Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Bad Request - Edge v Chrome

I know I've covered this before, but the current update of the Pink'Un site has made things worse. The issue arises when you are in the Pink'un main site, either the non-subscription version or the Pink'Un + subscription site, and you try to access the forum via the menu links at the top of the page or the drop down menu. As of yesterday I think that both sites are now on the same platform, whereas previously they seemed to be on two separate ones.

So I was trying to find a way to access the forum for most of yesterday. I have had to change my browser from MS Edge to Chrome to access the forum as in Edge on my PC, or via Samsung Internet on my Android phone, which means effectively re-joining the site again (a pain but ...).  When I try to access the forum from the main site (either subscription or non-subscription site, the letter I used to get access to the forum) I get the following message when trying to access it:

image.png.3804240bf2f661ce14755eabddccd703.png

It might be that other browsers are affected.

I've tried to contact the powers behind the site, but that is fairly difficult, as there is no direct contact for the IT dept. and they point you to FAQ's which currently don't have the above as one of their known issues! I've tried to raise the issue via both Facebook and Twitter but no response yet either. 

This might be the reason that it hasn't been quite as busy on here over the last couple of days, although I see quite a few regulars have made the transition although they may have already been using chrome? @nutty nigel it might be an issue for the Pup's thread if nothing else as some of the participants may not be as tenacious as me!

Any solutions to the Edge or Samsung Internet - Andriod issue is welcome. 

Ironically, in Chrome, as I posted this message (my first posting since Tuesday) I got the Bad Request message in Chrome. 🤬 It'll no doubt happen again as I post this one!

Edit: it didn't 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by shefcanary

I'm still working on this. In Chrome now I am getting the same message when accessing the forum afresh from the main site.

I have though now cleared browsing history and cache in both IE and Chrome and have regained access again from the main site. I don't want to go through that rigmarole every time I try to log in though. 

Any thoughts?

There's also a thread on the Non Football page.

I'm getting the Bad Request error on Chrome via laptop but can access and post fine on Firefox and Samsung Internet (via chrome).

I guess it will sort itself in time.

• Thanks 1

You have to clear all your history for this website, in order to work. It's a fault of the website, not you, but you can resolve it. If you're on Chrome on a Pc:

Go to the forum so you get the bad request message.

Press F12 on your keyboard. This will open "Developer Tools"

Along the top of this toolbox, select "application" then on the left select "storage". There will be a button to press "clear site data".

Once you've done that, refresh the page and you'll be fine for a few months, until it happens again. It's been a long-standing issue 🙂

devtools.thumb.png.d8f5317668719fcc903380c63cedab30.png

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You have to clear all your history for this website, in order to work. It's a fault of the website, not you, but you can resolve it. If you're on Chrome on a Pc:

Go to the forum so you get the bad request message.

Press F12 on your keyboard. This will open "Developer Tools"

Along the top of this toolbox, select "application" then on the left select "storage". There will be a button to press "clear site data".

Once you've done that, refresh the page and you'll be fine for a few months, until it happens again. It's been a long-standing issue 🙂

devtools.thumb.png.d8f5317668719fcc903380c63cedab30.png

Take a bow. Works a treat!

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This is why you use firefox 😉

Firefox will eventually cause the same problem.

26 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Take a bow. Works a treat!

Thanks. For those who don't care about their other browsing history, you can just clear your browser history entirely and have the same result. My post was for those who don't want to lose all their other browsing data.

I have four browsers and Pinkun logged on each. I usually use Firefox as it was allowing me to post live links and graphics before Google did. And it hasn't played up at all recently.

But outages are just psrt of technology. Yesterday, our Sky mobiles would only call fellow Sky mobiles. Thank goodness for land lines still.

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I know I've covered this before, but the current update of the Pink'Un site has made things worse. The issue arises when you are in the Pink'un main site, either the non-subscription version or the Pink'Un + subscription site, and you try to access the forum via the menu links at the top of the page or the drop down menu. As of yesterday I think that both sites are now on the same platform, whereas previously they seemed to be on two separate ones.

