Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Shots Fired Prior To AGM.

This certainly seems to underline the disconnect between the Club and the Supporters. For many of us the local press is our conduit of information and news. It is from the local media that we get the impartial news with which we form our own opinions. This Putinesque control of what the media sees is deplorable.

Ricardo can be the Pink un forum 'clandestine reporter' amongst all the fawning nodding donkeys and including them front row happy clappy board butt kissin' cronies.... 😉 

YARN | Secret squirrel has just What you need right here. | Harvey Birdman,  Attorney at Law (2000) - S02E01 Comedy | Video gifs by quotes | ce8da63f | ç´—

Are there no Pinkun/EDP/Archant shareholders who will be in attendance? I'm sure the event could easily be reported verbatim using a phone or voice recorder.

• Like 1

Very difficult to understand this. I do wonder if there is a lack of hands on by Delia? She is an elderly woman of course but I just think so much of the club looks a bit ruthless at the moment.

For instance, a Mascot Co-ordinator is required. A list of duties. All for £10 an hour. Come on! With players reputedly on £50K a week, the club can't rush to say £40 for two hour's work on matchday?

• Like 1

A business that takes its toys away when it doesn't like what is being said, can not be that confident in what they are doing. It is utterly pathetic and the opposite of a good community club.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Very difficult to understand this. I do wonder if there is a lack of hands on by Delia? She is an elderly woman of course but I just think so much of the club looks a bit ruthless at the moment.

For instance, a Mascot Co-ordinator is required. A list of duties. All for £10 an hour. Come on! With players reputedly on £50K a week, the club can't rush to say £40 for two hour's work on matchday?

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Maybe running a successful club is not a job for an elderly retired lady or gentleman.

Didn't realise the main site had a facelift.  Looks better! 🙂

This "Break of trust" mantra seems like the perfect excuse to control things as they want.  They know traditional media outlets are suffering, and they have media services to promote themselves.  And if that fails they've only got to knock on the door of two lads in yarmouth to get some positive media presence out there.

Morally it's very underhand, but advances in technology is a massive enabler for the club to bypass who they like. 

There will come a day where Sky/BT will be forced to sit back and watch as the prem league, super league, UEFA or clubs themselves have their own worldwide exclusive streaming services dealing direct with the end customer.   And we'll probably be sat nostalgic about the time where all you needed was a monthly Sky sub that came with additional content, for the same price of a single match.

The start of the article is a lovely read, though. Some will probably see it as over nostalgic and tragic, and I do get that.  But for me, it's quite sad and frustrating.  Feel's a very deliberate business/content move to me, and not a short-term attempt to spite the media.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

This certainly seems to underline the disconnect between the Club and the Supporters. For many of us the local press is our conduit of information and news. It is from the local media that we get the impartial news with which we form our own opinions. This Putinesque control of what the media sees is deplorable.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Are there no Pinkun/EDP/Archant shareholders who will be in attendance? I'm sure the event could easily be reported verbatim using a phone or voice recorder.

For many of us the local press is our conduit of information and news - really?

For a long time I have got virtually nothing of value from the Archant reporting and this has got worse as I have no intention of wasting my money on a subscription. This message board is my primary source, @ricardo (although mistaken on Brexit) produces better match reports, @Parma Ham's gone mouldy better tactical analysis, although not posting so much @Bethnal Yellow and Green provides better insight, @PurpleCanary, @sheffcanary better financial insight and apologies for any missed. Twitter breaks news faster, BBC fills the details. The only sort of scoop they have had was spotting the American's at the game but that soon dried up afterwards.

I am not expecting anything of note from the AGM and as @Capt. Pants points out it would be easy enough to provide coverage if they really wanted to.

• Like 5

I think the club's marketing and PR departments should be coming under close scrutiny for their decision-making. They should have been fully aware that having a large contingent of sports business people being entertained by the club at a globally televised football game would get attention. It's their job to think about these things and make sure that the club doesn't do things that give away its activities if they're concerned about keeping information under wraps. 

To blame the press for bringing it up when the club had more or less announced it when they took Attanasio's entourage on the pitch at Tottenham is not only petty, but absurd. If the club's marketing and PR aren't up to handling the press then they shouldn't be in the job in the first place. 

What does the club think is going to happen when we get back to the Premier League? Do they seriously think they can expect the nationals to doff their cap to the club's PR department?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

But the club has said there is no disconnect! 😉

12 minutes ago, BigFish said:

This message board is my primary source,

Think you missed a rather important name on that list.....  (Hint: ^ They're above ^)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BigFish said:

For many of us the local press is our conduit of information and news - really?

