Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Coventry Takeover

Looks like lovely Mike Ashley wants to purchase the stadium first followed by buying out Sisu. Lots of reports in the local midlands press in the last few days, I’m not sure whether it would help or hinder them. 

Coventry sure have the potential to attract a much bigger fanbase, and their fans probably do deserve some good times.. But I'm too sure Mke Ashley is the kind of guy you want. Very much feels ilke a monkeys paw careful what you wish for if he takes over.

If it happens I think the Coventry fans will be delighted, they will have a home ground again, and an owner who is experienced and knows what it takes to support a team into the premier league, and how to stay there without spending a fortune.

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

If it happens I think the Coventry fans will be delighted, they will have a home ground again, and an owner who is experienced and knows what it takes to support a team into the premier league, and how to stay there without spending a fortune.

Now take off the rose-tinted specs. Would anyone seriously want Ashley to take over their club? Maybe have a word with the Geordies.

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Now take off the rose-tinted specs. Would anyone seriously want Ashley to take over their club? Maybe have a word with the Geordies.

I know several geordies, they do hate him.  Equally Coventry fans are desperate for stability and to play in their own ground.  

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Yes! Most Coventry fans would. Sisu to Ashley would be heaven on earth. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1

It probably isn't a popular take but in terms of financials there isn't much difference between how Ashley ran Newcastle and how our owners run this club.

They were largely profitable and self funding under his ownership and basically had no external debt. He wasn't popular with fans largely because he wouldn't pump funds in and have the club spend beyond it's means and due to some very odd appointments but in terms of balance sheets he ran the club sensibly. 

Edited by king canary

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

It probably isn't a popular take but in terms of financials there isn't much difference between how Ashley ran Newcastle and how our owners run this club.

They were largely profitable and self funding under his ownership and basically had no external debt. He wasn't popular with fans largely because he wouldn't pump funds in and have the club spend beyond it's means and due to some very odd appointments but in terms of balance sheets he ran the club sensibly. 

Was that true at the start of his ownership though, or just when reality set in? After a couple of beers and a glass or two of red wine I can’t be bothered to check but there have been lots of owners (Tony Fernandes immediately springs to mind but the Coates family at Stoke is another) who thought throw a few million at the club, buy a few big names and we’ll smash the Premier League, just to realise after that failed or years spending a fortune that a more balanced budget was more realistic.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Was that true at the start of his ownership though, or just when reality set in? After a couple of beers and a glass or two of red wine I can’t be bothered to check but there have been lots of owners (Tony Fernandes immediately springs to mind but the Coates family at Stoke is another) who thought throw a few million at the club, buy a few big names and we’ll smash the Premier League, just to realise after that failed or years spending a fortune that a more balanced budget was more realistic.

I couldn't tell you all time but Swiss Ramble said that Newcastle had the 4th highest pre tax profit over the decade before he sold of any Premier League club.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I couldn't tell you all time but Swiss Ramble said that Newcastle had the 4th highest pre tax profit over the decade before he sold of any Premier League club.

How many clubs are in profit in the PL? Not many I suspect. Maybe the conclusion is that Ashley is a shrewd businessman in football as he is elsewhere, but I doubt that is Delia and Michael’s motivation, otherwise I’m sure they would have sold out to some chancer with deep pockets.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

How many clubs are in profit in the PL? Not many I suspect. Maybe the conclusion is that Ashley is a shrewd businessman in football as he is elsewhere, but I doubt that is Delia and Michael’s motivation, otherwise I’m sure they would have sold out to some chancer with deep pockets.

Not many indeed.

I'm not comparing their motivations but it is interesting to me that our self funding model is often seen as sensible, noble and an example others should follow by a section of our fanbase while Ashley has a reputation as some club wrecking shyster you wouldn't want near your team. 

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Not many indeed.

I'm not comparing their motivations but it is interesting to me that our self funding model is often seen as sensible, noble and an example others should follow by a section of our fanbase while Ashley has a reputation as some club wrecking shyster you wouldn't want near your team. 

Maybe that’s a reflection of the supporter expectation? 🤔

Without actually looking at the numbers, I would say there is a difference between self- funding and profitable as a desired goal. Man U fans would probably have a thing or two to say in this area too.

9 hours ago, king canary said:

Not many indeed.

Yeah but Ashley kept getting hammered at matches.

Oh wait....

• Haha 2

Ashley has stated he is only interested in the real estate not in buying Coverntry City.  Coventry to be allowed to play at the stadium if takeover completed. 

12 minutes ago, pete said:

Ashley has stated he is only interested in the real estate not in buying Coverntry City.  Coventry to be allowed to play at the stadium if takeover completed. 

Honestly moving out of Highfield Road and gong to the Ricoh Arena was always a bad idea. Really has screwed them over in the long run when it was obvious to most all they needed to do was to invest money into highfield and it's facilities and parking and they would have been fine. But nope, they went and moved into the new, shiny yet souless Ricoh with it's 32,000 capacity which given that even in their height of attendence in the 90's Coventry were only getting an average of between 16 and 18 thousand fans.. And when they did move they were only just able to get an average of 20,000 for one season just after moving to the Ricoh before the average attendence over the next couple years then went down and fell back to between 16-18 thousand. .. Which given the original plans for them were to move to an almost 50,000 capacity stadium look even more sillly!