Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Are we all happy tonight?

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

Re. 'Person of the Match', can I just make some aesthetic objections?

'Man of the Match' has the alliteration of the repeated 'm', the assonance of the repeated 'a', plus the pleasing rhythm of OooO.

'Person of the Match' loses the alliteration and the assonance and has no rhythm at all.

You’re right. Let’s hold back on doing the right thing because it lacks alliteration and timbre. 

What does it actually matter that it’s POTM instead of MOTM if it means people that don’t identify in a binary way, whether they play football or not, feel happier and more accepted in society? 

6 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Inclusivity is fashionable. Ok. 

Avoiding your obvious sarcasm, you've made my point!

I've no issue in including everyone - and believe me in my job I've got no choice anyway - but changing something that has been in place for decades under the "inclusivity" banner? Give me a break.

By all means, have a Woman of the Match in women's games but keep Man of the Match for men's games.

Some people still like to identify as male and female, men and women (as outrageous as that sounds).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

You’re right. Let’s hold back on doing the right thing because it lacks alliteration and timbre. 

What does it actually matter that it’s POTM instead of MOTM if it means people that don’t identify in a binary way, whether they play football or not, feel happier and more accepted in society? 

I thought the P was ‘Player’.
No reason not to have MOTM and WOTM, though not sure LGBTQ+OTM would catch on, so POTM is fine.

12 minutes ago, Richard Richard said:

Avoiding your obvious sarcasm, you've made my point!

I've no issue in including everyone - and believe me in my job I've got no choice anyway - but changing something that has been in place for decades under the "inclusivity" banner? Give me a break.

By all means, have a Woman of the Match in women's games but keep Man of the Match for men's games.

Some people still like to identify as male and female, men and women (as outrageous as that sounds).

All males identify as People or Players. Not all People identify as Male, despite playing in a game where the gender is described as Male. One way around is 100% inclusive, the other is not. 

Not all eskimoes are Inuits but all Inuits are eskimoes 

Player of the match looks right to me. 

I could quite easily say, without thinking, that a player was MOTM after watching a woman's game. Only because the phrase is associated with the best player of the match.

So player of the match is definitely the correct phrase that should be universally used.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No reason not to have MOTM and WOTM, though not sure LGBTQ+OTM would catch on, so POTM is fine.

Sorry, yes, it is 'player'. 

16 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Agree. POTM works for all. I can’t understand why some people feel otherwise. 

Doing something for decades doesn’t justify it as Richard Richard said. There’s been loads of examples of us doing something for decades then changing it when it’s shown to be potentially damaging practice. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Good all round performance, not brilliant but a huge improvement over the dross we have seen.

Exactly a year on since we binned Farke and this is probably the most encouraged I have felt.

Getting the thread back on track I'd agree with this.

Decent display, drummer, beer, company and weather ( ish )

Had a whole lot worse.

13 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

All males identify as People or Players. Not all People identify as Male, despite playing in a game where the gender is described as Male. One way around is 100% inclusive, the other is not. 

Not all eskimoes are Inuits but all Inuits are eskimoes 

Clearly we're never going to agree on this and that's fine. We all have different views.

I won't be told what to think and neither will you 👍

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You mean as fans we should be doing this?

Totally agree. Every time I go I believe we will win. If we played Man City tomorrow I could spend the rest of today trying to convince a disbelieving message board why we could win. Most would laugh at me, and deride me as being a happy clapper, so great to have you on my side 👍

Would you mind calling them Person City, please?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Richard Richard said:

Clearly we're never going to agree on this and that's fine. We all have different views.

I won't be told what to think and neither will you 👍

Whilst I respect this completely I do just want to end by saying I’m not trying to tell you what to think, but point out that MOTM causes some people upset. Not me but some people. I can’t understand why something so simple as changing the word ‘Man’ to ‘Player’ causes more upset to some for seemingly no reason other than it being ‘change’ when the alternative is it causes genuine upset to others for clear and identifiable reasons. That’s the thing I struggle to understand. I’m open minded enough to listen to an argument to persuade me why changing it is upsetting, aside from just not liking change in general. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Would you mind calling them Person City, please?

