A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Sort of agree but this looks like the best Iran have got. Page has got his calls massively wrong here, left his central midfield horribly imbalanced, and the Iranians have won that battle. Bringing Allen on is the right move, but Ramsey was the guy to take off, not Ampadu who's probably been their best player.

Wales haven't got a midfield. Bale, Ramsey, Allen etc are not or no longer, good enough. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Sort of agree but this looks like the best Iran have got. Page has got his calls massively wrong here, left his central midfield horribly imbalanced, and the Iranians have won that battle. Bringing Allen on is the right move, but Ramsey was the guy to take off, not Ampadu who's probably been their best player.

Iran aren't great but Wales are worse.

However, it does show that beating them comfortably by 4 goals isn't a given...

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Wales haven't got a midfield. Bale, Ramsey, Allen etc are not or no longer, good enough. 

Not fully fit, and certainly in the veteran stages of their careers, that's for sure. Wales needed a defensive midfielder even more than Norwich!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Iran aren't great but Wales are worse.

However, it does show that beating them comfortably by 4 goals isn't a given...

No-one said it is a given, but then we're both agreeing that Wales are playing badly and it's still level.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

No-one said it is a given, but then we're both agreeing that Wales are playing badly and it's still level.

Only due to Irans finishing. Nothing to do with Wales. Englands 6-2 win looking better by the minute watching this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You have to ask why the World Cup Finals have 32 teams? Greedy FIFA I suppose.

These teams need their own competition.

Sarcasm?

They've got Africa cup of nations,Asian Cup, Euros, Nations League etc

Only the best teams became the best teams from every part of the world and it's been 32 teams since France 1998. The next World Cup will have 48 teams btw with 3 team groups. Greed, but only because that is the way the game is now and through natural time I feel.

GOALLLLLLLL

1 minute ago, KiwiScot said:

Sarcasm?

They've got Africa cup of nations,Asian Cup, Euros, Nations League etc

Only the best teams became the best teams from every part of the world and it's been 32 teams since France 1998. The next World Cup will have 48 teams btw with 3 team groups. Greed, but only because that is the way the game is now and through natural time I feel.

GOALLLLLLLL

We have promotion and relegation in the Nations League. The same could apply to the WC.

Wales are like the pub team with one utterly brilliant player. Iran making them look really poor.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Only due to Irans finishing. Nothing to do with Wales. Englands 6-2 win looking better by the minute watching this.

Exactly. Especially when you also look at Argentina and Germany falling to teams they'd be expected to comfortably beat. 

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You have to ask why the World Cup Finals have 32 teams? Greedy FIFA I suppose.

These teams need their own competition.

Dunno, otherwise you wouldn't have the Saudis shocking Argentina. 32's fine - it just makes it nice and easy with eight groups. Top two through, straight KO after that.

48 would be stupid.

Well deserved that for Iran, albeit not happy with theor regime. But it gives more power to the team with their previous political statements. Let's hope it does psme good in Iran.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Exactly. Especially when you also look at Argentina and Germany falling to teams they'd be expected to comfortably beat. 

Iran now deservedly win. Fair play to them, they've looked much the better, more inventive and creative side.

So, in the last few days social media has been buzzing with Wales fans going on about how strong they are how they are gonna batter Iran, finish top of the group, smash us/England and even the Wales players have been going on about how strong they are and how they 'cant wait to beat England!' which is all very odd beacause right now a lot of them seem oddly silent?

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Also, if England win tonight then Iran v US is going to be fascinating. 

Good point, looking forward to tonight too, sensible kick off time!

I didn't think i'd get into this WC with the timing, all the background around the corruption etc. Didn't dare say it out loud because I kind of knew i'd get sucked in and I have been.

Also, whilst it has no impact on all the serious issue in that country and part of the world, someone I know out there has said they've been really well looked after and the no-alcohol in stadiums has created a much more friendly atmosphere between nations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Wales 2nd best all over the pitch. I mean where was Bale?

Worst welsh performance for years. Tactically inept.

Yep, the bit in bold is everything. A fragile Iran side were made to look good by a Wales manager who panicked and gave them the initiative. Better team won on the night without a doubt. Queiroz got his tactics spot on, Page completely lost it with the second-half substitutions.

Can't wait to see how he feels now he's lost to Iran. Wonder if he cares? After all he is just like many Wales players born in England, speaks with an English accent, has only ever lived in England, plays his football in England.. Should I go on?

wales.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The scary thing is that win was without arguably the best player on current form…..Foden! 😉😘

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

We have promotion and relegation in the Nations League. The same could apply to the WC.

I think that would help weaker teams get in on a regular basis. I'd rather have Wales qualify as they had a good team and got the results rather than they were the best of weaker teams. The Expansion to 48 teams(+the nations league) will help ensure stronger well known nationals like Italy don't miss out while letting a bit more weaker teams in in the name of inclusivity. Yes non-european teams might not be the best, but you either have them or you have the Euro's twice and include Brazil into one of them.