A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

20 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've decided to ignore the appalling choice of venue and just try to enjoy it. 

In fairness, that's pretty much what FIFA have done.

10 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Lycett does it again.

Saddest thing about Beckham for me is that despite the fact that's never short of deals, marketing and seemingly endless money making contrracts and is worth over £400 million and clearly has enough money to just retire and spend the rest of his life not doing anything all while never having to worry about bills he would much rather suck off the murdering and slave owning dark ages style qatar goverment just to add a little bit of exta cash to his pocket that he rather obviously does not even need in the first place..

Rather reminds me of Musk who again is someone who has enough money to retire and never again work a single day and never has to worry about bills and who quite frankly has enough  obscene wealth that he could choose to do pretty much anything he wants to do at any time yet it seems he would rather make money crashing and burning twitter and all beacause he finds it funny

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Guardian just dropped an interesting guide featuring profiles on all players. Here's Josh

"Once considered the next great hope of the US striker pool, Sergant sat out almost all of the qualifyiing campaign after a pair of relegations and struggles on the European stage. Played his way back into Berhalter's squad for Qatar on the strength of a nine-goal start to the season with Norwich City that has put him in contention for the golden boot in England's second division. A well-rounded No 9 who could challenge Jesús Ferreira for a starting role, the St Louis native has played out wide for the Canaries but thrived in the middle."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/nov/16/world-cup-2022-player-profiles-qatar-match-ratings

• Like 2

I’m off to check out Germany in their final friendly here in Oman in an hour or so.

I have a feeling they could do well in Qatar, but not convinced they can win it but maybe they will change my mind this evening

On 13/11/2022 at 03:13, chicken said:

I never thought this was anything but corruption. It had to be. why would they want a world cup in the middle of European seasons? Why would they play in heat that a lot of medical staff involved in football are concerned about? In a nation which is unlikely to see much use of it's football stadiums in the same way in the future?

Absolutely ridiculous, especially when you consider for such a relatively small country, it wasn't part of a joint bid with any others around it.

I don't have the same feelings around international football that I once did back in '94, '96, '98, 2000 and even 2002. It seems to me that in England at least, we have drilled a lot of what was once called "flair" out of players. Athletes but none like Beckham, Gazza, Sheringham, Scholes or Shearer who all were passionate and could pull something out of nothing who could pull a bit of magic out of nowhere... but then I guess perhaps that's normal?

There is a very good docu series on Netflix called inside FIFA which exposes just how the Qataris bought the World Cup and about the corruption inside FIFA in general. I’d highly recommend it to all football fans

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Once considered the next great hope of the US striker pool, Sergant sat out almost all of the qualifyiing campaign after a pair of relegations and struggles on the European stage.

They confused him with a meerkat selling car insurance?!  That spelling is awful.

49 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

I’m off to check out Germany in their final friendly here in Oman in an hour or so.

I have a feeling they could do well in Qatar, but not convinced they can win it but maybe they will change my mind this evening

Don't think so and this is coming from a Germanophile. They look a bit short down the middle of the park as aging players go past their peak (Neuer, Götze, Müller and Gündogan) and Gosens, who was arguably their best player in the Euros, hasn't made the squad.

They could do well if the youngsters catch fire and the elder heads maintain the pace, but I think it might be a WC too early, especially for the likes of Bella-Kotschap, Adeyemi and Moukoko. That group match with Spain will tell us all we need to know, I think.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I think it'll be a South American winner this time in the heat. If not, then Spain.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Surprised no-one has posted this video of Josh, released today by the USMNT.

Edited by Pyro Pete
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Don't think so and this is coming from a Germanophile. They look a bit short down the middle of the park as aging players go past their peak (Neuer, Götze, Müller and Gündogan) and Gosens, who was arguably their best player in the Euros, hasn't made the squad.

They could do well if the youngsters catch fire and the elder heads maintain the pace, but I think it might be a WC too early, especially for the likes of Bella-Kotschap, Adeyemi and Moukoko. That group match with Spain will tell us all we need to know, I think.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I think it'll be a South American winner this time in the heat. If not, then Spain.