For a long time I have got virtually nothing of value from the Archant reporting and this has got worse as I have no intention of wasting my money on a subscription. This message board is my primary source, @ricardo (although mistaken on Brexit) produces better match reports, @Parma Ham's gone mouldy better tactical analysis, although not posting so much @Bethnal Yellow and Green provides better insight, @PurpleCanary, @sheffcanary better financial insight and apologies for any missed. Twitter breaks news faster, BBC fills the details. The only sort of scoop they have had was spotting the American's at the game but that soon dried up afterwards.

I am not expecting anything of note from the AGM and as @Capt. Pants points out it would be easy enough to provide coverage if they really wanted to.

I would happily agree that those posters named above are great examples of what a "community" type of club is about. You get thoughtful analysis from all of those contributors and very balanced too (on things to do with Norwich City). I would add a few more to the list but like you it would inevitably mean I would miss others. Your list is a good start. I would also add those who post on the Pup's forum as representing the club's best interests.

I have a feeling Webber is the instigator of all of this because he also has taken his bat home, ever since he didn't like to take his own messaging to heart ("ignore the noise"). The trouble is that once you lose trust in this manner you slowly but surely lose a part of your club's Identity. A sad state of affairs when local journalists are kept out. All very childish to my eyes.

IMO the answer is for Archant to stop reporting all things Norwich City, press conferences, match reports, match rearrangements and report on all the other local sport for a period. Archant can then tell the elderly couple running (or ruining the) club they will return to normal reporting once the Webbers have left the club.

4 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

IMO the answer is for Archant to stop reporting all things Norwich City, press conferences, match reports, match rearrangements and report on all the other local sport for a period. Archant can then tell the elderly couple running (or ruining the) club they will return to normal reporting once the Webbers have left the club.

Don’t know about that. I’m sure their clicks are higher than ever with hungry eyeballs peeping into the latest on the drama. Us sorry folk on here make up the Lion share of their advertising revenue in sure. 

4 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

You are missing the key point, in part this is a battle over content. Archant's tenuous financial stability & future is dependent on eyeballs. If they stop reporting, readers will stop consuming and the whole Archant edifice collapses in a heap.

30 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Maybe running a successful club is not a job for an elderly retired lady or gentleman.

Maybe it's a younger not retired lady and gentleman, that are actually running the club?....

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

But the club has said there is no disconnect! 😉

Nah....probably just a couple o' blown fuses....

8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I have a feeling Webber is the instigator of all of this because he also has taken his bat home, ever since he didn't like to take his own messaging to heart ("ignore the noise"). The trouble is that once you lose trust in this manner you slowly but surely lose a part of your club's Identity. A sad state of affairs when local journalists are kept out. All very childish to my eyes.

I don't blame him, if some teenage scribbler is slagging you off why allow them preferential access?

31 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I don't blame him, if some teenage scribbler is slagging you off why allow them preferential access?

Because criticism is part of the job?

You might find musings from anonymous pinkun posters enough coverage but how are Parma, Bethnal or Ricardo equipped to actually hold the club to account? 

I find it pretty incredible that anyone, including usually sensible posters such as yourself, think this is a non-issue. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Who cares what any journalist says really, regardless of their age? Tomorrow's fish and chip paper as they say. Just another example of the big man over the little man in my view. A kind of journalistic class war if you like. People in positions of power need to have broader shoulders.

Edited by sonyc

43 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Maybe it's a younger not retired lady and gentleman, that are actually running the club?....

One of them is not even full time.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Because criticism is part of the job?

You might find musings from anonymous pinkun posters enough coverage but how are Parma, Bethnal or Ricardo equipped to actually hold the club to account? 

I find it pretty incredible that anyone, including usually sensible posters such as yourself, think this is a non-issue. 

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Who cares what any journalist says really, regardless of their age? Tomorrow's fish and chip paper as they say. Just another example of the big man over the little man in my view. A kind of journalistic class war if you like. People in positions of power need to have broader shoulders.

Thanks for the usually sensible btw @king canary. The key to me is that if you sweep away the faux outrage what difference does restricting Archant access mean to us as fans. The AGM is a classic example. I don't expect anything interesting to come up but we will know if it does, so the absence of Archant journos make no difference. As for holding the club to account this just doesn't happen, there is no mechanism for this so it just doesn't happen. If the Americans take the club private there will be no AGM to report on.

I can't see how it can be a good idea to pick a battle with the local press. Even if it were part of a strategy to weaken the newspaper* as "hinted at" above it hardly a good thing for the local community especially at a time when local radio is going to be cut. I support City because they represent my community and so does the EDP, which I want to see survive for the same reason. I can't see how it is a good idea to weaken one of the few local voices in an increasing international world.

Without wishing to sound like a priest/ teacher surely it is time for the two to sit down and sort out their differences - the current situation seems to be damaging to both.

* (I don't think that it is still owned by Archant is it?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1