Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Middlesbro (h/L) ****

Started really well, created good chances then the inevitable drop in levels that's going on for far too long.

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Personally I'm not going to start calling for his head straight after an absolute dross game like that, too much emotion.

However if we are serious that the club believe's we are an Automatic promotion team...it can't be dismissed as an option. You're right you'll never get a better chance for a new manager to make an impact.

It's not really just a dross game though is it? It's a year of dross. We've regressed so significantly over the last year. 

Of course we're top 6 going into the break so there's no chance smith will go. That's probably a good enough reason to not bother though.

Just now, alex_ncfc said:

Just seen that Robins has got 22 points out of the last 27 at Coventry...

Bloody hell, just seen they are only 3 points behind us

Plenty of us were advocating for him after Farke. Shame we had a complete moron making the decision instead. Not too late to right a wrong Webber, so long as it doesn't get in the way of your ****ing hobby you ****.

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

It's not really just a dross game though is it? It's a year of dross. We've regressed so significantly over the last year. 

Of course we're top 6 going into the break so there's no chance smith will go. That's probably a good enough reason to not bother though.

No point in getting playoffs though, Coco the Clown can't beat teams near the top of the table so we'd get a hiding anyway. 

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

We’re now only just hanging on to a play off place and are on a downward trajectory. Perfect time to sack him and quite deserved in my opinion 

18 minutes ago, chicken said:

I can't think of a decent 90mins performance for any team, us or anyone we've played... By decent I mean consistent. There have been games we have deserved to win by some distanced but have toyed dangerously with it far more than we should have done. 

No team can realistically expect to dominate for a full 90 minutes in fairness, but a squad like ours as one of the favourites for the title should be eliciting control for the majority of the match but we’re just not seeing that.

A good 90 minute performance doesn’t mean 90 minutes of attacking pressure, but really just a strong level of cohesion, effectiveness etc when we do get the opportunity to go forwards, and a robustness at the back when we don’t have the ball. That hasn’t been the case at any point this season (except Millwall at home which was pretty well controlled). We have seen these kinds of performances at this level plenty under Farke, and before that under Neil and Lambert. An obvious gap in quality with our opposition which we maintain throughout the game in a professional manner. 

What we have seen consistently is 20 minutes of free flowing, confident and aesthetically pleasing football, either at the start of the game or some point during. With the other 70 minutes comprised of huffing and puffing without progress, constipated possession, a rigid looking attack and plenty of individual errors at the other end. I have never known a side to be so incredibly inconsistent within the space of a 90 minute or even a 45 minute spell of football.

Even just playing well for 60 minutes would be a huge huge improvement from where we are now. We can’t expect to challenge for the autos with about one quarter of strong functionality every single game.

Middlesbrough were pretty consistent for 70 minutes once our good patch was over, as were QPR and Stoke. So I don’t think it’s much to ask to expect us to be able to match the levels we are capable of across 20 minute spells for longer than we are managing.

Pretty much half way through the season now and there’s not evidence that we are progressing under Smith. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

A perfect opportunity has presented itself to get a new man in with plenty of time to get up and running. We should grab it with both hands 

difficult to disagree with this

• Like 3

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Plenty of us were advocating for him after Farke. Shame we had a complete moron making the decision instead. Not too late to right a wrong Webber, so long as it doesn't get in the way of your ****ing hobby you ****.

We need to hurry up or we will be no more appealing than Coventry. They may have no ground and could go out if business any day but at least they appear to have a team who can play football, string some wins together and possibly get a play off place.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Get off that fence.

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

A good 90 minute performance doesn’t mean 90 minutes of attacking pressure, but really just a strong level of cohesion, effectiveness etc when we do get the opportunity to go forwards, and a robustness at the back when we don’t have the ball.

exactly. we just don't seem to have the ability to control games. Ironically I thought we did that pretty well in the second quarter of the game, when Boro had plenty of ball but weren't hurting us at all. But the second half was dire from that point of view.

I'm far from an expert, but this looks like a poorly-coached team to me.

8 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Two wins in the last 10 matches and now only one point separates us from falling out of the play off places, The only trajectory we’re following is downward so any calls for his sacking are not based just on today. A perfect opportunity has presented itself to get a new man in with plenty of time to get up and running. We should grab it with both hands 

...or woman. Sarina Wiegman?  She's got the Lionesses playing some good football 

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Biggest issue for me is I just dont think there are any good enough managers avaible. I do feel a lot of the players clearly just don't care anymore and would rather be anywhere else.  Serious mentality issues that I don't think a new manager could fix to be honest

You've said this plenty of times and plenty of times people have replied with several superior alternatives.  Do you just ignore the replies?

• Like 1

No team can realistically expect to dominate for a full 90 minutes in fairness, but a squad like ours as one of the favourites for the title should be eliciting control for the majority of the match but we’re just not seeing that.

A good 90 minute performance doesn’t mean 90 minutes of attacking pressure, but really just a strong level of cohesion, effectiveness etc when we do get the opportunity to go forwards, and a robustness at the back when we don’t have the ball. That hasn’t been the case at any point this season (except Millwall at home which was pretty well controlled). We have seen these kinds of performances at this level plenty under Farke, and before that under Neil and Lambert. An obvious gap in quality with our opposition which we maintain throughout the game in a professional manner. 

