Sign in to follow this  
Brussel Sprout

James Maddison

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

So did the prime minister at the time yet I didn’t see the line of people there to throw him out when he was having his cheese and wine. I guess it’s whatever people feel offended by at the time. 

I think you will find that Southgate is leaving him out of the squad too 😉

• Haha 1

Maddison clearly has the ability to go.  I suspect the issue is more the fact that he is clearly a number 10 and that just doesn't really exist in Southgate's preferred formations.  Does he have the defensive capability and discipline of Mount to play in central midfield or the ability to play from the flanks like Foden or Grealish ?  Probably not.  I'd take him, but I can see why Southgate might not, particularly given Kane's propensity for dropping deep and needing runners beyond him.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Maddison clearly has the ability to go.  I suspect the issue is more the fact that he is clearly a number 10 and that just doesn't really exist in Southgate's preferred formations.  Does he have the defensive capability and discipline of Mount to play in central midfield or the ability to play from the flanks like Foden or Grealish ?  Probably not.  I'd take him, but I can see why Southgate might not, particularly given Kane's propensity for dropping deep and needing runners beyond him.

Leicester for the most part this season...and for some of last...are playing him on the right of a front 3.

He could therefore play even in Southgate's ultra defensive system and he's currently in better form than Sterling, Mount,Grealish,Bowen and Sancho

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Leicester for the most part this season...and for some of last...are playing him on the right of a front 3.

He could therefore play even in Southgate's ultra defensive system and he's currently in better form than Sterling, Mount,Grealish,Bowen and Sancho

I'm not an expert on the way Leicester set up by any means but funnily enough I'm just watching their game on Match of the Day and if Maddison is supposed to be playing wide right somebody really ought to mention it to him !

I agree he is the form midfielder and as I said I would take him.  I was just pointing out why Southgate might not.

Edited by Barham Blitz

8 hours ago, Payno10 said:

If I was Maddison I would look at my heritage to see if I could play for another country the way southgate treats him over mount and grelish 

O'Maddisoñ has a ñice ring to it 😇. Call it payback for Rice.😂😂😂

• Haha 3

He played for us lads, you know what he's like away from the pitch.

He couldn't be trusted in Norwich City centre, I wouldn't want to be stood near him in Qatar. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Number9 said:

He played for us lads, you know what he's like away from the pitch.

He couldn't be trusted in Norwich City centre, I wouldn't want to be stood near him in Qatar. 

What are you referring to, couldn't be trusted in Norwich City centre? Forgive me, I can't recall anything so please do enlighten me

• Like 1

I think No.9 is referring to the time he was observed on Tombland bragging about his wealth compared to the nightclubbers of Norwich.I'm certain he's not the only member of that England squad who's done such things or something similar.Foden,Grealish and Maguire to name three.

With James and Chilwell out , I think we can name 22 of the 26 as follows

Pickford Ramsdale Pope

Walker Trippier Alex-Arnold Shaw Stones Maguire Dier Tomori

Rice Bellingham Henderson Phillips

Foden Sterling Mount Saka Grealish

Kane Abraham

I'd say the remaining 4 will come from..

Coady Guehi White Ward-Prowse Bowen Rashford Toney

Just cant see Maddison being bought in from the cold at this late stage

2 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I think No.9 is referring to the time he was observed on Tombland bragging about his wealth compared to the nightclubbers of Norwich.I'm certain he's not the only member of that England squad who's done such things or something similar.Foden,Grealish and Maguire to name three.

Didn't he, or one of his entourage, end up in court?

Sterling always looks like he should play for us - he goes on mazy runs, gets in a great position, and then falls over.

If Southgate was building a team for the league he'd build it around Maddison - well certainly if he had any sense.

The pressures on the England Manager, and the players is such that it sucks all the risk-taking and flair out of them, and I can't see this ever changing.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

With James and Chilwell out , I think we can name 22 of the 26 as follows

Pickford Ramsdale Pope

Walker Trippier Alex-Arnold Shaw Stones Maguire Dier Tomori

Rice Bellingham Henderson Phillips

Foden Sterling Mount Saka Grealish

Kane Abraham

I'd say the remaining 4 will come from..

Coady Guehi White Ward-Prowse Bowen Rashford Toney

Just cant see Maddison being bought in from the cold at this late stage

You might be right - not really the most inspiring list in terms of recent form attack-wise.  I’d much prefer we took players in form rather than gambling that ‘names’ will decide to turn up.
Sterling in particular has found it tough at Chelsea (he’ll now score a load v Arsenal!).

Edit - White surely goes ahead of Maguire in defence?  I guess it’s the ‘names v form’ thing, but Maguire has barely kicked a ball in the PL this season (100 mins in the last 10)

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I recall that but it's hardly justification to say he couldn't be trusted in Norwich. If the poster can't back up the comments then they should be removed

12 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

I recall that but it's hardly justification to say he couldn't be trusted in Norwich. If the poster can't back up the comments then they should be removed

Quite - I imagine the vast majority of the adult population has been a bit of a **** after having a few pints.

20 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Looks like Ivan Toney has a bit of unwanted controversy around betting now.

Toney won't go anyway, if Calvert-Lewin is fit that is. If Southgate was thinking of taking him he would've got minutes in the Nations League. Southgate has his favourites and they will go. He is the most blinkered England manager I can remember, but don't forget his mantra was that he would pick players on form. What a heap of hogwash

11 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

O'Maddisoñ has a ñice ring to it 😇. Call it payback for Rice.😂😂😂

The FAI approached him in 2019 but he turned them down.

Love Madders and of course he should be at least a bench player for England. Unfortunately Southgate picks on favouritism not form.