Sign in to follow this  
yellow_belly

What I would do…

I have had a good think about the club following various (great) comments on here; supporting the club for 4 decades; and why I chose to watch the game at home this week.

If I was at the club I would do the following (simple) things:

Existing Sporting Director. SW has a years rolling contract. Give notice on the year now and let SW work around the implementation of any projects he is working on, especially around Colney. Change his title to reflect this. If he wants to go before… great because we can save his salary for this period. It is obvious that he will be away soon, so let’s be proactive. After all the club is far bigger than Stuart Webber.

New Sporting Director. We know that this is going to be Neil. A good man, a football man… not a yes man (re article). Let him have full control now. Give him this window etc. 

Local media. get them in now and onside. Neil has a good rapport with the local media. Get the positivity back.

Manager. I don’t think he is the future. But with Webber gone, let’s get behind him for this season. If we need to make a change do it now or in the summer. But let’s support him (I am guilty because I haven’t) But he needs to get them going… make them believe.

Atmosphere. We need to make the club a fortress. Better music, banners, razzmatazz… would Tyson Fury come out to the drivel we have.  What music would you have? Seven Nation Army would be good?!

Team. We have a lot of players that are wrong for the system we play etc. But we have them at the moment. With the players available right now, I would play:

Gunn

McCallum, Gibson, Hanley, Byram

Cantwell*, Hayden, Ramsey, Aarons
Pukki behind Sargent.

Cantwell… tell him that he is the man. Get Hucks to mentor him. He is a confidence player. Run at the opposition. Get free kicks etc.

Hayden - defensive, supported by Ramsey. Ramsey to get forward as and when.

Aarons… is better going forward. Let him run at players and cross. Can overlap and support Byram. Solid down that wing defensively.

Pukki… play behind Sargent. Intelligent player… play balls for him to run onto.

Sargent. Get Holt to mentor him. Direct, fast causes problems.

All players… get the crowd going… Holt to help with showing how to connect with crowd.

subs… (obviously depends on how game going, players etc.) but on 60… Hughill for Sargent, Gibbs / McLean / Nunez for Hayden 

Sara for Ramsey / Cantwell

Onel for Cantwell / Aarons 

Etc.

The players need to believe that they get can beat any team in this league. Run at defenders, control the middle… and get some early big tackles in. Show the supporters and more importantly the opposition that we are up for this.

We can do this. But we need to change and adapt or we are going wither and die.

OTBC.

Ps happy to replace Dean Smith and win this league. Ready and willing 😂

8EDD47E9-4DEE-4ED6-BC83-2FCED47E7512.jpeg

Edited by yellow_belly

Given this and the 'Right wing is officially a problem position' thread am I alone in thinking that (for all of his virtues) Max isn't actually that convincing in his ability to go past defenders ?

Moving into space from right back or overloading a full back in conjunction with another forward or midfielder is one thing.  This is how Aarons looks effective in an attacking sense.  Being creative and beating players who are expressly targeted to mark you is very different. 

I'm really not sure that shoehorning him into a right wing role is in anyone's interest, but it is something that seems to be being increasingly suggested.

Edited by Barham Blitz
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

Given this and the 'Right wing is officially a problem position' thread am I alone in thinking that (for all of his virtues) Max isn't actually that convincing in his ability to go past defenders ?

Moving into space from right back or overloading a full back in conjunction with another forward or midfielder is one thing.  This is how Aarons looks effective in an attacking sense.  Being creative and beating players who are expressly targeted to mark you is very different. 

I'm really not sure that shoehorning him into a right wing role is in anyone's interest, but it is something that seems to be being increasingly suggested.

Thanks.. I just feel that Aaron’s would be good higher up the pitch … especially because the squad lacks a winger. Worth a go in my opinion.

Clearly in  order to capture the hearts and minds of the modern and diverse youth of today we need to create a top class song for all to sing loud and proud, one that will go down as a historic song of beauty and love towards our club. You know, just like Readings..😉

3 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

I think you're correct but I don't think being able to go past defenders is a prerequisite for any winger nowadays either. 