What we have seen consistently is 20 minutes of free flowing, confident and aesthetically pleasing football, either at the start of the game or some point during. With the other 70 minutes comprised of huffing and puffing without progress, constipated possession, a rigid looking attack and plenty of individual errors at the other end. I have never known a side to be so incredibly inconsistent within the space of a 90 minute or even a 45 minute spell of football.

Even just playing well for 60 minutes would be a huge huge improvement from where we are now. We can’t expect to challenge for the autos with about one quarter of strong functionality every single game.

Middlesbrough were pretty consistent for 70 minutes once our good patch was over, as were QPR and Stoke. So I don’t think it’s much to ask to expect us to be able to match the levels we are capable of across 20 minute spells for longer than we are managing.

Pretty much half way through the season now and there’s not evidence that we are progressing under Smith. 

We have non existent CB's. A lightweight midfield and we can't sort out who should play up front. Angus and Max along with Sarge are the only automatics right now. But with Deano, its tactics this, formation that, rather than sending them out to play attacking football.

I agree with that.

I don't think Middlesbrough were fantastic though, despite having more of the ball, I feel they fashioned fewer good chances. That's part of what I mean by consistency.

Equally, we have dominated games and not taken chances. Again, inconsistent.

Very few teams have genuinely looked like they should walk out clear winners on us, if any. Equally, there haven't been many games where we have played 90mins and looked like the winners throughout. That's what I mean about consistency.

1 minute ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Get off that fence.

I'll get off it, remove a plank and use it to **** Webber in the head.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Robins 

Martin

Knutson

Hasenhutti

Bielsa

Do your job Webber 

Another example of delusion from our fans! 

Bielsa? Knutson? Hassenhutl?

We've got more chance of England winning the World Cup than getting any of those three 🤣🤣🤣

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Two wins in the last 10 matches and now only one point separates us from falling out of the play off places, The only trajectory we’re following is downward so any calls for his sacking are not based just on today. A perfect opportunity has presented itself to get a new man in with plenty of time to get up and running. We should grab it with both hands 

Don't disagree. I just know I'm too angry right now to be objective, but my gut feeling right now is this needs someone to ruthlessly make the best of the opportunity on offer. No ones happy and this team doesn't look close to what was promised. 4 points from 15 in last 5 home games is abysmal.

• Like 1

It’s not all bad news.

At least Hayden is now playing regularly….staying ‘injury free’ …and shoring up our porous defence.

• Haha 2

With one of the best squads, and perhaps even the best squad, in this league, we end up chasing a game with Hugill and Hanley upfront. Just think about that for a moment, and then say that we shouldn't sack Dean Smith immediately.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

You've said this plenty of times and plenty of times people have replied with several superior alternatives.  Do you just ignore the replies?

Of course they do.... Because how else can they mock everyone who wants Shït&Shïtter out if they take on board who is out there who's better. 

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

exactly. we just don't seem to have the ability to control games. Ironically I thought we did that pretty well in the second quarter of the game, when Boro had plenty of ball but weren't hurting us at all. But the second half was dire from that point of view.

I'm far from an expert, but this looks like a poorly-coached team to me.

Yup - the two main sides of the game. When we have the ball and when they have the ball.

I'm not sure it is so much about coaching but that previously, we were bringing in players that were predominantly good at the former, when we have the ball.

That's what I mean about this squad never being convincing defensively, not just in our defensive players but as a team. We put a lot of emphasis on keeping the ball. But as we have seen over several seasons, good teams only need 30% of the ball to do something with it. You can "manage" teams when you don't have the ball. We haven't been good at that for years, IMHO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

I agree with that.

I don't think Middlesbrough were fantastic though, despite having more of the ball, I feel they fashioned fewer good chances. That's part of what I mean by consistency.

Equally, we have dominated games and not taken chances. Again, inconsistent.

Very few teams have genuinely looked like they should walk out clear winners on us, if any. Equally, there haven't been many games where we have played 90mins and looked like the winners throughout. That's what I mean about consistency.

Boro stuck to their game plan which was keeping possession. No they didn't really create chances but never looked like conceding a second goal because they could see we weren't threatening them.

The biggest problem is our boards never take risks, and always want to give managers time.

We look bang average under Smith, but I doubt our board has the b*lls to make a big decision, but we look a millions miles off an automatic promotion team, can't beat anyone at top, and can't dominate games for more than about 20mins. And 2 wins in 10

A lot to be worried about if our board was serious about promotion at first attempt   

8 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

We've got more chance of England winning the World Cup than getting any of those three 🤣🤣🤣

We were linked with Hasenhutti when we appointment Smith as it was said then that Webber was a big admirer. He was sacked recently, ring any bells….

Knutson manages a team in the Norwegian league and he’s currently 18 points off top spot. Who knows if he could be tempted to take on a job to get us into the PL but he obviously hasn’t had any actual PL offers.

It seems it’s you that suffers with little Norwich mentality….

https://www.givemesport.com/1782876-southampton-news-saints-stance-on-ralph-hasenhuttl-links-with-norwich-aston-villa

Edited by Virtual reality
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

You won't know until you ask. Bielsa stared in the EFL with Leeds.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 2