A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Where have I seen defending like that before ? 🤔 

Not Zimbo

Obs Hanley 

Tv just showed Messi’s stats of 789 goals in 1000 appearances.

Totally overrated. Less than a goal a game ratio, very one-footed, too short, doubt he’d get into our first 11

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Turned into a very good game, that. 

Yep, Aussies had a good go , a little more luck and might have snatched a draw. Well played.

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Good game, well played Aussies.

Can't put up with this BBC Messi love in any longer. Off switch.

They never saw Wes playing obviously. 

Cold shower needed for Rio.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Good game, well played Aussies.

Can't put up with this BBC Messi love in any longer. Off switch.

Aye, it was getting on my nerves all game. OTT fawning.

Well done to the Aussies.👏👏

30 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Yep, Aussies had a good go , a little more luck and might have snatched a draw. Well played.

Agreed - they put up a tremendous performance considering the difference in world rankings and football traditions of the two countries. Brave and lionhearted to the last kick (literally). Would have scored the goal of the tournament almost certainly had it not been for that fantastic last ditch block by the Argie defender.  

54 minutes ago, Herman said:

Aye, it was getting on my nerves all game. OTT fawning.

Well done to the Aussies.👏👏

At least it was kind-of deserved as Messi was very good.  It was the distinct opposite other day when itv were going on about Bale,

• Like 1

Will the ITV curse catch up with England tonight or will England step up and make it through?

Fair to say that statisficly England are the stronger team and lets be fair really should be able to get through but.. Since when have the results at this world cup made any sense so far?

56 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Will the ITV curse catch up with England tonight or will England step up and make it through?

Fair to say that statisficly England are the stronger team and lets be fair really should be able to get through but.. Since when have the results at this world cup made any sense so far?

That’s my concern - itv doesn’t have the best record as a lone tournament broadcaster for England.  
Senegal are a good side.  It’s a bit like a top 3 PL team (England) playing a lesser one…and we all know what Brentford did to Man City just before the break.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Haven’t got a wall chart, if all goes well are England  possibly playing at 3 next Sat ?

Nope, 1/4 final would be at 7pm next Saturday.

43 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Haven’t got a wall chart, if all goes well are England  possibly playing at 3 next Sat ?

After the Swansea game so could be a double celebration, or not.

16 hours ago, astro said:

At half time they are running on about how much of a magician he is to have scored that. To me, it looked like a hit and hope - nine times out of ten it would have been blocked. 

So lucky how often he passes the ball into the net through a melee of defenders!    You should enjoy the genius while he’s still playing!    Different grade to anything that’s gone before him!    Genuinely deserves all the credit they give him…. If you don’t agree you’ve missed an absolute treat this past 15 or so years!

Edited by ged in the onion bag

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

So lucky how often he passes the ball into the net through a melee of defenders!    You should enjoy the genius while he’s still playing!    Different grade to anything that’s gone before him!    Genuinely deserves all the credit they give him…. If you don’t agree you’ve missed an absolute treat this past 15 or so years!

I don’t deny he’s not extremely good, but that goal was luck, rather than magic. The commentators were creaming themselves because he made a couple of much-lesser standard opposition players sit down - such fawning waters down his more stellar moments, for me. 

My biggest problem with Messi is he's Argentinean. I can't help it, perhaps people of a certain age tend to hold that view more, but that's the case. If like Emi he'd played in green and yellow, or played in the Premier League, I'd see it differently. 

France are good but not unbeatable..yes Mbappe is a threat and of course we must play Walker up against him ...but we certaintly shouldnt be switching to 5 at the back to accomodate that, they dont warrant that

...all assuming we win tonight 

1 hour ago, astro said:

I don’t deny he’s not extremely good, but that goal was luck, rather than magic. The commentators were creaming themselves because he made a couple of much-lesser standard opposition players sit down - such fawning waters down his more stellar moments, for me. 

Its the pundits that spoil it for Messi. He is a modern day great. But when he does something ordinary, we don't need them creaming their grundies because he beat somebody. Its good but not exceptional. Australia were boring and robotic and take Mooy away and pretty poor but they nearly took it to extra time. So lets have it right. Messi brilliant performance but against a team who would consider themselves to have achieved more than they hoped by beating Denmark.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

France are good but not unbeatable..yes Mbappe is a threat and of course we must play Walker up against him ...but we certaintly shouldnt be switching to 5 at the back to accomodate that, they dont warrant that

Rumours are that Saka is back. For who we don't know. But if its Foden or Rashford then Southgate is a numpty. Just go out and let Senegal worry about us and stop trying to be clever.

10 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Rather surprised Mbabababababpe has not got the 'grealish treatment' and gets slide tackled studs up every time he gets on the ball to be honest.. Then again I don't think many can catch up with him to try and wipe him out in the first place