Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report The AGM 2022

I arrived fairly early tonight and my old friend Roger Smith had already bagged a couple of seats in a nice position. Before proceedings began I had a nice chat with respected Pinkun poster Myra Hawtree, one of the very few who have been supporting this club longer than me. The surprise of the night was to see Mark Attanasio walk in with Delia, something I don't think any of us expected.

We kicked off with the now customary slick video, nice but I don't know what it really adds. Then quickly got on with the formal business where all resolutions passed on a show of hands. Tom Smith was chairing tonight and I thought he did it in a very professional manner and later on handled a few slightly difficult moments quite well.

On to the Q and A where the first question was obviously the rift between the club and the local media. Zoe explained how the arrangement worked in the past and how in her opinion the press had made unwarranted personal attacks on members of staff. The comparison of Dean Smith to rotting mushrooms was mentioned. There was a plea from the floor to the effect that the relationship needed to be healed which received affirmative applause.👍

There was criticism of Stuart Webbers recruitment and the man himself had the courage to stand up and admit mistakes were his responsibility. He also explained the difficulty of recruiting established Premier players when we had to include a 60% wage reduction if we were relegated. I expect we all wished it were different but wishing won't make it so.

The club are looking in to complaints about the new floodlights but the lumination is now controlled by what the broadcasters wanted rather than what suits spectators. However they hoped to make some changes.

For those who want the ticket office to reopen for face to face purchases, hard luck, its not going to happen.

Tom Smith explained that an expletitive email had been submitted by an unnamed person re the flying of the Pride flag. He rightly stated that the club were totally committed to equality and this again was received with affirmative applause.👍

A question was then asked of Mark Attanasio. There were thanks for his 10 million quid but reservations re the conditions which could see him getting his money back with interest if things didn't go as planned. I was quite impressed with his fullsome relpy and his statement that he was not here to take advantage of the club and supporters. Only time will tell us how this works out.

There were questions on fan engagement, betting companies as sponsors, season ticket prices etc and my friend Roger Smith asked the same question he did 20 years ago when we were all hoping for stadium enlargement. Apparantly there is still nothing concrete but the same firm of architects that did Liverpools enlargement are reporting on the feasibility of building over the top of the present main stand. I still expect that I will be long dead before this comes to pass.

Stuart Webber said a few words about his close relationship with Daniel Farke and explained why he felt we needed to go in a different direction. The intimation was that being pretty wasn't enough and that we would see a tougher approach from now on from the manager and players.

Questions were asked as to why Dean Smith was not in attendance and Zoe had to be corrected that this was not normal practice. To my recollection the manager has always been there to field football related questions, certainly since AGM's have been held in the Norfolk Lounge.

Finally there was another plea for peace with the local press from another old guy who used to read the EDP in the outside bog with a candle.

Thats about all I can remember.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 27

Thanks for relaying this back. 

The 60% wage reduction clause is a really interesting aspect.  Probably explains the Rashica situation and his reluctance to even look remotely interested start of this season.

And here's the EDP's mushroom article if anyone missed it (I did):

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23083954.dean-smith-mushroom-will-last-longest/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ricardo for such prompt reportage. From it i think all the top topics were pickedvup and quite a challenge to the top table. Apologies for a few follow up questions below.

Attanasio's attendance in person is indeed a surprise and the implication is this is a very serious link up indeed. Was that your view? Interesting too that Zoe felt the manager hadn't attended such events, did she seem to be on the back foot? 

How did Delia and Wynney seem? Were they lively?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The bloke in the outside bog was our top pink un poster @vos 💛💚

Good man. He sat just in front of me.

4 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Thanks Ricardo for such prompt reportage. From it i think all the top topics were pickedvup and quite a challenge to the top table. Apologies for a few follow up questions below.

Attanasio's attendance in person is indeed a surprise and the implication is this is a very serious link up indeed. Was that your view? Interesting too that Zoe felt the manager hadn't attended such events, did she seem to be on the back foot? 

How did Delia and Wynney seem? Were they lively?

I was impressed with Attanasio, he seemed a genuine guy but the as always the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Delia seemed a bit glum at times. I didn't notice MWJ  funnily enough.

Yes Zoe got it wrong, I remember managers always being there in recent times (this century)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I was impressed with Attanasio, he seemed a genuine guy but the as always the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Yes Zoe got it wrong, I remember managers always being there in recent times (this century)

Dean Smith wasn't there last year. But we wouldn't have expected him to be as he wasn't here for the accounting period. Previous year I think was covid. Otherwise the manager has always been there.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Dean Smith wasn't there last year. But we wouldn't have expected him to be as he wasn't here for the accounting period. Previous two years I think we're covid. Otherwise the manager has always been there.

I think the best was when Glen Roeder had to be restrained, that got quite nasty.

