A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

45 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I haven't got anything on you Corkie. 

Well not yet anyway.

My early career is covered by the OSA😇. After that I'm just some old git , huntin , fishin and walkin the dog.  Nearly 40years of Semi retirement and loving it. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Brazil squad announced today, only 4 home based players.

Absolutely incredible squad. Their performances in the qualifying stages suggest they will be difficult to beat. 

Much more pertinently, are the Qatari powers-that-be ****ting it about corruption claims and are they going to grow up and tolerate different lifestyles.

Really can't give a toss about the footy over there.

For me the World Cup is over and was so in 2018 which I consider the last proper World Cup. It will take me a while to re-adjust to it after Qatar then the expansion with 3 team groups and multi country hosts.

Course a lot of peoples interest will change if England do well again. I will be here hoping they do well and will feel happy if they do, but of course having a good laugh when they don't. Hopefully they tone down their dancing before taking penalties.

Both the Russian and Qatar awards were seemingly influenced by bribes, from recollection it didn’t stop the country getting excited as the team progressed through the stages and can’t see it being any different this time around. No it shouldn’t have gone to a tiny country of less than 3m people who can’t hold it at the traditional time of the season but I don’t blame Qatar for that, that blame rests firmly on the shoulders of the bunch of snakes that was/is FIFA. 

9 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Brazil squad announced today, only 4 home based players.

Not a shock tbf. There’s no way the Brazilian leagues can pay what these guys can earn in Europe. 

Edited by SwearyCanary

Hard to embrace this World Cup, the world has literally lost its marbles!   We should be boycotting it anyway….

Just hope Messi lifts the trophy… his talent and career deserves it!…. Oh and that Maddison gets the call up! 

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

The thought of Sarge scoring against England in the group stages.🙂  

Better still he scores against Wales.

20 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Better still he scores against Wales.

That'd please Mr Webber no end! haha 🙂

On 05/11/2022 at 09:10, FenwayFrank said:

Sort of linked to the World Cup, did anyone see Gary Neville on HIGNFY last night ? 😁

Yeah I thought he was very good on it .😁

Such a shame this tournament is in Qatar as it has the potential to be the best in my long lifetime. Several teams are looking incredibly strong 

Argentina 

Brazil 

France 

Spain

Netherlands 

Portugal 

Belgium 

and I suppose you can never ignore the Germans. 

That's probably the strongest line up ever and this will probably be the final tournament for Messi, Ronaldo and Lewandowski. 

I've decided to ignore the appalling choice of venue and just try to enjoy it. 

On 09/11/2022 at 18:53, Google Bot said:

The thought of Sarge scoring against England in the group stages.🙂  

Must admit his selection is almost having me cheer them more than England (cant stand southgates negative approach). Hope USA go through with us so can keep cheering Sarge on. Remarkable how he has gone from someone who looked like he’d hardly played football before last year to being so good this season.

9 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Must admit his selection is almost having me cheer them more than England (cant stand southgates negative approach). Hope USA go through with us so can keep cheering Sarge on. Remarkable how he has gone from someone who looked like he’d hardly played football before last year to being so good this season.

The USA squad cant be that strong if someone who gets half a dozen goals in the championship is deemed enough to get in

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

USA currently ranked 14th in the FIFA rankings. Having said that, England is ranked 5th..... 

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/men?dateId=id13687

The USA arent the 14th best team in the world

We know how fifa rankings work. Its based on them playing costa rica honduras jamiaca canada over the last 18 months

22 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The USA arent the 14th best team in the world

We know how fifa rankings work. Its based on them playing costa rica honduras jamiaca canada over the last 18 months

As I said, England is ranked 5th which is doubtful at best but USA are no mugs. They've recently beaten Mexico and drawn with Uruguay. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

14 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

They've beaten Mexico and drawn with Uruguay. They're no mugs. 

Mexico?

If the world cup qualification was someone done solely on merit and not geographically , I'd doubt theyd even be in the top 32 and at the tournament at all

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Anyone know if Maddison going to the World Cup is an 'add on' clause in his tranfer to the Fosse?

As far as I’m aware we will get £500k if he makes a competitive start for his country - the Pink’Un mentioned it last time he was called up

Do I shove a quid on Qatar making the final? 🤔🤔 Surely it can't be made THAT obvious right? 🤣 

Benzema top scorer 

Brazil outright winners (just a feeling, no idea why) 

England get past the group but bow out miserably in the 1st knockout game. 

We’d all love our country win the World Cup, and so for England’s own good I’d love to see the FA toughen the homegrown player rule - maybe increase the minimum number to 12?

I never thought this was anything but corruption. It had to be. why would they want a world cup in the middle of European seasons? Why would they play in heat that a lot of medical staff involved in football are concerned about? In a nation which is unlikely to see much use of it's football stadiums in the same way in the future?

Absolutely ridiculous, especially when you consider for such a relatively small country, it wasn't part of a joint bid with any others around it.

I don't have the same feelings around international football that I once did back in '94, '96, '98, 2000 and even 2002. It seems to me that in England at least, we have drilled a lot of what was once called "flair" out of players. Athletes but none like Beckham, Gazza, Sheringham, Scholes or Shearer who all were passionate and could pull something out of nothing who could pull a bit of magic out of nowhere... but then I guess perhaps that's normal?

3 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

We’d all love our country win the World Cup, and so for England’s own good I’d love to see the FA toughen the homegrown player rule - maybe increase the minimum number to 12?

The homegrown rule already doesn't work... why would you extend it to 12?

Krul is homegrown. As is Hanley. I would say give it a couple of years and you'll get something similar at lower levels in any case. It's not going to be so easy to sign U18 players from abroad now so in all likelihood, you'll see the likes of Ake etc start to reduce in number.

It was the worlds worst bit smoke and mirrors just to give the big clubs more of an advantage again. 

A World Cup coming up and I couldn't even tell you when it starts! 

Would be nice to see Madders play some games but will probably get 5 mins as a sub when we're about to get knocked out