TeemuVanBasten

Ian Henderson all time highest goalscorer..

Ian Henderson's goal the other night against Salford (his former club, he rejoined Rochdale after being released) put him at the top of the Rochdale all-time highest goalscorers list, not bad going at all considering they've been going for 115 years.

Personally feel that he's a player who should have ended up playing more football at a higher level when he was at his best for them, apparently Sheffield United wanted him when they got out of League One and look what they went on to achieve, by 'higher level' I mean Championship of course not Prem

Fair play though its a great achievement to become a local legend somewhere, even if Rochdale only get a few thousand a week at home games. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

What a great turnaround after he left us and was castigated for attitude issues.  Great achievement and I completely agree he should’ve been a championship stalwart really.  Remember him against millwall at FCR I think he got two that day or certainly one and an assist for hucks

1 minute ago, CardiffCanary said:

Great achievement and I completely agree he should’ve been a championship stalwart really. 

Yeah, think he was playing below his level in League One for a lot of years (not now at 37 of course).

There tends to always be players who spend their entire careers in League One and Two who you'd have expected to gone up a level, Karl Duguid was one back in the day for Colchester.

But still... to outlast the Jarvis brothers and Danny Crow by a good 7 or 8 years in Professional football despite being a few years older, and to be on 710 professional appearances and in the record books... not a bad career is it. 

5 minutes ago, CardiffCanary said:

Who was his youth team strike partner who never quite made it ? 

Not sure mate.

There was Paul Hayes who was in the age group above so 1 year older, never played a game for us but scored a brace against Arsenal in a pre-season friendly, but he had a decent lower league career himself, as well and a few years in the Championship.

Actually, just looked at the team when he was in the U15s and could it be Robbie Simpson? Looks like he did alright: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Simpson

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Yeah, but did you see how Henderson scored the crucial goal?

Great Story 👍🙂

50 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not sure mate.

There was Paul Hayes who was in the age group above so 1 year older, never played a game for us but scored a brace against Arsenal in a pre-season friendly, but he had a decent lower league career himself, as well and a few years in the Championship.

Actually, just looked at the team when he was in the U15s and could it be Robbie Simpson? Looks like he did alright: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Simpson

I think it was Hayes- he was a regular scorer for the youth teams next to Hendo but never got the chance here.

8 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Ryan Jarvis? Not sure about age groups but they played together at Northampton away… 🤦🏻‍♂️ Night to remember, that one. 

One of a number of truly forgettable League Cup exits against lower league opposition-see also Barnet and Brentford 😱

10 hours ago, king canary said:

I think it was Hayes- he was a regular scorer for the youth teams next to Hendo but never got the chance here.

Yes that was who I couldn’t remember … Hayes 

Coming from a not very nice estate in Thetford, Hendo has had a great career but as others have said, maybe it could have been at a higher level.

I think you have to look at the personal tragedy of when he lost his brother Tommy in that dreadful car crash to realise that maybe he sees things in a different context to the rest of us. It effected him more than words can tell). I remember the emotion in his first game back for City in a friendly at Felixstowe. Naturally, he scored two (and should have had three). Maybe with a bit more understanding he could have built a career here, but I think he needed to get away from the memories.

The move to Rochdale came about as his partner had a very good job in PR or media at Manchester United (I can't remember which).

He's a good lad, is Hendo. He has overcome tragedy) and made his mark.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yeah, think he was playing below his level in League One for a lot of years (not now at 37 of course).

There tends to always be players who spend their entire careers in League One and Two who you'd have expected to gone up a level, Karl Duguid was one back in the day for Colchester.

But still... to outlast the Jarvis brothers and Danny Crow by a good 7 or 8 years in Professional football despite being a few years older, and to be on 710 professional appearances and in the record books... not a bad career is it. 

Having had a look about, he's not that much older than the others you note, obviously Rossi Jarvis, but certainly not Ryan or Danny Crow. He's about a year older than them.

What speaks loudly though is from what I can see, both of those hit non-league around 2015.

I remember the furore from some on here when the club dared to allow Crow to leave for nothing in 2005. He looks to have done well at Peterborough but downhill after that.

