A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

Funny but this hairline Japanese goal kind of highlights why video technology has to be applied equally across all rules where as a few people earlier on the thread were moaning in regards to offside called by a hairline.

Waking up here to the news Germany have crashed out in the groups, just as I predicted after seeing them struggle to beat Oman! Sweet! 😎

8 hours ago, Justin time said:

Ok but where is the photo of midlands yellows appendage?😁

I thought that was what the arrow was pointing to.

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I cant wait for the Hitlers downfall 'Hitler reacts to Germany finishing bottom' video thats no doubt gonna come out

Well, yeah - particularly as they came third.

• Haha 1

Well, xG is certainly being ignored in this years World Cup, it's been insane!

Germany created more xG against Costa Rica last night (6.35) than 29 of the 32 teams have done in the whole tournament.

Germany have the highest xG this tournament of any side, but they're going home.

Haven’t won a game on xG

Second lowest xG created of any team at the World Cup  

Champions of Group F

Morocco are the anti-Brighton.

Romelu Lukaku accumulated more xG in the second half against Croatia (1.98) than Morocco did in the entire Group Stage (1.35).

Even more ununsual, The winner on xG has won only 15 out of 32 games at the World Cup so far (47%).

Of course, since then (that was Nov 29th) the winner on xG won the following 8 matches....xG is back! 😉

Can see Infantino say "we've had excellent sport here in Qatar" or words to that effect to describe some of the action we've seen, and use it as sportswashing.

1 hour ago, TheRock said:

How on earth did Japan lose to Costa Rica AND STILL win that group? 🇯🇵😂

To be fair they did underestimate Costa Rica and put out their B team so did rather deserve to lose to them for disrespecting them and not taking them seriously

On 01/12/2022 at 10:52, TheGunnShow said:

Tell you who it needed, but he was too old - David Batty.

Underrated player Batty.  He could play a bit as well. In 1998 we had him and the last knockings of Paul Ince - probably along with Hargreaves and Butt in 2002 the last two good CDM until the current crop - but by 2006 we were on to the Lampard - Gerrard conundrum with Hargreaves and to a lesser extent (in a defensive sense) Carrick occasionally popping in for a cameo. 

The way Sven used Hargreaves was particularly odd - he was only rarely played centrally which was always a mystery to me.  An excellent player (albeit on the rare times he was actually fit.)

By 2010 we were down to the criminally underused Carrick and Gareth Barry.  By 2014 a young Henderson seemingly the only defensively minded central midfielder.

For a team traditionally accused of prizing physicality over technique we've not really had that many top level midfield enforcers in years.

That said, who remembers lining up in a world cup semi final in a 5-3-2 with a midfield of Waddle, Platt and Gascoigne ?  Maybe we don't need defensive midfielders after all ... ?  🤔

1 hour ago, Barham Blitz said:

By 2010 we were down to the criminally underused Carrick and Gareth Barry.  By 2014 a young Henderson seemingly the only defensively minded central midfielder.

Carrick is one of those players that is somewhat divisive- to me he was a massively overrated player, a bit like Gilmour in that his weaknesses meant he needed a team built around him. Barry was less talented but better rounded. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Carrick is one of those players that is somewhat divisive- to me he was a massively overrated player, a bit like Gilmour in that his weaknesses meant he needed a team built around him. Barry was less talented but better rounded. 

I know what you mean, but he was one of those that I always felt was better suited to international football and could make a positive difference.  For all that I have always liked Barry as a player (although again as a CDM and not either a left midfielder or left back if you're reading this Sven (or was it McClaren ...?)) I always think back on the image of Peter Reid toiling in Maradonna's wake in '86 to remember that being effective in English club football doesn't necessarily translate to the world stage.

Carrick would have been way more suited to one of the pivots in a 4-2-3-1 than Sven's 4-4-2 though ...

Edited by Barham Blitz

41 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Vicki Sparks.....just terrible commentator

Is she the one on 5Live?😬

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

just give Brazil the world cup now

last 16....South Korea

quarter final ...Japan or Croatia

semi final....argentina,australia,holland,usa

Hope so I have them in the sweepstake 😀

Great finale to Suarez international career. To see him crying was marvellous. Terrific player in his day but a low form of human being.

And Ghana have some form of revenge by not conceding three and helping put them out.

It hasn’t been the greatest World Cup footballing wise, but it’s certainly thrown up some real shock results!

Which is next, Australia to beat Argentina or Senegal to beat England? 🤔

5 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

It hasn’t been the greatest World Cup footballing wise, but it’s certainly thrown up some real shock results!

Which is next, Australia to beat Argentina or Senegal to beat England? 🤔

hopefully Poland vs France....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Here's this year's Christmas card, right here:

Fi_RGeuXEAIOeJJ.png

For me there is no greater sight in world football than Suarez tears. 

• Like 6

just give Brazil the world cup now

last 16....South Korea

quarter final ...Japan or Croatia

semi final....argentina,australia,holland,usa

1 hour ago, city4eva said:

Hope so I have them in the sweepstake 😀

Holland have put them out before but it's set up for Korea v Japan grunge match

Edited by KiwiScot

1 hour ago, Pyro Pete said:

Here's this year's Christmas card, right here:

Fi_RGeuXEAIOeJJ.png

"EL DENTE"...."He Mucho Blubbo Boo Hoo!"....