A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

I'll be hoping Senegal and the Netherlands absolutely humiliate Qatar. And if the Saudis get splattered that would also be bloody funny. Something like a 5-0 that Russia stuck on them in 2018 would be nice.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Gonna watch as many games as I can....Great to see that Wales are the media darlings....they singalot an' are passionate and have had 64 years of hurt....

Argentina v Saudi Arabia....Messi will put them to the Saud....

That penalty decision to Argentina (when you compare it to the Maguire incident yesterday) confirms to me that FIFA have decreed it is, Messi's World Cup 2022! Pile on now people!

Looking at the attendance figures and how they don't stack up with stadium capacity has reminded me of these classic pieces of comedy.

• Haha 1

I don't have a problem with the commentary having a certain bias in favour of the home nations.  It did get a bit silly about Bale when he scored the penalty, made me cringe rather. TBF they did say at one point in the first half that Wales couldn't possibly play any worse, which was a fair assessment and also pointed to the possibility of them doing better in the 2nd half, as indeed they did.

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

I don't have a problem with the commentary having a certain bias in favour of the home nations.  It did get a bit silly about Bale when he scored the penalty, made me cringe rather. TBF they did say at one point in the first half that Wales couldn't possibly play any worse, which was a fair assessment and also pointed to the possibility of them doing better in the 2nd half, as indeed they did.

Tyldesley's commentry was cringeworthy and I had to turn it off for a moment (but then you lost the atmosphere) and I wanted the 'home nation' to win. I have no affinity to US teams of whatever sport. Yet I wanted Sarge to shine. 

Wales couldn't have played a worse 45 minutes and I did think the substitution was inspired because they changed their whole approach just by that one change! They were outfought in the middle so decided to adapt. 

I think they just look for heroes to hang on to. This is the end of the line internationally for Bale so I'm trying to enjoy it. His legs had gone at the end but there was a clip of him shouting "I know it's hard but you've got to keep going" to one of his colleagues.

He has done enough damage even to us in his time. He is a quiet sort, unusual for such a 'star' and has little ego. That warms me more to him. 

The England match should be interesting because it will be a different dynamic. Iran/Wales I expect to be tasty.

Hoping both England and Wales get through.

• Like 1

Also did anyone notice a comment about one of the Wales players (I think it was Wales not USA) who plays for Portsmouth and the commentator said "and he could have been playing at Ipswich" just noticed Portsmouth are playing at the scum this evening in the EFL trophy.  I liked that the commentator found it amusing.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Tyldesley's commentry was cringeworthy and I had to turn it off for a moment (but then you lost the atmosphere) and I wanted the 'home nation' to win. I have no affinity to US teams of whatever sport. Yet I wanted Sarge to shine. 

Wales couldn't have played a worse 45 minutes and I did think the substitution was inspired because they changed their whole approach just by that one change! They were outfought in the middle so decided to adapt. 

I think they just look for heroes to hang on to. This is the end of the line internationally for Bale so I'm trying to enjoy it. His legs had gone at the end but there was a clip of him shouting "I know it's hard but you've got to keep going" to one of his colleagues.

He has done enough damage even to us in his time. He is a quiet sort, unusual for such a 'star' and has little ego. That warms me more to him. 

The England match should be interesting because it will be a different dynamic. Iran/Wales I expect to be tasty.

Hoping both England and Wales get through.

Fair comments.   I also hoped Sergeant would shine but in the event he was kept pretty quiet by the Wales defence, which shows that playing him as a central striker won't be a panacea.  He did play a role in the goal by a clever pass with his chest, and had that effort at the near post but that was about it.

• Like 2

I wasn’t watching but I’m taking a break from work to watch the rest of this. I’m never keen on Argentina , it will be amusing if they can’t rescue this but realistically they probably will.

also puts yesterday’s win by England in perspective.

• Like 2

Good team performance by the underdogs, reminds me of the old FA cup days when the minnows beat the giants!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Crap. Was hoping another Stone Age country would get pasted. Never mind.

They just did? **** Argentina and their dead coke snorting "hero" cheat, **** their fomer facist dictator who illegaly invaded another country and **** Messi for diving against Saudi arabia like a pathetic cheat.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

They just did? **** Argentina and their dead coke snorting "hero" cheat, **** their fomer facist dictator who illegaly invaded another country and **** Messi for diving against Saudi arabia like a pathetic cheat.

OK, let's play a nice game of Spot The Stone-Age Sh*thole.

Pretty sure that was when Argentina was under a military junta over 40 years ago. Some corruption issues nowadays, but they've made a heck of a lot of progress since that junta got chucked.
Argentina: Freedom in the World 2021 Country Report | Freedom House

As opposed to the Khashoggi case and LGBTQ issues in Saudi Arabia right now - which are just the tips of the iceberg.
Saudi Arabia: Freedom in the World 2022 Country Report | Freedom House

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

Saudi Arabia to win the World Cup as it's been written. That the winning country gets all the Budweiser that they cannot sell in Qatar.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

That penalty decision to Argentina (when you compare it to the Maguire incident yesterday) confirms to me that FIFA have decreed it is, Messi's World Cup 2022! Pile on now people!

Saudi's definitely haven't read the script, probably more like re-written it with their leader visiting Infantino with a shedload of gold!

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

OK, let's play a nice game of Spot The Stone-Age Sh*thole.

Pretty sure that was when Argentina was under a military junta over 40 years ago. Some corruption issues nowadays, but they've made a heck of a lot of progress since that junta got chucked.
Argentina: Freedom in the World 2021 Country Report | Freedom House

As opposed to the Khashoggi case and LGBTQ issues in Saudi Arabia right now - which are just the tips of the iceberg.
Saudi Arabia: Freedom in the World 2022 Country Report | Freedom House

F*ck 'em...still bitter over Maradona's handball ..and always will be

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

F*ck 'em...still bitter over Maradona's handball ..and always will be

Just like Michael Owen's blatant dive against them later on?

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Just like Michael Owen's blatant dive against them later on?

Chuck in Simeone's theatrics and a prefectly good goal by Sol Campbell ruled out in '98....and we still owe them

F*ck 'em

• Like 2