Ryan Jarvis left in 2008 and I always said that I felt we failed him in the sense that he was kept as a squad member during important early stages of his career when he should have been loaned out to get that important first team experience and learning from playing games. I do wonder what some of these former youngsters may have been able to achieve with the clubs latest approach to developing them, loaning them out and preparing them for the first team.

Always great to see ex canaries doing well. Henderson has had a great career I always felt he had the right attitude.

Ryan Jarvis had a great technique but just wasn’t a good enough athlete in my opinion.

55 minutes ago, chicken said:

Having had a look about, he's not that much older than the others you note, obviously Rossi Jarvis, but certainly not Ryan or Danny Crow. He's about a year older than them.

What speaks loudly though is from what I can see, both of those hit non-league around 2015.

I remember the furore from some on here when the club dared to allow Crow to leave for nothing in 2005. He looks to have done well at Peterborough but downhill after that.

Ryan Jarvis left in 2008 and I always said that I felt we failed him in the sense that he was kept as a squad member during important early stages of his career when he should have been loaned out to get that important first team experience and learning from playing games. I do wonder what some of these former youngsters may have been able to achieve with the clubs latest approach to developing them, loaning them out and preparing them for the first team.

While his attitude towards them absolutely stunk, one thing Roeder did do right was getting Martin and Spillane out on loan to play regular football. I still think this is what Idah needs too- he needs to experience starting week in week out.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

While his attitude towards them absolutely stunk, one thing Roeder did do right was getting Martin and Spillane out on loan to play regular football. I still think this is what Idah needs too- he needs to experience starting week in week out.

I just can't agree that he got that right, I don't believe he sent them on loan to get regular football. They were very unceremoniously essentially banished, I'm not sure there was much thought about where to send them at all. And then publicly he slammed them and called them "tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum".

I don't disagree about Idah, and it could be more about giving him that season of being able to play regularly in his preferred position too. An on form Idah playing up top with Sargent... it could be they loan him out for the rest of the season just to do that. Has to be the right loan though.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I remember being at some sort of Q&A type thing at the club and Mrs Jarvis (Mum) also had an opinion on the treatment of her boys. Can’t remember exactly when or who but it definitely happened…honest… 🙂

18 hours ago, CardiffCanary said:

Who was his youth team strike partner who never quite made it ? 

Danny Crow or something?

6 hours ago, chicken said:

Honestly just don't think Ryan Jarvis and Danny Crow were good enough. Jarvis was slow and Crow was fat.

I mean, our posh training centre, Cat 1 academy and focus on youth etc didn't stop Tristan Abrahams heading back to the Conference or Daniel Adshead going back to League One.

It did surprise me that Michael Spillane didn't have a football league career though, think he had the ability but perhaps didn't mature from his days as tweedle dumb.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Honestly just don't think Ryan Jarvis and Danny Crow were good enough. Jarvis was slow and Crow was fat.

I mean, our posh training centre, Cat 1 academy and focus on youth etc didn't stop Tristan Abrahams heading back to the Conference or Daniel Adshead going back to League One.

It did surprise me that Michael Spillane didn't have a football league career though, think he had the ability but perhaps didn't mature from his days as tweedle dumb.

I think someone came on here at the time Crow went and said something along the lines of him being the most talented player in that age bracket but the coaches didn't like him, his face didn't fit and so wasn't kept on... I think if that's accurate, it could be read to be something to do with his attitude. Crow wasn't "fat" either though.

As for the others... well possibly, yes. I didn't see them play. My comment was more about Jarvis than any other player mentioned. He was the one that was clearly seen to have the most talent yet we kept him sitting in the reserves which can't have helped his progression. Speed isn't the only thing. We had plenty of players around that time, before, during and after, of whom pace was not a gift they were blessed with.

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

Crow wasn't "fat" either though.

Weren't he?

This was 2008 at Cambridge United, practically an oblong.

Danny_Crow_04-10-2008_1.jpg.3df9679c776bbab4e1c23cd44c239e4c.jpg

Edited by TeemuVanBasten