A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Would rather an hour of preaching from Doha than an hour of listening to Micah Richards talk about football to be fair.

The guy can't talk about anything for more than two seconds without bursting into laughter, constantly looks like he's suppressing a grin whatever the subject.

Don't think he'd do well at a funeral.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

They still won the Asian cup, which Saudi also took part in.

Well, happy to be shown otherwise but in the performance v England they were appalling (despite the 'perfect', 'breathtaking' display we put in) 🙄

14 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Well you got the second one absolutely wrong. That also puts in perspective England’s result yesterday. Saudi we’re far lower ranked than Iran, yet some on here seemed to think England had to just turn up to seep teams like Iran away.

Didn't get it wrong, I merely hoped it would happen but unfortunately, it didn't this time around. Not to mention, the rankings are rough at the very best. Anyone could see that Iran were not close to being the 20th best team in the world, and their ranking hasn't exactly changed that much over the last six years.

12 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Still think Maradona’s second was an own goal, watch it back in slow motion on a large screen and an English boot touches it last.

It was going in anyway though. Think it would only be considered an own goal if the defending player knocked it on course to go into the goal.

25 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’m going to get a lot of stick for this but here goes! Qatar should never have been awarded this tournament and it was alleged corruption that got them this tournament, no doubt, Is anyone else getting a little fed up with everyone on the TV focusing on political agendas rather than just accepting that it’s the host countries right to make its laws, we don’t have to like it, but who are we to say how they should be living? My standards and way of life say they’re wrong, my belief is it’s wrong but I fully respect the laws and culture of Qatar and if we don’t like it then don’t go, boycott the World Cup, no one forced the TV companies to send their high paid pundits to go!

We were all aware of what was coming and as I say I believe their culture is wrong in its archaic beliefs but I fully respect the laws of their land.

Can we move on from this constant need to be political and just focus on the World Cup and the game of football.

Agree with a lot of this, but the bit in bold - never in a million years. I will not respect laws and culture based on what is basically bovine excrement. As you said yourself, correctly, the beliefs in some matters are absolutely archaic. I do agree that I would not go there at all (indeed I refuse to consider travelling to Dubai, Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc. for exactly the same reasons), but if they're going to host the world, then they'd better get used to the world critiquing their beliefs.

Strong, sensible beliefs can withstand tough analysis. Theirs on women's rights and LGBTQ clearly cannot and should be cast into the open for discussion and indeed ridicule at every opportunity. And using sports as a means of legitimising regimes is an old one. World Cup 1934 and indeed the Berlin Olympics are two fine inter-war examples.

As Bill Maher beautifully put it when he exposed the clueless Milo Yiannopoulos, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

45 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Didn't get it wrong, I merely hoped it would happen but unfortunately, it didn't this time around. Not to mention, the rankings are rough at the very best. Anyone could see that Iran were not close to being the 20th best team in the world, and their ranking hasn't exactly changed that much over the last six years.

It was going in anyway though. Think it would only be considered an own goal if the defending player knocked it on course to go into the goal.

Agree with a lot of this, but the bit in bold - never in a million years. I will not respect laws and culture based on what is basically bovine excrement. As you said yourself, correctly, the beliefs in some matters are absolutely archaic. I do agree that I would not go there at all (indeed I refuse to consider travelling to Dubai, Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc. for exactly the same reasons), but if they're going to host the world, then they'd better get used to the world critiquing their beliefs.

Strong, sensible beliefs can withstand tough analysis. Theirs on women's rights and LGBTQ clearly cannot and should be cast into the open for discussion and indeed ridicule at every opportunity. And using sports as a means of legitimising regimes is an old one. World Cup 1934 and indeed the Berlin Olympics are two fine inter-war examples.

As Bill Maher beautifully put it when he exposed the clueless Milo Yiannopoulos, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

I get that, but it’s the law of Qatar and should be respected. Like you my work has lead me to projects in the Middle East which I’ve respectfully declined. It’s not for me to travel there. But that’s my point we know and we can choose not to go. Regardless of what we think we should respect their laws, the same as anyone coming here need to respect ours.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Would rather an hour of preaching from Doha than an hour of listening to Micah Richards talk about football to be fair.

That's a tough call mate............it's a close-run thing imho 😯

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Can we move on from this constant need to be political and just focus on the World Cup and the game of football.

I think FIFA are such a bunch of corrupt scumbags it's only right to keep the pressure on. They need to realise that handing the World Cup to this lot was an appalling decision

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

I get that, but it’s the law of Qatar and should be respected. Like you my work has lead me to projects in the Middle East which I’ve respectfully declined. It’s not for me to travel there. But that’s my point we know and we can choose not to go. Regardless of what we think we should respect their laws, the same as anyone coming here need to respect ours.

Their laws re. LGBTQ are utterly moronic (as is Russia and indeed Florida with the "say no gay" law in sex education) so no, I respectfully, but completely disagree but will note the caveat that I agree in that it's not for me to travel there. But we can certainly keep pointing out how bone-headed that nonsense is.

The comment "but they should obey our laws", when used here, appears to be used for cases which are probably legally punishable anywhere and everywhere in the world. Theft, paedophilia, fraud, arson, drug dealing, illegal immigration laws etc. tend to be when we in the UK invoke this as a line. You'd end up in legal crap doing that in Qatar as well, in all likelihood. IMO, they're not the same. Especially when the laws involve the human rights of others being denigrated.

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I think FIFA are such a bunch of corrupt scumbags it's only right to keep the pressure on. They need to realise that handing the World Cup to this lot was an appalling decision

Nailed it.

1 minute ago, Richard Richard said:

Mexico v Poland. 90+ mins of my life I'm never getting back 😴😴😴😴

To be fair this had a pre-match look of only being welcomed by insomniacs.

Hope your 90 mins wasn't entirely wasted and you managed some shut-eye.

Even as a poland fan, I was bored to tears by that. Lewandowski had to score that penalty. It does set the group up nicely but not quite sure why Poland played that industrial **** instead of their normal game. Swiderski should have been on the pitch. Lewa is totally ineffective without a strike partner.

Edited by kick it off

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63710986

Article on why there is so much injury time. Improved monitoring of wasted time after 2018. Part of drive to ensure there is actually 90mins of football and no wasted time.

I think it's a good thing.  I noticed in the Arg v Saudi game there was a long stoppage in injury time when a Saudi player was injured (it looked legit, a nasty collision) and the ref added another 5 mins or so to the initial 8 minutes, which has to be right.

Had to turn BBC off until KO

some mug talking about witch doctors and black magic

Relevant? Errr nope - Beeb at its absolute best. Trust Alex Scott in the 6 Star hotel on the Waterfront 🙄

45 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I think it's a good thing.  I noticed in the Arg v Saudi game there was a long stoppage in injury time when a Saudi player was injured (it looked legit, a nasty collision) and the ref added another 5 mins or so to the initial 8 minutes, which has to be right.

That will be when Sam Matterface said the Saudi’s were using every trick in the book 🙄