Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

England squad announcement

Let's see who actually gives a t oss... the important squad for us was announced yesterday and the Sarge is going to the World Cup!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Let's see who actually gives a t oss... the important squad for us was announced yesterday and the Sarge is going to the World Cup!

Surely that's a bit of a risk? Isn't it illegal in Qatar to be ginger and have curly hair? 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

You just know he's destined to score against us/england and you know what if he does I will have no shame in celebrating his goal

Does anyone actually give a toss about this World Cup?

Stupid time of year. Stupid Location.

We'll probably lose to Iran or something.

5 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

Maddison is in the squad apparently.  Shows how much all of these armchair pundits really know.

Knowing Southgate think we all know Maddison will be subbed on at the 87th minute against Iran and that's all we will get to see of him 🙃

I know you can't put 10 Messis out on a pitch and you need balance, but we do have have a great bunch of forwards and I don't want to see the usual concentration on not losing by Southgate. 

Foden, Grealish, Bellingham, Maddison, Kane backed up by the dependable Rice should be able to breeze through the group stages. 

Lets not call a 1-0 win over Iran as anything other than efficient. I remember Eric Idle saying club football is the 51 weeks of the year life. England should be the week on the beach in the sunshine.

7 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Now let's see if he gets game time, or if Southgate selected him purely to shut the media up

We can only hope. I've been watching Norwich for 53 years and he's one of the top 3 that has played for us. I'm baffled that he hasn't been playing for England regularly 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Maguire.

Oh, well. There go our chances.

On the plus side there's no Mings.🙂 

Every silver cloud.

For the first time ever, I'm not bothered about this World Cup. I may be when it gets going but it's hosted by a country that I have little time for and isn't really that interested in football.
When it's hosted in a footballing nation, it really seems to add to the excitement.

45 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We can only hope. I've been watching Norwich for 53 years and he's one of the top 3 that has played for us. I'm baffled that he hasn't been playing for England regularly 

You and me both. First saw him when we purchased him from Coventry as a kid and we played them pre-season, won 6-1 I think, and you could see even then what a talent he would become

• Like 1

No real surprises and to be fair no real other options given injuries and form.

Tournament football is a different beast to the glorified friendlies that is the Nations League, and qualifiers. Hopefully previous experience will benefit England.

As we always hear, games are won and lost in the midfield. Ours is bang average. Last 16 / quarters as usual at a bet.

5 minutes ago, Canario said:

games are won and lost in the midfield. Ours is bang average.

I don't get why Foden, Maddison, Saka are listed as forwards in that graphic up top.  They're midfielders in my book, but i'd even class Grealish as a midfielder.

My book must be out of date?! 🙂

3 hours ago, K Lo said:

For the first time ever, I'm not bothered about this World Cup. I may be when it gets going but it's hosted by a country that I have little time for and isn't really that interested in football.
When it's hosted in a footballing nation, it really seems to add to the excitement.

Agreed although I would add that the World Cup should also go to a country with a strong sporting  tradition not necessarily football. That would include Australia for example. South Africa was fine from that perspective as well. Playing the tournament in an artificial environment in desert is (and always was) an absurd idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Maguire ball watching again tonight. I think I would prefer Coady alongside Stones.

Coady is excellent as part of a back 3.  Weirdly not great as one of two in a back 4.

I'd have taken Ward-Prowse ahead of Gallagher for his versatility and dead ball skills but aside from that nothing much to complain about