So I was trying to find a way to access the forum for most of yesterday. I have had to change my browser from MS Edge to Chrome to access the forum as in Edge on my PC, or via Samsung Internet on my Android phone, which means effectively re-joining the site again (a pain but ...).  When I try to access the forum from the main site (either subscription or non-subscription site, the letter I used to get access to the forum) I get the following message when trying to access it:

image.png.3804240bf2f661ce14755eabddccd703.png

It might be that other browsers are affected.

I've tried to contact the powers behind the site, but that is fairly difficult, as there is no direct contact for the IT dept. and they point you to FAQ's which currently don't have the above as one of their known issues! I've tried to raise the issue via both Facebook and Twitter but no response yet either. 

This might be the reason that it hasn't been quite as busy on here over the last couple of days, although I see quite a few regulars have made the transition although they may have already been using chrome? @nutty nigel it might be an issue for the Pup's thread if nothing else as some of the participants may not be as tenacious as me!

Any solutions to the Edge or Samsung Internet - Andriod issue is welcome. 

Almost certain this is the cookie issue as it was before. The advertising/tracking/preferences obviously combine to store cookies of a size which is too large for the server to receive back again from the browser! Pretty bad oversight, but whoever manages the Pinkun hosting could easily increase the allowed cookie size to resolve it (LimitRequestFieldSize on Apache).

Workaround is to clear site data for pinkun.com only (Ctrl + Shift + Del -> Close Popup -> Go to Cookies and Other Site Data -> See all site data and permissions, filter for pinkun.com under Search, click the trashcan). 

You will have to log in again (annoying) but it does (at least temporarily) resolve the issue.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Thanks. For those who don't care about their other browsing history, you can just clear your browser history entirely and have the same result. My post was for those who don't want to lose all their other browsing data.

Crap, just realised you already posted a workaround, my bad

28 minutes ago, Ian said:

Crap, just realised you already posted a workaround, my bad

Haha, no worries!

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Firefox will eventually cause the same problem.

It does already. It works OK until I try to post and then the whole thing crashes. Will your how to guide work for Firefox? 

2 hours ago, Herman said:

It does already. It works OK until I try to post and then the whole thing crashes. Will your how to guide work for Firefox? 

1. Click the menu button Fx89menuButton to open the menu panel. Click History and then click the Manage History bar at the bottom to open the Library window.
  2. Search for the website you want to remove from your history by typing its name in the Search History field in the top-right corner and then pressing Enter.
  3. Then, in the search results, right-click on the site you want to remove, and select Forget About This Site.

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Any ideas for Bad Request on iPad using Safari ( this has taken me 35 minutes)

Don't have an iPad nearby but..

if you open Settings, then click on Safari, then scroll down and click on Advanced, then click on Website Data you will get a list of websites that have stored data. You can click Edit then remove the data from just the sites that you want to remove stored data from. In your case, if should be forum.pinkun.com

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:
  1. Click the menu button Fx89menuButton to open the menu panel. Click History and then click the Manage History bar at the bottom to open the Library window.
  2. Search for the website you want to remove from your history by typing its name in the Search History field in the top-right corner and then pressing Enter.
  3. Then, in the search results, right-click on the site you want to remove, and select Forget About This Site.

Testing.

Wahey. Nice one Hoggy.👏👏👏

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I can’t believe everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room. You use EDGE?!?

To be fair you'll find very little difference between Edge and Chrome now.

I use Firefox as do so many others I recommended it to. None of us get issued with anything either. It has excellent add ons, the knowledge that you are not contributing to the 'man' and it is fast. Excellent privacy. Join the 21st century

'No shady privacy policies or back doors for advertisers. Just a lightning fast browser that doesn’t sell you out.'

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/new/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

When I couldn't access the forum it was on my pc on both edge and chrome. It always worked on chrome on my phone.

Dump the crap - use Firefox.

• Like 1