A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

..the first two bits of that could be any Norwich home game in recent seasons!

Aye, but we've not lashed out oodles of wallet-sized queenies to host a world tournament whilst having a very shaky (Shakey) human rights record.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The offside wasn't given for the ball into the box, it was given for when the ball connected with the player's head in the image I posted. 

For what it's worth, I agree with the point you're making there about it being inconclusive due to the impossibility of pinpointing the correct frame, but I disagree completely with the notion that there are two Qatari players beyond the foot of the offside Ecuadorian.

It was the player near the keeper who connected with his head who was called offside and not Valencia who scored, so surely the offside needs to be measure from the ball to him instead of the point when he heads it? 

Regardless Qatar where crap and lost so happy days. 

BBC reporting on the fans leaving is a good thing. They’re not shy to stick the boot in. Shearer looked almost pissed off at how few touches Qatar had in the box 😂

Thinking about, they’re not there to see the Qatari team. They could give a flying f*ck. They’re there to see Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe etc etc. 

1 minute ago, SwearyCanary said:

BBC reporting on the fans leaving is a good thing. They’re not shy to stick the boot in. Shearer looked almost pissed off at how few touches Qatar had in the box 😂

Our media is in a tricky position, as Lineker said, they need to be seen to be there as reporters rather than supporters of the tournament - or words to that effect.

8 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

It was the player near the keeper who connected with his head who was called offside and not Valencia who scored, so surely the offside needs to be measure from the ball to him instead of the point when he heads it? 

Regardless Qatar where crap and lost so happy days. 

The goalkeeper punched the ball onto an Ecuadorian player's head. The next touch was also a header (intentional, this time) by an Ecuador player and he was the one who was offside.

As dodgy as it looked at the time, it does appear that with the evidence in front of us, it was (probably) the right decision. It's one that would never be spotted with the naked eye, but when you break it down forensically, it looks like the correct decision was reached, as per the laws of the game.

I’m not sure they’re finding it too hard to hide any support for tournament. I’m glad Southgate is taking England to this World Cup, because I’d actually be disappointed if we had a chance of this being the one we eventually might win since 66 

20 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The goalkeeper punched the ball onto an Ecuadorian player's head. The next touch was also a header (intentional, this time) by an Ecuador player and he was the one who was offside.

As dodgy as it looked at the time, it does appear that with the evidence in front of us, it was (probably) the right decision. It's one that would never be spotted with the naked eye, but when you break it down forensically, it looks like the correct decision was reached, as per the laws of the game.

Yup.  Fwiw I’d prefer those be given as a goal, with Wenger’s suggested ‘leeway zone’ but it was definitely offside per the laws of the game…isn’t var in part there to see things we’d otherwise miss?  That Shearer can’t see it is really more down to him being a thick tw*t than anything.
What surprises me is the number of people on here who can’t see something that is clear, and would rather ridicule those who can.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Love the fact the beeb have pointed out the rubbish fans 🤣

Dublin was complementary of the totally not paid off 'ultras' section. 

Thought both teams were haphazard and clumsy but Qatar a whole new level of poor.

Anyway, looking forward to the England matches. Particularly the USA one which we can actually go watch down the pub after work!

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Thought both teams were haphazard and clumsy but Qatar a whole new level of poor.

Anyway, looking forward to the England matches. Particularly the USA one which we can actually go watch down the pub after work!

I’ve not looked at it closely, but think England would play a side from this group in the second stage…not sure if Ecuador wound have enough to worry us unduly if it were them?

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’ve not looked at it closely, but think England would play a side from this group in the second stage…not sure if Ecuador wound have enough to worry us unduly if it were them?

No, quite athletic but technically pretty poor. 

Although the human rights issues are taking centre stage, they are also issues for Governments to act on.

I find the corruption of FiFA the most appalling for this tournament. Proven bribes taken to award it to a country who simply don't deserve it. £220BN. A country of 200,000. 12 teams in their league. And many of the stadiums are being demolished after the tournament.

Now the idiot Joe Lycett has shred £10K in cash to object to Beckham's endorsement of the tournament. What a prrrick!

