Jump to content
A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

Recommended Posts

Can't wait to see how he feels now he's lost to Iran. Wonder if he cares? After all he is just like many Wales players born in England, speaks with an English accent, has only ever lived in England, plays his football in England.. Should I go on?

wales.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Only due to Irans finishing. Nothing to do with Wales. Englands 6-2 win looking better by the minute watching this.

The scary thing is that win was without arguably the best player on current form‚Ķ..Foden! ūüėČūüėė

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

We have promotion and relegation in the Nations League. The same could apply to the WC.

I think that would help weaker teams get in on a regular basis. I'd rather have Wales qualify as they had a good team and got the results rather than they were the best of weaker teams. The Expansion to 48 teams(+the nations league) will help ensure stronger well known nationals like Italy don't miss out while letting a bit more weaker teams in in the name of inclusivity. Yes non-european teams might not be the best, but you either have them or you have the Euro's twice and include Brazil into one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Senegal against Qatar. Least likely match-up in the World Cup to get a rainbow but still hoping Senegal paste Qatar as ultimately, they're not the corrupt-as-all-hell hosts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent. Qatar's reserve goalie looks gash and Senegal finally take the lead. Knock these winkers out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't wait to see how he feels now he's lost to Iran. Wonder if he cares? After all he is just like many Wales players born in England, speaks with an English accent, has only ever lived in England, plays his football in England.. Should I go on?

wales.png

Just like Jeremy Goss, although Gossy wasn't born in the UK.

 

Edited by A Load of Squit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

I think that would help weaker teams get in on a regular basis. I'd rather have Wales qualify as they had a good team and got the results rather than they were the best of weaker teams. The Expansion to 48 teams(+the nations league) will help ensure stronger well known nationals like Italy don't miss out while letting a bit more weaker teams in in the name of inclusivity. Yes non-european teams might not be the best, but you either have them or you have the Euro's twice and include Brazil into one of them.

Yes because Saudi Arabia and Japan have shown themselves to be so poor. Perhaps you should realise that it’s a WORLD cup, and not everything revolves around your Eurocentric view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2022 at 16:00, Richard Richard said:

Well, happy to be shown otherwise but in the performance v England they were appalling (despite the 'perfect', 'breathtaking' display we put in) ūüôĄ

Iran seem now not to be appalling. Maybe England were just pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BANG!

Get stuffed, Qat-HAHAHAHAHAHA!

No need for corrupt Third World shyteholes to be hosting this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Iran seem now not to be appalling. Maybe England were just pretty good.

Or maybe Wales really are poor at this level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Iran seem now not to be appalling. Maybe England were just pretty good.

Couldn't watch the game, only snippets. Iran looked half decent from what I saw to be fair.

Good to see Wales humiliated.

Hopefully England can turn it on tonight v USA. ūüĎć

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the FIFA rankings, Wales and Iran are right next to each other in 19th and 20th places respectively. We're fifth, so you'd reasonably expect England to demolish both of them without it really proving whether we're up to the fight with the likes of Brazil and Argentina.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Or maybe Wales really are poor at this level.

Wales have been very poor in this tournament so far. I think they are a bit better than that. I'm really surprised they haven't given it more of a go. Time to drop Bale now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to be honest I'm gutted Qatar have scored, wanted them to finish the 1st and only ever world cup with absolutely nothing to shout about 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Iran seem now not to be appalling. Maybe England were just pretty good.

Iran look half-decent going forward but couldn't cope defensively with the speed and movement of England in that opening game.  Best I've seen England play for ages irrespective of the opposition.

Wales on the other hand were average for the second half against the USA and have been absolutely awful for every other minute of their tournament so far.  Really, really bad.  

If they didn't up their game automatically against England you'd have to say a very comfortable England win on Tuesday.  Still should be, but for Bale and his sense of drama (given that he has done little else other than fall over for and convert a penalty thus far) in what should probably be his last hurrah in a Wales shirt....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wales haven't got a functional centre midfield. 

Anyway, Senegal have slapped in a third and knocked this shower out.