Both me and the wife have battled manfully with this and for personifold reasons came to the conclusion they remain Man City.

15 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Whilst I respect this completely I do just want to end by saying I’m not trying to tell you what to think, but point out that MOTM causes some people upset. Not me but some people. I can’t understand why something so simple as changing the word ‘Man’ to ‘Player’ causes more upset to some for seemingly no reason other than it being ‘change’ when the alternative is it causes genuine upset to others for clear and identifiable reasons. That’s the thing I struggle to understand. I’m open minded enough to listen to an argument to persuade me why changing it is upsetting, aside from just not liking change in general. 

Probably because City won this weekend 😂

• Haha 1

I think its always awkward when men try to claim things offend people without any knowledge of it. 

MOTM is fine, there's no intention to offend with it and it's less literal than some make out anyway. If someone was non binary and won MOTM I'm sure we would all be happy to refer to it as POTM but all in all it shouldn't be a big deal either way. 

For most fans it'll always be MOTM

• Like 2

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Both me and the wife have battled manfully with this and for personifold reasons came to the conclusion they remain Man City.

Int'it Manchester City, like Norwich City, just like Manchester United not just United! 😉

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Int'it Manchester City, like Norwich City, just like Manchester United not just United! 😉

No, it's Citeh.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

No, it's Citeh.

Reminds me that in pub before match yesterday, I was discussing our recent performances referencing United for the Blades (it's a Sheffield thing), both my drinking pals were horribly confused about why I was discussing Manchester United when we weren't in the same division. 🤣🤷‍♂️🤦

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kirku said:

Why do you care?

I care about people and society and the way society is fragmenting is not healthy for people imo. At the end of the day we are all individuals with our own foibles/hang ups/interests and characteristics and really, there is an unlimited amount of groups that could be created for people to identify with. Personally I think labels are just labels and don't pay much attention to them and there has been nothing wrong with calling football "mens" or "ladies" football - and even if you do not consider yourself under one of those labels, then if you want to take part in football you still have to play in one or the other of those categories. 

I'm all for equality and acceptance for all - but we all have to fit in to society somehow - but for me a healthy society is all accepting and labels do not help that imo.  If everyone just treated each other with respect and acceptance, anyone, whatever category they identify with, would feel ok about being themselves. Its down to everyone to sort their own attitudes out, not worry about creating politically correct labels for everyone who sees themselves as different to the majority. 

So people need to have personal responsibility - its not a popular concept because people on the whole like labels and pigeonholing people. Each to their own, we are all part of life's big pageant and diversity should be celebrated, but labels are largely meaningless - often just tokenistic - it's what is behind the labelling that matters.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Reminds me that in pub before match yesterday, I was discussing our recent performances referencing United for the Blades (it's a Sheffield thing), both my drinking pals were horribly confused about why I was discussing Manchester United when we weren't in the same division. 🤣🤷‍♂️🤦

Its thought it was "Blunts" and "Pigs" in Sheffield........

49 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I always liked that song by Elton John, Rocket Person

So what happens to Old Man River now then ?

1 hour ago, paddycanary said:

Hear hear Cowchild, well said!

Cowperson-of-indeterminate-age, if you don't mind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So what happens to Old Man River now then ?

I have no idea 😁, I don’t even want to think about manhole covers ! 

16 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Three points away from home.

Up to 4th.

Kenny scored.

Two Rays Funds wins adding £40 to the pot.

If Carlsberg made Saturdays...

Not bad fishing so far Nutty. 😜

Edited by TIL 1010

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I always liked that song by Elton John, Rocket Person

'Person' by John Lennon is another feel-good number.

"The Person Who Sold the World" - Nirvana or Bowie?

"I'm Every Person" by Chaka Khan

"Mad About the Male Child" by Dinah Washington

And Neil Diamond's sultry "Female Child, You'll be a Person Soon" always pleases the ear.

Enough now, stop! Must be respectful. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Last one, Shania Twain - “person, I feel like a person”

Motley Crue: Female children, female children, female children

• Like 1