A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

Interesting that both Messi and Mbappe play for PSG and the final is advertised as Messi V Mbappe. Who owns PSG? Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Emir of Qatar. He owns the Qatar Investment Authority which has spent and invested billions across Europe and of course heavily invested in France. He also happens to have been one of the people who kickstarted this world cup in the first place and is claimed to have been the main person behind the bribery and blackmail that led to this world cup. And where is this world cup being hosted again? Oh right, Qatar.

Really makes you think.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Paris… I should probably have known better to post a bit of a generalised comment in hindsight.

I live in Ldn now and I always cringe when I read the whole anti Ldn rhetoric on here. Apologies to you and your French friends buddy 😊

Nah it's cool. I was actually contemplating asking that... There are rude mutter baiseurs in every part of the world pretty much.

I've lived in London, and I would say there are some damned rude people there too. Especially when it comes to getting a seat on the tube in rush hour... One such experience pretty much sealed the deal for me coming home... Poor chap with half a leg in plaster, hobbling on two crutches, shoved out of the way and generally just barged from one side of the door to the other. Managed to get onto the tube, somewhat flabbergasted. His eyes found mine to be just as shocked. I had a seat. I'm from Norfolk. I wanted to slap every stupid suited one of them. I nodded, indicated he could have my seat. Just as he got close enough I got up to let him have it and some other suited pr!ck sat in it faster than you could blink. I was about to turn round an launch into the idiot but the guy with the crutches tapped me on the shoulder and said not to bother. I spent the rest of the journey trying to make sure he didn't fall over whilst giving looks of disgust to the rest of the carriage.

I have had both good and bad in Paris. Amazing street vibes in the evening. Rude idiots during the day. And also this absolutely fantastic little old lady who, as if by magic, appeared out of nowhere when me and a mate were a little lost. We had decided to go for a wander off the main touristy roads and have a nose at some Parisian architecture as you do. She asked if we were English and then explained she loved the English as she could remember being liberated by "your boys" during WW2, as the Nazis were pushed back to Germany. This was back in the early noughties. I have to say, this wasn't unique experience for France.

I'm sure our friends won't be offended by something they don't read DB.🙂

I was over in Normandy for the 60th anniversary of D-Day. The French don't hate us. There were beacon bonfires lit all along the coast. Our boys, that absolutely amazing generation were met by survivors of German occupation of France, renewing acquaintances sometimes for the first time in person since. There were tears shared between both nationalities and much love. Those memories are ones I will take to the grave. So many of that generation who often wouldn't speak of their experiences didn't need to then... you felt all of them. Though I guess that's a generational thing, and I suppose a lot of Europe have more modern memories of the English such as youngsters swarming to Mediterranean hot spots to get blind drunk and generally do everything that is not culturally the norm or acceptable in those locations whilst they're there... 

Edited by chicken
  • Thanks 1

There does seem much more of a general undercurrent of entitled wankiness all over the place these days, but I’ve found there’s plenty of decent folk in London, probably the same proportion of gits as elsewhere but there’s just so many people everywhere you’ll encounter them more.

On 15/12/2022 at 00:30, Danke bitte said:

I live in Ldn now and I always cringe when I read the whole anti Ldn rhetoric on here.

What form does this criticism take?

Living in London would be my idea of a nightmare, can go there for a day or two for an event or touristy things, but could never live in an overcrowded and polluted crime ridden hell whole and I like wildlife. 

Does that make me anti-London? 

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What form does this criticism take?

Living in London would be my idea of a nightmare, can go there for a day or two for an event or touristy things, but could never live in an overcrowded and polluted crime ridden hell whole and I like wildlife. 

Does that make me anti-London? 

Sounds to me that you got off the train one too many times at Shattered Dreams Parkway 😉

Just switched on for the 3rd place play off. Jurgen Klinsmann is sitting between Alex Scott and Micah Richards desperately trying to look remotely interested in the rubbish they are talking. 

He did his best. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Just switched on for the 3rd place play off. Jurgen Klinsmann is sitting between Alex Scott and Micah Richards desperately trying to look remotely interested in the rubbish they are talking. 

He did his best. 

Isn’t it just?, especially when Alex Scott was barrel-scraping over her bronze medal from 2015.

Jurgen is the only one with any sense on that team and I won’t miss the way it’s been presented on TV over here. I’ve been watching a Dutch streamed channel on TVmob on my fire stick and they use all the official FIFA opening titles and graphics, none of this in-house tripe ITV came up with being hot air balloons and shells.

Its been a good tournament with so many brilliant moments, but the way England threw it away, the nature of Qatar as a country and that annoying oversized trophy in the centre circle before every game has ruined it.

3 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Sounds to me that you got off the train one too many times at Shattered Dreams Parkway 😉

No, I just hate smelling body odour on cramped tube trains and having to clear the nostrils of diesel residue after any time I decide to go for a wander. The place that I currently live is my dream place, where I've always aspired to live from young, never fancied London at all.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:08, SwearyCanary said:

Two sides to every story. What is Wout Weghorst doing or saying off camera for the few seconds Messi says nothing but is clearly looking his way? I don’t know but is there the chance he was provoked by a guy whose team just lost on pens after a pretty bad tempered game with lots of niggly tackles and cards? 

Not like Piers to make claims without showing balance or checking the full picture 🙄

Absolute leech of a human sucking people in too stupid to see he is walking clickbait. When Messi slaps the phone out of a fans hand I’ll start seeing him as much of a **** as CR, until then he is just a pretty standard **** footballer - aside from being incredible at the game 

Messi channelling his inner Maradona since he knows this is his last shot. No more Mr Nice Guy.

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

No, I just hate smelling body odour on cramped tube trains and having to clear the nostrils of diesel residue after any time I decide to go for a wander. The place that I currently live is my dream place, where I've always aspired to live from young, never fancied London at all.

Fair. I’ve grown up in Dereham, moved to Norwich then Ldn. And currently reside there. To each their own! The quote I made was from Partridge and not a dig at you mate, I get that Ldn isn’t for everyone. I miss Norfolk a lot but equally, for work, I can’t be back there. I’m sure I’ll end up returning at some point like the prodigal son. But more pressing matters await! Smith out… or Smith in… and thus we stand at a crossroads…