Sign in to follow this  
Myra Hawtree

Set Piece coach

Yes a corner is a set piece.

I'm not buying into this new coach, seen some horrific short ones and knee high nothing balls this year

We haven’t seen a huge benefit yet in terms of goals - though maybe feel a bit more threatening than recent seasons?  Presumably they work on both defence and attack, and we’ve not conceded from too many….

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Had 11 vs QPR I think 

And I’m not sure if we managed any attempts on goal from any of them except for the last one. I can’t remember us winning any first contacts let alone a decent effort on goal. Hanley’s last second effort came from a corner bouncing through the six yard box due to awful defending. 

Edited by Mutley
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We haven’t seen a huge benefit yet in terms of goals - though maybe feel a bit more threatening than recent seasons?  Presumably they work on both defence and attack, and we’ve not conceded from too many….

I would agree we look better defensively. 

Thought we saw signs of some inventiveness from set pieces today, first time I have actually noticed something promising.

• Like 1

I think in general we have looked much more of a threat from set pieces this season. Without goals though it doesn't look as good but we have plenty of decent chances from them I think. Obviously the flashy routines are good to see but when you have 9 corners like today it's not possible to have a clever routine for every single one.

Set pieces have noticeably improved this season to give the team and staff some credit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orly said:

Set pieces have noticeably improved this season to give the team and staff some credit.

Yes we still haven't scored many but we've created some good chances from them compared to previous seasons. Kenny almost scored today, and I think it was Sargent had a chance come from one. Hanley hit the post in the last minute from one last week. Definite improvement albeit not quite successful yet 

Edited by AJ

Can someone explain why we don't leave someone forward on defensive corners. In my mind it gives us an outlet and causes the opposition  to bring another player or two back as well. I've never understood this. 

• Like 1

I think we can file it under ‘marginal gains’ along with soccerbot.  These marginal gains are very hard to see with the naked. I mean how does Gibson not manage to get anywhere near the ball from a corner.. in years?  And sometimes you’d wish Hanley wouldn’t bother as he has such a 50p head! Our only plan seems to be as ever .. Kenny make a run to the near post. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Clever Farke said:

I think we can file it under ‘marginal gains’ along with soccerbot.  These marginal gains are very hard to see with the naked. I mean how does Gibson not manage to get anywhere near the ball from a corner.. in years?  And sometimes you’d wish Hanley wouldn’t bother as he has such a 50p head! Our only plan seems to be as ever .. Kenny make a run to the near post. 

It’s a fair point, our most aerially threatening players don’t have a strong history of scoring from set pieces. I don’t think that’s just because of our lack of creative invention.

25 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

Can someone explain why we don't leave someone forward on defensive corners. In my mind it gives us an outlet and causes the opposition  to bring another player or two back as well. I've never understood this. 

I think statistically packing the box stops you from conceding.  Did you see Brentford’s corners last season, they threw everyone into the box, with their deepest defender just outside the penalty area D.  

• Like 1

Can somebody explain why we need one. How did we manage to score from set pieces and defend ones against us in the past?

Truth is, we have nobody good enough to attack the ball.

Set piece coach, Soccerbot, 60ft posters of players, stripes on the side of stadium.

All money well spent.

Looking at the league stats, 19 clubs have recorded between 4 and 7 goals from set pieces.

Top: Millwall 13, Sheff Utd 10

Bottom: Sunderland 0, Coventry 2, Cardiff 3

Just now, Pyro Pete said:

Looking at the league stats, 19 clubs have recorded between 4 and 7 goals from set pieces.

Top: Millwall 13, Sheff Utd 10

Bottom: Sunderland 0, Coventry 2, Cardiff 3

That looks about right. I think we've scored 20 from open play and 3 counters. Nothing to moan about really. But we have to find something tonight or there'd be no posts at all🙃

39 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Set piece coach, Soccerbot, 60ft posters of players, stripes on the side of stadium.

All money well spent.

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That looks about right. I think we've scored 20 from open play and 3 counters. Nothing to moan about really. But we have to find something tonight or there'd be no posts at all🙃

39 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

All money well spent.

You forgot the Light Show and the No swearing rules 

We need to sack ours and replace him with whoever Sheff Utd have. My word their corners were spot on against Burnley. Caused absolute havoc.

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

Norwich are ranked joint 13th, with 5 other clubs, for set piece goals scored.

Indeed. Third in goals scored though. I guess if we took some from open play and added them to the set piece total it would look more even?

The reason that I see us not scoring goals from set plays is Hanley only seems to own a defensive header and Gibson hasn't scorfed any sort of goal whatsoever for us. Short of signing replacements in Jan I don't see that changing too much.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

We need to sack ours and replace him with whoever Sheff Utd have. My word their corners were spot on against Burnley. Caused absolute havoc.

If we sack Smith he'll go anyway.

But then if the new guy doesn't rate Kenny we'll be even less threat from set plays.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Indeed. Third in goals scored though. I guess if we took some from open play and added them to the set piece total it would look more even?

The reason that I see us not scoring goals from set plays is Hanley only seems to own a defensive header and Gibson hasn't scorfed any sort of goal whatsoever for us. Short of signing replacements in Jan I don't see that changing too much.

I agree.

But Webber's argument for bringing in a set piece coach was that it would add extra goals to those we scored from open play. Thereby giving us an advantage.

So far, that hasn't happened.

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

I agree.

But Webber's argument for bringing in a set piece coach was that it would add extra goals to those we scored from open play. Thereby giving us an advantage.

So far, that hasn't happened.

Got no idea. How many did we have after 20 games last season?