking sloppy.

This is definitely true. We never seem to score late anymore. Under DF with 85 minutes in the clock, you genuinely believed we'd get one, maybe two goals before the final whistle. I literally didn't give us a prayer of scoring late today, just never believed we would for a single second. All the best teams get late goals - it's a good indication that we are not one of the best teams. I am turning on Smith for the first time, I have to say.

Think there's something in this. Possibly not enough intervals / HIIT work. Alternatively - and the bit that often gets neglected - the recovery work might not be good enough. That can readily result in overwork/the body not recovering quickly enough so the ability to go hard for longer periods is compromised.

(Incidentally, I'd think Tabata work would be superb stamina work for professional footballers).

Edited by TheGunnShow

3 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I am turning on Smith for the first time, I have to say

So am I, which is a pity as I honestly thought he would be a good fit for us.

We have won twice in ten games, this is not promotion form, we have a serious problem and I can't see these two getting us out of it.

2 minutes ago, East Rider said:

So am I, which is a pity as I honestly thought he would be a good fit for us.

We have won twice in ten games, this is not promotion form, we have a serious problem and I can't see these two getting us out of it.

Yep. It's pretty dire isn't it? I believe we are more likely to drift into midtable rather than pick up and challenge at the top. I can't decide for sure whether he should go, but I definitely wouldn't be angry at the club if he went tonight - I was furious when Farke went.

There is nothing wrong with the fitness of our players. It is the utter clown and his sidekick Fatboy who just don't seem to have an utter clue. I am furious, defeat wrestled from the jaws of victory.

I’ve been saying it all season - our fitness levels are way off where they need to be. 

• Like 1

Under Lambert we seemed to come to life at the 75th minute when other teams tired

Farke has an almost Spartan training regime (which I believe was the root of our constant injury problem) but the players were again insanely fit

Watching Sara puffing at 60 minutes and the team just dropping off shows they are clearly lacking fitness.

To be fair actually Kenny gets a lot of heat but at least he has 90 mins in his tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

There is nothing wrong with the fitness of our players. It is the utter clown and his sidekick Fatboy who just don't seem to have an utter clue. I am furious, defeat wrestled from the jaws of victory.

From my persepective yesterday, I saw a group of players start off really well and just drop off. The manager didn't make any changes in that time, but the football deteriorated noticeably. Ultimately that's down to the players on the pitch; I don't see how deflecting blame that should be on them collectively towards the manager will encourage the squad to up their levels under any manager.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

53 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

From my persepective yesterday, I saw a group of players start off really well and just drop off. The manager didn't make any changes in that time, but the football deteriorated noticeably. Ultimately that's down to the players on the pitch; I don't see how deflecting blame that should be on them collectively towards the manager will encourage the squad to up their levels under any manager.

From my perspective I saw us start pretty well too, playing exactly how we should have done with the midfield diamond.

For some reason the team stepped back 10 yards and tried to play on the counter in a line-up and formation that wasn't set up for that.

2nd half possession wise was all Boro yet we still managed to carve a couple of chances after Onel came on. It was a shambles though with apparent random substitutions and finishing with a frontline of Hugill and Hanley whilst Pukki, Ramsey and Sargent had been subbed off!

Yes the players should take some blame but crikey that was some 'masterclass' from Smith.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

From my perspective I saw us start pretty well too, playing exactly how we should have done with the midfield diamond.

For some reason the team stepped back 10 yards and tried to play on the counter in a line-up and formation that wasn't set up for that.

2nd half possession wise was all Boro yet we still managed to carve a couple of chances after Onel came on. It was a shambles though with apparent random substitutions and finishing with a frontline of Hugill and Hanley whilst Pukki, Ramsey and Sargent had been subbed off!

Yes the players should take some blame but crikey that was some 'masterclass' from Smith.

Sargent had an issue. Not sure what happened with Pukki, but he must have had an issue because I don't believe that was a decision borne of tactical choice.

It’s always been about one thing

STANDARDS

ive said this multiple times and all I got was hassle for it

our standards are too low, across everything at the club. We don’t demand success in anything. From the mens senior team to the guy who serves you a hotdog to the stadium lights (which are crap btw) 

You employ people with high standards and you’ll get a high standard back

Until that happens, you get what we have.

15 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

This is definitely true. We never seem to score late anymore. Under DF with 85 minutes in the clock, you genuinely believed we'd get one, maybe two goals before the final whistle. I literally didn't give us a prayer of scoring late today, just never believed we would for a single second. All the best teams get late goals - it's a good indication that we are not one of the best teams. I am turning on Smith for the first time, I have to say.

I agree, with the slight caveat we have created big chances at the end of games recently but not taken them.

Yesterday was Max and Onel, previous was Hanley and Onel. 

• Like 2

I don’t think it’s fitness personally it’s what they use energy for.

Farkes team had the ball more and barely pressed. Loads left in the tank.

Under Smith we concede possession regularly and almost constantly press. No wonder they are f*cked and have no energy.

Having 5 substitutes 'should' be helping us here

We supposedly have one of the stronger squads in this league so can bring on subs of a better quality when others tire.

Smith has somehow managed to turn this into a disadvantage with his muddled team selections and substitutions

If we had fewer subs he might actually play his strongest team