Its going to be as rubbish off the pitch as on it.

Edited by keelansgrandad

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Now the idiot Joe Lycett has shred £10K in cash to object to Beckham's endorsement of the tournament. What a prrrick!

Why's he doing that? Mind you he's an idiot for more reasons than shredding 10 grand. 

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Why's he doing that? Mind you he's an idiot for more reasons than shredding 10 grand. 

He challenged Beckham to pull out of his £m deal to promote Qatar, or he’d shred £10k of his own that would otherwise go to charity.   No idea if Beckham was even aware of it.

Hopefully he did a sleight of hand rather than shred the money, as it would be a twatty thing to do. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Lycett has shred £10K in cash to object to Beckham's endorsement of the tournament. What a prrrick!

Lycett is a tool. He could have put that £10k to better use than a publicity stunt. Not everyone appears convinced he actually shreaded it though.

16 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

He challenged Beckham to pull out of his £m deal to promote Qatar, or he’d shred £10k of his own that would otherwise go to charity.   No idea if Beckham was even aware of it.

Hopefully he did a sleight of hand rather than shred the money, as it would be a twatty thing to do. 

Rather idiotic thing to do, surely Beckham can just donate 10 grand himself if he's aware of it and force Lycett to waste 10K? I suspect Lycet will miss 10 grand more than Beckham 

Of course they don't want it politicised. So why did Infantino make his bizarre political statement.

This tournament is going to get messy. Kane must wear the armband if he wants to. If he is booked then next match they should all wear one.

Found this an interesting tweet...

I'm not in London but this definitely rings true elsewhere. Normally during a World Cup you can't move for promotional tie-ins, flags, pubs vying for your custom but this year it is like it isn't happening.

Definitely the most low-key WCup I ever recall, even for the ones we weren’t at…certainly as far as England is concerned.  I imagine the opposite is the case in Wales. 

23 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Definitely the most low-key WCup I ever recall, even for the ones we weren’t at…certainly as far as England is concerned.  I imagine the opposite is the case in Wales. 

Especially with the Rugby team not doing very well.

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Of course they don't want it politicised. So why did Infantino make his bizarre political statement.

This tournament is going to get messy. Kane must wear the armband if he wants to. If he is booked then next match they should all wear one.

The FA, Southgate and Kane have all backed down. So much for principles. Perhaps Harry will go it alone and still wear the armband. I would admire him if he did but of course he was only going to wear the armband with the 'encouragement' of the FA and Southgate. Never mind, they're still going to take the knee. That will at least make them feel a little virtuous. My opinion, for what it's worth, is this : if the FA and Southgate do possess genuine principles, they should show support for and solidarity with women in Iran and refuse to play Iran. Women and their supporters in Iran are being brutalised, 'disappeared' and executed RIGHT NOW,  but apparenty that's not important enough to warrant any form of protest at all.

The truth is that we should never have had any involvement in the Qatar world cup but that would have demanded too much integrity and principle from the FA

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Erraticus said:

The FA, Southgate and Kane have all backed down. So much for principles. Perhaps Harry will go it alone and still wear the armband. I would admire him if he did but of course he was only going to wear the armband with the 'encouragement' of the FA and Southgate. Never mind, they're still going to take the knee. That will at least make them feel a little virtuous. My opinion, for what it's worth, is this : if the FA and Southgate do possess genuine principles, they should show support for and solidarity with women in Iran and refuse to play Iran. Women and their supporters in Iran are being brutalised, 'disappeared' and executed RIGHT NOW,  but apparenty that's not important enough to warrant any form of protest at all.

The truth is that we should never have had any involvement in the Qatar world cup but that would have demanded too much integrity and principle from the FA

Fact is, certainly for internationals, the players donate their match fee to charity. Might be slightly different for tournaments but  I doubt it, they are still getting their club wages. So they won't lose out financially by being there or not being there.

The Government now has the perfect opportunity to instigate real change at the FA; the inability to negotiate and / or have any influence at FIFA whatsoever demonstrates how far the FA has fallen in reputational terms. Spineless.

• Like 1