A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Someone should tell the Lino about the offside rule not applying if the pass is from the defending team….

That was poor, was expecting a VAR check, looked like a pen immediately after the offside

Hoillett being Hoillett as usual. He used to scare me shirtless when he played us, but he's turned out to be easy to defend against as you just show him outside or restrict him to shots on the flanks of the area. Don't let him cut inside.

Haven't the faintest what De Bruyne was doing there though, great run but he had a player unmarked on his right so plays it left! Belgium badly need a wake up call.

Edited by shefcanary

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Is the guy Kone (no15 who’s on the bench) the lad we were linked with? 

Yes. We apparently agreed terms with his club but not with the player and the inference was that we then moved on to Nunez.  As I recall it, Kone was supposed to be a more combative/physical player.  Will certainly be interesting to see him - there was a suggestion that he was reluctant to move last summer in the hope that he'd impress at the World Cup and get a better offer from a bigger team.

That golden age of Belgium football seems to be going a bit silver. They are shocking.

Hoof!

Edited by Capt. Pants

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

That golden age of Belgium football seems to be going a bit silver. They are shocking.

Have they been drugged? They are shocking...

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Have they been drugged? They are shocking...

Pretty awful so far - but you know the quality is still there if currently hidden.

If Canada win and their jubilant support have a pitch invasion to celebrate the victory....will they then be Banff for life?....

The more games/results I see in this World Cup, the better Englands first result looks.

1 hour ago, Rottingdean canary said:

Yes. We apparently agreed terms with his club but not with the player and the inference was that we then moved on to Nunez.  As I recall it, Kone was supposed to be a more combative/physical player.  Will certainly be interesting to see him - there was a suggestion that he was reluctant to move last summer in the hope that he'd impress at the World Cup and get a better offer from a bigger team.

He certainly looked like the sort of defensive midfielder most of us would have liked to see us sign.  He wasn't outstanding but reasonably competent in that role - people with more expertise than me might like to say what they thought.  If he doesn't shine and get a bigger move then perhaps we might re-visit our earlier bid - probably Webber wouldn't do that after we've been turned down once.

2 hours ago, Rottingdean canary said:

It's a shame it didn't come off

I think we could have elevated his career, and that he would have brought a big lift to the squad 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Argies yesterday, Germans today.....just missing Scotland getting beaten by the Vatican City for a full set !!

Told everyone on here the Germans were poor when I watched them Labour to a narrow win over Oman, but many said no they come good in tournaments 🤣🤣🤣

17 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Told everyone on here the Germans were poor when I watched them Labour to a narrow win over Oman, but many said no they come good in tournaments 🤣🤣🤣

We can chortle at these anomalies but Italy won the World Cup despite not winning a group game and Argentina made a Final after losing to a fairly unknown Cameroon in the opening game.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

We can chortle at these anomalies but Italy won the World Cup despite not winning a group game and Argentina made a Final after losing to a fairly unknown Cameroon in the opening game.

They always seem to get better as tournaments progress but France and Spain both looked very good. And we have Brazil to look forward to later 😊

On 19/11/2022 at 12:29, cambridgeshire canary said:

The result of.. MATH. And it seems simulating matches more than a thousand times. France v Belguim in a semi final would be spicy but I'm too sure about them winning even if Fance are not as strong as they were

nkzsy0mh6w0a1.png

Just bumping this down so you can see how the luck of the draw may impact. Spain and Brazil are in the same half, possibly with Argentina. Swap Mexico with the Argies and we could have France v Argies in the Round of 16. I may be reading this wrong of course.