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Delia looked very unimpressed when the bog guy said sure she could remember the Bly Bly Babes Pinkun headline from the 59 cup run

Looked really pissed off 

Edited by daly

Just now, daly said:

Delia looked very unimpressed when the bog guy said sure she could remember the Bly Bly Babes Pinkun headline 

Looked really pissed off 

January '59, Ive still got the Pinkun mate😉

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The bloke in the outside bog was our top pink un poster @vos 💛💚

Unfortunately Nutty I forgot to take the blood pressure pills. It was a bit unkind of Ricardo to refer to me as an old guy. I am only 84. It was pretty clear that Delia and Winnie have taken a back seat and the show is run by the Webbers and the new typical modern Britain directorships. Not a word about the accounts and the Manager not present. Clearly to avoid any criticism and all a bit stage managed. There is little doubt this Board is making little effort to engage its supporters. To sum up their attitude in a nutshell - they have an income of £120 million but feel it necessary to charge a loyal supporter a pound to issue a ticket.

• Like 12

Just now, ricardo said:

I think the best was when Glen Roeder had to be restrained, that got quite nasty.

Talk about a disconnect. Some of these managers don't get the way we do things. There wouldn't be another club where the team manager would be fed to the lions / pussycats. And it looks like we now follow suit.

I remember Chris Hughton turning up for a fans forum very soon after he was appointed. David McNally said he had to explain to him "this is how we do things at Norwich". Hughton had never known anything like 🙃

Just now, vos said:

Unfortunately Nutty I forgot to take the blood pressure pills. It was a bit unkind of Ricardo to refer to me as an old guy. I am only 84. It was pretty clear that Delia and Winnie have taken a back seat and the show is run by the Webbers and the new typical modern Britain directorships. Not a word about the accounts and the Manager not present. Clearly to avoid any criticism and all a bit stage managed. There is little doubt this Board is making little effort to engage its supporters. To sum up their attitude in a nutshell - they have an income of £120 million but feel it necessary to charge a loyal supporter a pound to issue a ticket.

Sorry Vos, no disrespect intended. I'm still a youngster compared with you.😉

3 minutes ago, vos said:

But this is what the 'little old Norwich' critics always wanted.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

But this is what the 'little old Norwich' critics always wanted.

It’s almost like some are going to criticise the club whatever they do. 🤔

Thanks ever so much Ricardo.

I quite like this disintermediated journalism type thing now!

Really wish those people asking questions about the rift with local media would use Webbers words about “ignoring the noise” - getting offended by some Twitter twit isn’t that.

Also another Webber phrase could be used on that topic of recruitment - “pissing money up the wall”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Sorry Vos, no disrespect intended. I'm still a youngster compared with you.😉

The guy next to me was busy scribbling notes. I did ask him if he was Ricardo !!!!  I should have turned around and made enquiries - but can't bend my neck at my age. OTBC.

• Haha 1

I don't have any problem with Dean Smith not being there, obviously it has been done in the past but when we have a sporting director like Webber in place he represents the on pitch arm of the club, like managers previously would have.

Given the mixed reaction of supporters to Dean Smith would have thought this was tactical move by the BOD to avoid any floor questions as it was Webber who decided he was not invited 

Great report as always. You can remember more than me!  I was sat a few rows back almost directly behind you. As when your friend Roger stood up he blocked my view! Good to know he's still about. I was involved in a couple of village pantos with him years ago!

I'm also pretty sure sitting just behind me were Mark Attanasios family. There were a couple of teenage kids who looked bored and out of place. Then as I got up to leave I noticed they were talking to a few others who had club shop bags. Wanted to get close enough to hear an accent but might've come across as a bit stalkerish. Was a surprise to see him. Thought he spoke well.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Thanks for relaying this back. 

The 60% wage reduction clause is a really interesting aspect.  Probably explains the Rashica situation and his reluctance to even look remotely interested start of this season.

And here's the EDP's mushroom article if anyone missed it (I did):

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23083954.dean-smith-mushroom-will-last-longest/

Article made me chortle, as I actually thought it was quite funghi...

26 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It’s almost like some are going to criticise the club whatever they do. 🤔

It's almost like some are going to never criticise the club whatever they do. 🙃

29 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

This is the club's official account of the AGM. The only thing of interest is the photo gallery:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/club-holds-agm-for-shareholders-at-carrow-road

Basically amounts to a meeting took place and some people were there. Also some questions were asked around some topics.

Truly the insightful reporting that makes the local journalists presence redundant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Basically amounts to a meeting took place and some people were there. Also some questions were asked around some topics.

Truly the insightful reporting that makes the local journalists presence redundant.

Tbh given the poor quality of journalism these days, that isn’t actually too far wrong.  But it makes little sense for the relationship to be so strained and they should look to repair things.  I can see both sides of the argument but the club gains plenty from local media being onside and media gains from having information to tell.  It makes little sense for them not to get on.. 

Thanks to Ricardo for such a decent report 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Correct me if i am wrong but didn't Zoe Webber state that she had attempted to make contact with the editor of the EDP/EEN but has not received a response ?

Edited by TIL 1010

I also heard that a shareholder had submitted 17 written questions prior to tonight, now i wonder who that could be ?

• Haha 4