Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Would you buy Ramsey

It's a hypothetical question, as we've already been told we'd have to sell before we can release funds to buy anyone.

My question is with Placheta, Rashica & Tzolis out on loan, and the former imo never having shown anything, could we do worse than to try and buy Ramsey?

I can't see him getting into the Villa side anytime soon in near future, especially with Emery now in charge, would you think he's worth buying, how much do you think he's worth, and would you offload any of those I've mentioned to bring him in?  

I wouldn't at the moment, he's definitely not shown anything to suggest he'd do well in the EPL yet. However, when you think how he was playing in his earlier appearances to how he is now there has been  a major improvement, albeit from a very low base. If he continues to improve at the same rate he could be decent.

At the right price he is worth a punt to develop and add value to. But if he comes at the British player premium, which I fully expect to be the case then I think he will be too highly priced relative to his potential which only clubs with deeper pockets can take a gamble with. 

I'm afraid it's a matter of the better he plays, then the less chance it is that we will be able to afford him, or even offered the chance to buy him.

• Like 1

We could have probably afforded him prior to the campaign starting. However, like Ollie Skip before him, he will become more valuable the longer he stays and continues in the rich vein of form he is in. 

3 goals and 3 assists. If he ended up on something like 8 goals and 10 assists he would instantly attract interest from Prem teams. If he was available at a good price in Jan it wouldn't be the worst idea..

If he is good enough for us to buy he will be too expensive for us to want to as things stand.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I can't find any information on when Aaron's contract expires at AV.

The end of this season. We would have to pay compensation though to sign him on a free unless they either don’t offer him a new contract or they offer him one that is less favourable than his current contract.

• Confused 1

Too early to say. I'd like to see what Rowe brings to the party first and if Cantwell can then challenge for the no. 10 spot before we consider buying Ramsey.

I'd be more keen on landing Hayden on a permanent tbh, even if we don't go up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

The end of this season. We would have to pay compensation though to sign him on a free unless they either don’t offer him a new contract or they offer him one that is less favourable than his current contract.

That seems weird. Surely if he's out of contract anyone can go for him?

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I can't find any information on when Aaron's contract expires at AV.

June 2023 apparently, although I'd imagine they'll have an option to extend

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That seems weird. Surely if he's out of contract anyone can go for him?

No because he's under 24. 

Under both the Premier League’s and the English Football League’s (EFL's) Rules and Regulations, a club signing an out-of-contract player under the age of 24 is (subject to the former’s club’s compliance with certain requirements) obliged to pay compensation to the former club for its training and development of the player.

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I wouldn't at the moment, he's definitely not shown anything to suggest he'd do well in the EPL yet. However, when you think how he was playing in his earlier appearances to how he is now there has been  a major improvement, albeit from a very low base. If he continues to improve at the same rate he could be decent.

But we’re a championship side?

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

And likely to be next season as well.

Even if we had the £15m that it would probably cost to take him.... we need too many players in other positions to justify spending that on one player.

Our best hope is that Tsoliz has a strong finish to his loan and comes back looking like a different animal.

Considering we look to be losing quite a few players either in Jan (to actually receive funds), or at the end of the season when their contracts run out, then it make sense, especially as he's young, and we're alreasy starting to see the potential.

Ramsey is doing well for us, but I think comparisons with other players, e.g. Cantwell (no goals, no assists) are unfair. Cantwell is being asked to do a lot defensively, to pick up the ball and carry it forward, and also to create chances up front from midfield. Ramsey is playing much further forward, with fewer defensive duties, asked to do little of the 'water-carrying', and allowed to stay mostly near the opposition's penalty area to sniff around for scoring opportunities. It is not surprising that he is getting better figures than Cantwell in terms of goals and assists.

This is not an anti-Ramsey post. He's doing well, but we should compare him with what other players might do in his role rather than those in completely different roles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Yes, and we already have him for this Championship season. If our aspiration remains to get into and stay in the EPL, there's not much point spending limited funds on someone who, on current evidence, wouldn't be much use the EPL.

There's enough "dead wood" hovering around the club as it is - let's not add more. 

To the unsavvy he looks ok against the minor clubs - we have higher aspiration than 16th on the table. 

47 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Yes, and we already have him for this Championship season. If our aspiration remains to get into and stay in the EPL, there's not much point spending limited funds on someone who, on current evidence, wouldn't be much use the EPL.

Don’t think we should be planning on what might happen in the future… The plan should be buying players that makes this squad a championship promotion one.

The lad is 19 remember, and scoring and assisting in the championship. That’s really impressive, I think he’s a top talent and a future EPL player for sure. Probably supported by the fact we’ve got zero chance of actually getting him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

There's enough "dead wood" hovering around the club as it is - let's not add more. 

To the unsavvy he looks ok against the minor clubs - we have higher aspiration than 16th on the table. 

“Dead wood” Jesus… look at what he’s doing at 19 years old! 

• Like 1