56 members have voted

1. 1. Which winger should we have kept?

• Rashica
    • Placheta
    • Martin
    • Mumba
    • Tzolis
    • None of them, we've got enough wingers

Could be argued that all five of the players we loaned out this season are wingers, or wide midfielders, its where Mumba seems to get played out on loan.

And yet it feels like we're a winger short, seen several people say it and I agree.

Big question is, if we could have kept any one of them here for the first team squad, which one do you think we should have kept hold of?

There is something terribly traditional about the idea of a "winger". None of these are good enough to get a place in the team for various reasons but you could make an argument for selling Max, recalling Mumba and buying one of @Parma Ham's gone mouldy's famous weapons in the window.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BigFish said:

None of these are good enough to get a place in the team for various reasons=

Sinani is hardly a world beater and yet he has 13 appearances this season.

If there was a realistic chance of being able to buy a new right winger for £5m and that was added as option 7 then obviously that option would win the vote, but as we've been told that we don't have a pot to p*ss in, then this is the best poll I can come up with.

It seems to me that we planned on keeping Rashica and that's why all the others went out on loan early on. I think Smith also must have sanctioned Rashica going out and would've been aware we wouldn't be getting another winger in considering he left after the deadline in this country.

Had we kept one of those, we would've had to let someone else go, which in hindsight would probably be Dowell or Sinani. 

The best of the lot is Rashica; if he had stayed and got his head down after the windows all closed then he would've been a very dangerous player at this level.

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If there was a realistic chance of being able to buy a new right winger for £5m and that was added as option 7 then obviously that option would win the vote, but as we've been told that we don't have a pot to p*ss in, then this is the best poll I can come up with.

Would Sinani have had 13 appearances if Jon Rowe had not been injured?

• Like 1

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Would Sinani have had 13 appearances if Jon Rowe had not been injured?

Who knows.

Depends if Rowe pushed on I suspect, fingers crossed he can come in and stake his claim.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Had we kept one of those, we would've had to let someone else go, which in hindsight would probably be Dowell or Sinani. 

The best of the lot is Rashica; if he had stayed and got his head down after the windows all closed then he would've been a very dangerous player at this level.

You say that be he never shew anything in his time here to suggest he would be dangerous at any level.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't really expect to see much more of Sinani this season and wasn't thinking of another winger which I think is a rather dated idea. Thinking more of a central attacking midfielder

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Correct, but he showed plenty in the Bundesliga. If he could get close to that form then he would've been a top Championship player.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the Bundesliga may be a tad bit over rated, or at least easier for attacking players.

Yes there is Haaland, a freak of nature, to have come over here recently. But there's a growing number of big money flops like Havertz and Sancho who haven't disgraced themselves but have certainly not lived up to expectations.

This goes back years as well, the German leagues best players come over and then look a bit "meh", whether Bastian Schweinsteiger at Man Utd, or Michael Ballack who went to Chelsea and alright he nailed down a place but was overshadowed by the quality and importance of Lampard.

Take Werder Breman for example, spent a load on two of their players. They are in the top tier now and Oliver Burke is playing well, scoring and as siting for them, having failed to break into the Sheffield United side in the Championship last season, flopping at West Brom, and not pulling up any trees at Millwall on loan.

Starting to think that doing pretty well for a bottom balf Bundesliga side only really translates into being Championship standard.

31 minutes ago, repman said:

It seems to me that we planned on keeping Rashica and that's why all the others went out on loan early on. I think Smith also must have sanctioned Rashica going out and would've been aware we wouldn't be getting another winger in considering he left after the deadline in this country.

Yeah, looks like bad planning now 

23 minutes ago, AJ said:

You say that be he never shew anything in his time here to suggest he would be dangerous at any level.

Agreed.

Just consistently failed to get away from full backs to get a cross in, they were almost always simply blocked, now and again he'd cut inside for a shot and it would be a tame effort straight at the keeper, over and over again.

Never looked like scoring or creating.

I voted for Josh Martin to be honest, clever player, adept at feeding Pukki, has looked very good in this league for us in the past, albeit only a brief spell but more than can be said for Placheta at the very least.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Round of applause to all the norks that voted for millot "I don't want to be here I signed up to play premier League football" racshi1tsca.

For the one millionth time the lad didnt want to be here and was blatantly in a sulk since farke left.

27 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Who knows.

Depends if Rowe pushed on I suspect, fingers crossed he can come in and stake his claim.

I thought he staked his claim last year in the PL. Didn't you think he'd be part of this season's first team squad?

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I thought he staked his claim last year in the PL. Didn't you think he'd be part of this season's first team squad?

I did, but that still leaves us with 4 wingers for two spots when all fully fit, with one of those (Cantwell) arguably being better in the number 10 spot, yet we've got 4 strikers for one spot. I'm not even sure Sinani is a winger, he was more a number 10 for Huddersfield.

Also, two of the players in my poll were loaned out AFTER he got injured. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I did, but that still leaves us with 4 wingers for two spots when all fully fit, with one of those (Cantwell) arguably being better in the number 10 spot, yet we've got 4 strikers for one spot. 

Also, two of the players in my poll were loaned out AFTER he got injured. 

But the plan wasn't made AFTER. It's not like they make the decisions the day these players are loaned out. 

Anyway, hope he's back soon and fulfills last season's potential. One of the things I like about Webber's strategy is that he makes a pathway for our youngsters to step up. He's quick to get shot of the 'bed blockers' whoever signed them and he doesn't sign a journeyman fourth choice centre back but trusts our youngster. 

In days gone by, a "winger" was an out and out wise man who beat the full back to get crosses in. We have players capable of that at the club and on loan, but Hugill aside who barely gets a lookin we have no target man

52 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Take Werder Breman for example, spent a load on two of their players. They are in the top tier now and Oliver Burke is playing well, scoring and as siting for them, having failed to break into the Sheffield United side in the Championship last season, flopping at West Brom, and not pulling up any trees at Millwall on loan.

Starting to think that doing pretty well for a bottom balf Bundesliga side only really translates into being Championship standard.

Burke hasn't started a game this season, scoring 2 goals in 11 sub appearances. The most he's played is 23 mins. Most of his appearances are around 15 mins long.

I'm not sure that's convincing evidence of your claim.

Edited by kirku

51 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Michael Ballack 

Premier League and three time FA Cup winner Michael Ballack was meh? 

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Premier League and three time FA Cup winner Michael Ballack was meh? 

de Bruyne, Gundogan, Sane, Firmino, Aubameyang, and Son are also really average

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm beginning to wonder whether the Bundesliga may be a tad bit over rated, or at least easier for attacking players.

Yes there is Haaland, a freak of nature, to have come over here recently. But there's a growing number of big money flops like Havertz and Sancho who haven't disgraced themselves but have certainly not lived up to expectations.

This goes back years as well, the German leagues best players come over and then look a bit "meh", whether Bastian Schweinsteiger at Man Utd, or Michael Ballack who went to Chelsea and alright he nailed down a place but was overshadowed by the quality and importance of Lampard.

Let's not forget drmic who was a goal machine in the bundesliga but was so bad for us!😢

1 minute ago, Canary dwarf said:

Let's not forget drmic who was a goal machine in the bundesliga but was so bad for us!😢

Goal machine?

He scored 14 goals in the 6 seasons before joining Norwich.

I've gone with Tzolis, based on what I would have gone with at the start of the season. Its easy now to say Mumba as he doing so well, but if he stayed, how much would he have developed in the time he would have had on the pitch. I think had Tzolis been kept and used, he would have gained confidence and pushed on well. But alas, we will never know.