EDIT: Wonder if the BBC has the guts to stick in my comment that I pinged in on their WhatsApp? Probably not.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at all those empty seats, shambles of a host nation, hope that big bag of cash was worth this soulless tournament Fifa? Less atmosphere at games than that awful South African tournament 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Or maybe Wales really are poor at this level.

Page has probably had too much respect for the old guard, Ramsey was noticeable only by his haircut but is undroppable, didn't acknowledge the manager when he came off, not good!! The pool of players is so small, the hope was the quality guys might rise to the occasion, sadly they didn't, mainly too old. Wales deserve their place however as it was won, as with all the other nations that are there. To even get there with a pool of lower level players is a fantastic testiment to the spirit in the side and what it means to represent the Country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

No surprise Qatar going out. Infantino will be absolutely delighted with the tournament so far.

Why? Probably got an extra bung if they made it out of the groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Yes because Saudi Arabia and Japan have shown themselves to be so poor. Perhaps you should realise that it’s a WORLD cup, and not everything revolves around your Eurocentric view.

You obviously never got I was putting points across for teams from as you put it the WORLD to be in the World Cup and picking out some decent results for non-european teams doesn't collectively or historically negate that the European teams are the best. It's a good time for expansion of the tournament as this weaker teams while described as such are much stronger these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Look at all those empty seats, shambles of a host nation, hope that big bag of cash was worth this soulless tournament Fifa? Less atmosphere at games than that awful South African tournament 

When I looked for empty seats I saw people dressed in an all white cloak which from a distance gave the appearance of emptiness, but which was incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Page has probably had too much respect for the old guard, Ramsey was noticeable only by his haircut but is undroppable, didn't acknowledge the manager when he came off, not good!! The pool of players is so small, the hope was the quality guys might rise to the occasion, sadly they didn't, mainly too old. Wales deserve their place however as it was won, as with all the other nations that are there. To even get there with a pool of lower level players is a fantastic testiment to the spirit in the side and what it means to represent the Country. 

It was a last hurrah for a few of the players and I am surprised they have played so badly. Bale didn't live up to his hype.

One or two smaller nations have a golden generation now and again and Wales have qualified for two big tournaments recently. 

But unless there is a legacy, they won't be in the top 20 for much longer. England among another dozen or so nations can guarantee they will. 

They have got where they are as a collective which is always a bonus as many giant killers have proved. But to advance from that will be difficult, particularly with its love of Rugby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It was a last hurrah for a few of the players and I am surprised they have played so badly. Bale didn't live up to his hype.

One or two smaller nations have a golden generation now and again and Wales have qualified for two big tournaments recently. 

But unless there is a legacy, they won't be in the top 20 for much longer. England among another dozen or so nations can guarantee they will. 

They have got where they are as a collective which is always a bonus as many giant killers have proved. But to advance from that will be difficult, particularly with its love of Rugby.

It wont advance, how can it for a small Country, this is as good as it gets, I've been around for 64 years and never seen this, it's a joy to be there, to get out of the group would have been an unexpected and wonderful bonus. The legacy is already written but the best we can aspire to is to be "involved" in 4 years time and onwards. Of course its guaranteed for England....if it wasn't it would surely be a shocking failure, which of course has happened in the past.

Edited by Van wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

When I looked for empty seats I saw people dressed in an all white cloak which from a distance gave the appearance of emptiness, but which was incorrect.

There was literally 1000s of empty seats, as well as all the dressing gowns 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Van wink said:

It wont advance, how can it for a small Country, this is as good as it gets, I've been around for 64 years and never seen this, it's a joy to be there, to get out of the group would have been an unexpected and wonderful bonus. 

now that the EUROS have expanded to 24 teams (about half of the countries in europe)...nations like Wales will have a decent chance of qualifying for that tournament now for ever more

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

now that the EUROS have expanded to 24 teams (about half of the countries in europe)...nations like Wales will have a decent chance of qualifying for that tournament now for ever more

Yep and there are good youngsters coming through who by virtue of the relative sparcity of players will get early exposure. We have always had one or two top quality talents, the challenge is to have sufficient players of some quality around them to give us a decent chance.

Edited by Van wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...