The logic behind people calling for him to play right wing is that his greatest strengths are attacking ones, and we seem to have a dearth of options there right now. I think Max is at his best when he's free to express himself and he has players to combine with. I don't think it's a coincidence that Max's downturn in form came with Sargent playing right wing.

Overall, I think Max's struggles are a result of the team he's playing in and the players he's nearest, not anything on his end. Put him in a side which has a clear idea of what to do in possession and he will be back to what he was doing before.

• Like 1

Webber's prestige is slipping further and further with each transfer window debacle.  Following on from the signing of Pukki and Buendia he looked a genius.  But now he is spending millions on failing, sub standard players he is looking a liability.  He hasn't moved and probably the opportunities have dried up.  Wishing him to fall on his sword mabe a forlorn dream, why would he leave a cushy number where he is feted by the owners and potential owners.  Until they realise how he has put our club in financial jeopardy, probably when parachute payments are no longer, shall we continue to suffer the wisdom of Webber.

1 hour ago, yellow_belly said:

Thanks.. I just feel that Aaron’s would be good higher up the pitch … especially because the squad lacks a winger. Worth a go in my opinion.

Mine was a respectful disagreement for the reasons outlined - you may well be right !

3 hours ago, yellow_belly said:

He's gonna look even more ridiculous hoofing back to the keeper from higher up the pitch,  it's enough seeing him do it from the halfway line every time he gets a touch.

Maybe you have stumbled on the answer for us here…

how about wingbacks?

Gunn

Hanley, ombamadiele, Gibson

aarons, Hayden, Nunez, Cantwell, Giannoulis

sargent and Pukki

you can then use Idah and Hudgill as subs for the front two, Dowell, McClean, gibbs and Sara as competition for the middle 3

and you can always use Hernandez and Rowe as the wild cards off the bench?

surely this would allow us to get more natural width but also have some solidity and two strikers! 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Big O said:

how about wingbacks?

Gunn

sargent and Pukki

you can then use Idah and Hudgill as subs for the front two, Dowell, McClean, gibbs and Sara as competition for the middle 3

surely this would allow us to get more natural width but also have some solidity and two strikers! 

Nice team

1 hour ago, Big O said:

how about wingbacks?

Gunn

sargent and Pukki

I like the wingbacks in a 3421 formation. Pukki up top with two supporting behind (cantwell, Nunez, Sara, Ramsey) 

Edited by NFN FC
Fat fingers made a booboo

On 04/11/2022 at 15:44, pete said:

Webber's prestige is slipping further and further with each transfer window debacle.  Following on from the signing of Pukki and Buendia he looked a genius.  But now he is spending millions on failing, sub standard players he is looking a liability.  He hasn't moved and probably the opportunities have dried up.  Wishing him to fall on his sword mabe a forlorn dream, why would he leave a cushy number where he is feted by the owners and potential owners.  Until they realise how he has put our club in financial jeopardy, probably when parachute payments are no longer, shall we continue to suffer the wisdom of Webber.

Why was this latest window a debacle? 

'a sudden and ignominious failure; a fiasco' - This is what debacle means to help you with your answer.

Can you also expand how he has put our club in financial jeopardy too?

21 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Why was this latest window a debacle? 

'a sudden and ignominious failure; a fiasco' - This is what debacle means to help you with your answer.

Can you also expand how he has put our club in financial jeopardy too?

The financial jeopardy could be caused by spending millions on very average players or the paying of the remainder of the four years of Rashicas contract or paying the remainder of Tzolis's 5 year contract.

On 04/11/2022 at 10:00, yellow_belly said:

Also… perhaps Neil can look at the out of contract players and get the ones we want signed up?!

I don’t think it’s an admin issue, or a Webber issue or a player issue. It’s simply we don’t know what league we will be in and therefore how much money we can commit to.