Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Rotherham (L/a)) ****

May be an illustration of 2 people and text that says "ROTHERHAM UNITED NORWICH CITY SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 5 (3PM) AESSEAL NEW YORK STADIUM LOTUS LOTUS sky bet CHAMPIONSHI NSH LOTUS Joma фc"
May be an image of map and text that says "GLOBAL KICK-OFF Helsinki 17:00 Toronto 11:00 Norwich 15:00 ROTHERHAM UNITED VNORWICHCITY V CITY Berlin 16:00 Tampa Bay 11:00 Los Angeles 08:00 Beijing 23:00 Athens 17:00 Abu Dhabi 19:00 Rio De Janeiro 12:00 Seoul 00:00 Hong Kong 23:00 Bangkok 22:00 TAMPA BAY FLORIDA Buenos Aires 12:00 Sydney 02:00 Harare 17:00"
May be an image of outdoors

Videos:

Articles:
The Pink'Un has it's usual presser coverage article here.
Canaries.co.uk have the clubs official build up piece here.
Rotherham have 
their own pre match piece here.

Ins, out's, shake em all abouts:
Norwich: Firm Outs: Idah, Rowe, Sorensen, Omobamidele - with injuries but expected to be returning to training after the World Cup. Ins: Sargent and Giannoulis return from injury to provide a selection headache. 
Rotherham: Outs: Cohen is suspended, McCart, Ferguson and Bola look to be out injured. Humphreys is having an injection in a back complaint, and Hall and Peltier look like they are shaking off niggles too - so possibly fitness tests for them. Ins: none that I can see.

A little bit of knowledge:
Rotherham appears to have been a hot bed of football activity in the latter half of the 19th century and a great deal of names have been loosely linked with Rotherham's roots. There was a mention of a Rotherham FC in 1870 playing on the Doncaster Road, but they don't appear to have hung about. In 1872 there was a Rotherham Wanderers playing on Jarvis's Field on Clifton Lane.

It would appear that what most settle on is that the roots of the modern day Rotherham United started with Thornhill Football Club in 1877. A year later Lunar Rovers was founded, the name derived from the many matches played by moonlight... a far cry from the dazzling lights seen at Carrow Road these days. A year later Lunar Rovers changed their name to being simply Rotherham. A few seasons later "Town" was added. 

Rotherham Wanderers disappeared from the football scene but a Rotherham Swifts appeared and then folded in 1891.

Thornhill later added United to their name, played at the Red House Ground and are largely accepted to have been 2nd in the area to Rotherham Town who played at Clifton Lane Cricket Ground and then Clifton Grove. However, poor attendances led to the downfall of Rotherham Town in 1896 which gave Thornhill United the status of the top team in town.

There is much more to this story though and without boring you all half to sleep with it, it's suffice to say that Thornhill saw off many local attempts to found teams that could knock them of the top spot locally. Some took on names like Rotherham Town again, Thornhill changed to Rotherham County to trump them. After many trials and tribulations which saw both clubs face extinction in 1925 Rotherham Town and Rotherham County amalgamated to form Rotherham United. 

Rays Funds for the Community Sports Foundation:
1616890774_25march2022.thumb.jpg.1c6db4177753c5f64e04807ed606a5b7.jpg
Nutty has his PUPs thread up and running as usual. Please do go and take a look and take part in all of the fun.

Edited by chicken
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good to see you and your great match threads back buddy

Mid week fixtures can be a bit of a squeeze for me. Especially on Tuesdays when I have other commitments... not sure folks want one started a day in advance! 😂

Not been 100% recently either, not covid but whatever it was has been sapping me of energy and inflicted me with a nasty hacking cough. On the mend now though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Herman said:

Have we lost yet, FFS?!

We have an xg of 0 we deserve nothing! 

Clean sheet though. Gunn player of the month for November already... 

1 minute ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

FB_IMG_1667656998144.jpg

Erm, aren't we playing Rotherham??? Top work by the media team 🙄🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Lose today and the big fat lady could be given her vocal chords a warm up -

Edited by baldy09

Difficult to understand Cantwell and Gibbs not starting, thought they did well on Wednesday and .....................McLean back in.

Got to win now or trouble brews

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Erm, aren't we playing Rotherham??? Top work by the media team 🙄🙄

Attention to detail 😉🤣

Ffs no way Cantwell will be signing a new contract when treated like this.

Gore does McLean do it?? I must be wrong because every manager sees something in him I clearly don’t

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Nunez doesn't even make the bench either 😂

I was so angry about Cantwell I'd missed this. I now actually believe that Smith is looking for a pay off 

These line ups that Smith picks totally baffle not just me but most of you it seems - what manager in his right mind would pick one of his main goal scorers to play on the wing - I am at a loss 

• Like 1

Such a depressing line up after the progress of the performance on Wednesday. This is very much a game we have to win to keep in touch with the top two.