Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Saints sack Ralf

I had thought that he was doing a reasonable job with a bang average squad and no money but when you read the linked article which asks how long a manager can last when the players don't want him and the reasons why it looks like a bullet dodged if we were linked.

Miles better than what we ended up with so hardly a bullet dodged. We were double tapped with Smith and Shakey.

Also I can't actually remember us being linked with him. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

I had thought that he was doing a reasonable job with a bang average squad and no money but when you read the linked article which asks how long a manager can last when the players don't want him and the reasons why it looks like a bullet dodged if we were linked.

Bullet dodged?! I'd have him over Smith in a heartbeat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Any link at all would be made up tripe from a fan. No manager in their right mind would have jumped from another prem team to the sinking ship that was NCFC at that time.

He was never linked to us and I'm not sure he would be suitable for a promotion chasing club mid season, and I'm no Smith fan.

I reckon 2 or 3 more EPL managers might bite the dust over the WC break, including Moyes.

6 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Miles better than what we ended up with so hardly a bullet dodged. We were double tapped with Smith and Shakey.

Also I can't actually remember us being linked with him. 

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm no Smith fan but if you are able to read the article linked in the OP - or more pertinently to one of those linked from it - there is quite a detailed account of how Hasenhuttl reacts when things go against him which would hardly be unexpected managing us in the Premiership. 

If you aren't an Athletic subscriber and can't or haven't read the articles then, as I stated in my response, I had thought Hasenhuttl had been doing a reasonable job in difficult circumstances with the implication that had he been interested (although I am with those suggesting that such a link isn't one that I remember and would be unlikely in the extreme) then he would have been an interesting candidate.  However - and this is the key point here - having read some new information I would be potentially changing my opinion.  Which I realise is an alien concept to some on here.

If you both still think the same afterwards having read them both then fair enough.  We can agree to disagree.  Otherwise you are basically responding to half the post with Pavlovian Smith out responses.  I might even agree with that, but it isn't really the point.

Edited by Barham Blitz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

His next job will be bigger than the Norwich job Deano got.

Look at the jobs Steve Bruce has had, though.

Edited by Google Bot

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

But you’d have my nan over Smith, so not sure what that proves? 🤨

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Look at the bruce Steve Jobs has has, though.

Bit early in the week to be drinking at 10 in the morning?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Look at the bruce Steve Jobs has has, though.

Bruce got a reputation for being a steady hand that can help stabilise a struggling club. Not sure if he'd have got many of those jobs if the clubs were on the up, I take the point though.

Hasenhuttl will still be a far more sought after coach than Smith.

100% would take Ralf over Smith. Quality head coach. Natural leader. Good football. Lost his way a bit this season but that's what happens when a club consistently sells their best assets.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No, just no. He has less of a track record for doing anything at a club than Smith. Quite a few times he's been on the verge of being sacked (how many 9-0 home defeats has he been in charge of) but has somehow pulled results out of a hat. But the bottom line is the Saints are in a worse position than when he arrived with probably a worse squad. And some of the gear he wears on the touchline, well, how can you trust a manager who seems more suitable for a pantomime villain? He's done nothing to suggest he can get a club out of the Chumps!

Already has a couple of promotions under his belt from his time in Germany.

Finished significantly above Smith's Villa in 19-20.

As we learned with Farke, people significantly over value Championship experience. 

A club like Saints have been even more keen on selling their best players than us. Van Dijk, Mane, Bale, Shaw, Walcott etc. And they have had a very good youth system.

So there will be periods when they suffer, understandably, and the directors need to accept that. The wealthy Liebherrs didn't exactly throw money at the club.

So I don't see that he has done a bad job. Just one that was only going to end in tears.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Already has a couple of promotions under his belt from his time in Germany.

Finished significantly above Smith's Villa in 19-20.

As we learned with Farke, people significantly over value Championship experience. 

Ah, but another thread has been discussing relative strengths of the German league and the Championship. From most, the view would be that German 2nd division would be no better than League 1. I find it very wierd people want a pantomime clown in charge of getting us back to the EPL, especially one who regularly sends teams out at home to lose 9-0.😵💫

Nathan Jones seems an odd choice, has done very well at Luton but failed with Stoke. Though Michael O'Neill and Alex Neil didn't fair much better.

3 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

I'm no Smith fan but if you are able to read the article linked in the OP - or more pertinently to one of those linked from it - there is quite a detailed account of how Hasenhuttl reacts when things go against him which would hardly be unexpected managing us in the Premiership. 

If you aren't an Athletic subscriber and can't or haven't read the articles then, as I stated in my response, I had thought Hasenhuttl had been doing a reasonable job in difficult circumstances with the implication that had he been interested (although I am with those suggesting that such a link isn't one that I remember and would be unlikely in the extreme) then he would have been an interesting candidate.  However - and this is the key point here - having read some new information I would be potentially changing my opinion.  Which I realise is an alien concept to some on here.

If you both still think the same afterwards having read them both then fair enough.  We can agree to disagree.  Otherwise you are basically responding to half the post with Pavlovian Smith out responses.  I might even agree with that, but it isn't really the point.

I've read it, seems a little confused to me. On the one had it bemoans his change in touchline demeanor to something more sedate and withdrawn and then in the very next section it highlights his overly-emotional touchline behaviour as something the players don't like? This is a red flag for me; sounds like the authors may have a bit of an axe to grind.

I don't know enough about what goes on at Southampton to have anything like an informed decision. And whilst it is a moot  (as @Branston Pickle highlighted, he was never an option for us last November) had he been available and willing to come after Farke's sacking, at the time and with hindsight, he would have been head and shoulders above Dean Smith as the better replacement.

Whats the betting they get Knutsen and we watch on as he does wonders?  Jones is a red herring I think.

Edited by Google Bot

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Whats the betting they get Knutsen and we watch on as he does wonders?  Jones is a red herring I think.

Jones would be silly to take it. He couldn't handle Stoke. Although at the moment, Howe is showing he can handle Newcastle.

We were definitely linked to him.

I think it may have been on Sky sports suggesting he was on our shortlist as I recall thinking it was **** and no way would he leave them for us bottom of tge league.

I always quite liked him.