After what I saw tonight I don’t think Germany will do too much. The match finished 1-0 to Germany but Oman played so well, every player in the Oman team put his body on the line for his country and the nation should be rightly proud of the valiant effort keeping Germany at bay for 79 minutes, and indeed could have scored before that themselves with a little more composure.

I also witnessed a nations fans who gave their team so much support, the atmosphere in the stadium was fantastic, even had a drummer lol!

Mind you the organisation getting in was atrocious 🙈

But, I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed my night watching a good game of football 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

After what I saw tonight I don’t think Germany will do too much. The match finished 1-0 to Germany but Oman played so well, every player in the Oman team put his body on the line for his country and the nation should be rightly proud of the valiant effort keeping Germany at bay for 79 minutes, and indeed could have scored before that themselves with a little more composure.

I also witnessed a nations fans who gave their team so much support, the atmosphere in the stadium was fantastic, even had a drummer lol!

Mind you the organisation getting in was atrocious 🙈

But, I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed my night watching a good game of football 😊

The German football expert on 5 Live a couple of days ago said that it was impossible to say how they will perform. He thought that historically they improve as the World Cup progresses but conceded they may not even get out of the group. I always worry when the Germans play down their chances 😂

It pointless and maybe self indulgent but I’m boycotting the tournament completely. Mainly because I think sport should be more political. 

Mane out of the world cup needing surgery on his leg. Makes Qatar and Ecuadors chances of 2nd place greater.

Ahh this is amazing. One of the largest FIFA sponsors Budweiser left in the sh*r by Qatar’s last minute decision reversal not to allow alcohol sales at games. 

This is what’s more likely to hurt FIFA more if the people paying them billions get burned. Hope the bribes were worth it.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/qatar-world-cup-beer-could-be-banned-from-all-stadiums-12750052

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/11/2022 at 17:38, Pyro Pete said:

Surprised no-one has posted this video of Josh, released today by the USMNT.

Where was NCFC on his list of things that mean everything to him??? 😡

We want 100%!!! 

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Hopefully he gets a refund from the Witch Doctor he hired to heal his injury.

Germany will win it. Masiala will be the player of the tournament. 

Massiala is probably going to be one of the top 5 players in the world. And annoyingly he qualified to play for England. As of course did Haaland. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

We want 100%!!! 

Now now, you know we're always delighted with 90 👍

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

We want 100%!!! 

"It WAS my dream to go to Euope.. Up's and downs'

Yup, he's being sold at the next window. He gone.

3 hours ago, WD40 said:

Ahh this is amazing. One of the largest FIFA sponsors Budweiser left in the sh*r by Qatar’s last minute decision reversal not to allow alcohol sales at games. 

This is what’s more likely to hurt FIFA more if the people paying them billions get burned. Hope the bribes were worth it.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/qatar-world-cup-beer-could-be-banned-from-all-stadiums-12750052

Easily dealt with by some compensation to Bud. On the positive side it always was no beer for sale anyway, but now you won't be able to get Bud either.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Easily dealt with by some compensation to Bud. On the positive side it always was no beer for sale anyway, but now you won't be able to get Bud either.

Was going to say - you can still drink water in the stadiums so Bud is fine.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Hopefully he gets a refund from the Witch Doctor he hired to heal his injury.

Germany will win it. Masiala will be the player of the tournament. 

Germany win it? Not a chance on what I saw here in Oman on Wednesday night!

Potentially one of the most open tournaments in years but you never rule out the Germans. Likewise Brazil are always one of the favourites and look to have a fantastic attacking squad but flatter to deceive usually. Argentina for me but hope I'm wrong.

If you subtract 2022 from 1966 you get 56.  Which is 4 years higher since the last WC (2018-1966 = 52), which just so happened to be 4 years ago..  How incredible is that?

And if that doesn't blow your mind they mentioned on talksport that it's been 56 years since England lifted the trophy, spooky or what? 

Does make you wonder....

I just read that fans are not allowed to bring sex toys with them. What a barbaric  country. What is a game of football with out a big dildo 

• Haha 1

Oh godddddddddd I’ve just been sent some stuff about the fake fans. This World Cup is the cringiest thing ever! 😂😂🤣

Media reporting on the fan zones I wasn't sure if it was accomodation as well, but it looked alright and ****e at the same time. Biggest thing I took from it was the lack of shade.