cambridgeshire canary

Aaron Ramsey- Not just Smith's mate?

That’s one of those goals that looks really messy but actually has some good play in it.

Fantastic direct direct run by Sargent with a decent shot, great determination by Pukki and Ramsey does really well to follow the play and make sure he is in the right place at the right time.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, RugbyCanary said:

Not watched the game. Can anyone say if it was a 2 up top or captain America on the wing?

Definitely 4-4-2 diamond. Significantly the wide midfielders seemed to be forming proper partnerships with their fullbacks (apart from when Kenny turned up on the right wing for a few minutes in the second half). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rock bus said:

That’s one of those goals that looks really messy but actually has some good play in it.

Fantastic direct direct run by Sargent with a decent shot, great determination by Pukki and Ramsey does really well to follow the play and make sure he is in the right place at the right time.

Interestingly, wasn’t Sargent’s shot with his left peg?  He’s done that a fair bit and I’m sure we were told by one ‘expert’ that he didn’t have one!?

edit - but this is meant to be about Ramsey - he’s been playing well of late.  With him, Sara and Hayden fit and firing we have started to look a fair bit better 

Edited by Branston Pickle

42 minutes ago, RugbyCanary said:

Not watched the game. Can anyone say if it was a 2 up top or captain America on the wing?

BYG suggested on Twitter a sort of 4-2-2-2:

Totally different players, but Ramsey has the end product that Cantwell hasn't. 

Great to see our midfielders getting in on the goals of late.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Totally different players, but Ramsey has the end product that Cantwell hasn't. 

Great to see our midfielders getting in on the goals of late.

Think DS said we’ve had 16 different scorers this season - I couldn’t be bothered to check but that seems a lot with less than half a season played, I guess a mix of having injuries and being a bit flexible.

28 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Interestingly, wasn’t Sargent’s shot with his left peg?  He’s done that a fair bit and I’m sure we were told by one ‘expert’ that he didn’t have one!?

edit - but this is meant to be about Ramsey - he’s been playing well of late.  With him, Sara and Hayden fit and firing we have started to look a fair bit better 

More than one ‘expert’. I think some of those experts had written him off completely. The same ‘experts’ that seem to take joy out of writing all sorts of players of ours off!

• Like 2

I made some fairly sarcastic remarks about Ramsey when we first loaned him. I was wrong. He's a decent player, even at his young age.

Personally I didn't think he had a particularly good game yesterday compared to most of the team. But he turned up in the right place at the right time, which is a very important skill and something he seems to be good at.

I don't rate him anywhere near as highly when he's on the wing.

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean.. Are the Villa fans wrong though?😂

vinna.png

Yes they're generally wrong,  but not about the entitlement bit.

However I think the away fans have been superb and delighted they were rewarded with a win yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes they're generally wrong,  but not about the entitlement bit.

However I think the away fans have been superb and delighted they were rewarded with a win yesterday. 

It’s a bit rich that they mention “entitled”. The majority of people I know are villa fans and I’ve heard some absolute hilarious comments from them regarding O’Neil, Grealish, 1982 and premiership status.

Back onto Ramsey. He was quiet yesterday. One good turn and the ref decide to give a free kick instead of advantage for him to start the attack, a few neat passes and in the right place for his goal. 

He needs to work harder for the team and want the ball more. He is definitely a lot better than that game against Hull (where he missed an absolute sitter). So for them to have a go at “inbred” Norwich shows how much attention they are actually paying to the loan export, as Smith has certainly improved him. But he needs a lot more improvement before he is premiership standard.

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

Really? On the plus side he's scored 3 goals, 2 of which were keeper assisted . On the minus side he disappears for most of the game. He's not fit to lace Cantwell's boots 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

While I'm not the 'expert' you're referring to, you peaked my interest enough to check on the actual facts regarding Josh's left peg.

Of his 12 goals for us, only 2 have been scored with his left foot (against Coventry and Bournemouth) according to transfermarkt.co.uk. That said, I checked the replay for his second against Bournemouth and he actually fell on his ar5e, missing the ball with his left and then the ball clipped the back of his right and went in.

So 1 in 12.

he does have a left foot, can kick a ball with it but that's about it; you're never going to bet your house on him getting many with it. If you were inclined to describe his right as a wand, his left would probably fit the description of a brick.

I've clearly got too much time on my hands today.

OTBC

2 hours ago, Badger said:

BYG suggested on Twitter a sort of 4-2-2-2:

This formation works if the fullbacks can do a fair bit of attacking, which Aarons and McCallum did yesterday tbf. Only thing I'd like to try is have Sargent (#24) as the spearhead and Teemu just slightly off him.

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Interestingly, wasn’t Sargent’s shot with his left peg?  He’s done that a fair bit and I’m sure we were told by one ‘expert’ that he didn’t have one

Have a day off.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not sure who you think you are quoting, as I've never called myself an expert, but there's been £25 up for grabs for Pups for 15 months... payable when Sargent scores with his left foot. I'm not paying out on a shot.

Read Disco Dale’s reply - apparently 2 in 12 with his left, or 1 if you exclude Bournemouth.  He clearly favours his right, but there’s not a lot unusual in that.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Read Disco Dale’s reply - apparently 2 in 12 with his left, or 1 if you exclude Bournemouth.  He clearly favours his right, but there’s not a lot unusual in that.

Just watched the highlights and I'll count the Coventry one and pay £25, not realised he'd bagged one. 

Do me a favour though and don't put words in quotes to imply that people have said something when they haven't, I've never called myself an 'expert' anything. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just watched the highlights and I'll count the Coventry one and pay £25, not realised he'd bagged one. 

Do me a favour though and don't put words in quotes to imply that people have said something when they haven't, I've never called myself an 'expert' anything. Thanks. 

I think you’ll find it is (largely) a “free country” and I can put “whatever I like” in “quotes”.

But I’m feeling generous and will match that £25 to csf as I won £100 on the club lottery and promised myself I’d give half away.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Really? On the plus side he's scored 3 goals, 2 of which were keeper assisted . On the minus side he disappears for most of the game. He's not fit to lace Cantwell's boots 

Considering Cantwell’s lack of end product this season that’s a strong opinion. Cantwell not finding Josh yesterday was absolutely criminal.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Considering Cantwell’s lack of end product this season that’s a strong opinion. Cantwell not finding Josh yesterday was absolutely criminal.

TC can be our best player one game and not get picked the next. But he isn't a Villa player.... 

I like Ramsey and I've been able to see the positives he offers from the start. However, the negatives also remain since the start- he always has 10-15 minutes early in the game where he looks like probably the best player on the pitch, and then reverts to a total passenger.

Given what we heard about Sinani and subsequently how he started the season, I'd think he would have contributed similar by now.

15 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

TC can be our best player one game and not get picked the next. But he isn't a Villa player.... 

Ramsey has been dropped too. But he's the only midfielder we've got who's pushed himself into the right position to score goals. 

I know a lot went early on Ramsey being "Smiths Villa mate" and feel the need to double-down but in the cold light of day it really does look a bit silly.