Sign in to follow this  
Lewis DW

'Feels like a step forward'

Who are these fans saying that last night's performance was a 'step forward'? A step forward from the dross that we've endured so far this season? 

QPR finished 11th in the Championship last season. 

At home, a club like Norwich, with the squad we have should make for an easy home win. 

Norwich are blowing an easy chance of promotion this season, with a hopeless management team. We have the squad - we have no direction or plan. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lewis DW said:

Who are these fans saying that last night's performance was a 'step forward'? A step forward from the dross that we've endured so far this season? 

At home, a club like Norwich, with the squad we have should make for an easy home win. 

Norwich are blowing an easy chance of promotion this season, with a hopeless management team. We have the squad - we have no direction or plan. 

It was a step forward in the first half, I thought. Moving the ball noticeably more quickly, fullbacks higher up. Smith actually mentioned specifically in his postgame interview on Radio Norfolk that this was a deliberate tactical plan to counter QPR's own tactical setup.

Second half we 'reverted to type' and we didn't move the ball quickly and incisively enough. Again, Smith mentioned that specifically in his interview.

I'm far from convinced by Smith, but there were elements to last night's performance that were a significant improvement, and that addressed some of the most regular complaints about our style.

• Confused 1

“QPR finished 11th in the Championship last season.” So what? Are you saying every club is only allowed to perform to the level they did last season?

There are good arguments about the performance of this coaching team but entitled bleating like this isn’t one of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes we should and ought to be winning, but I think people who said the comment were going in the overall performance/feel, which was far better than the Stoke game that we won.  Sometimes there’s more to a game than the result.

It’s also a bit daft to measure a side by where they were last year: didn’t we win the title after finishing 14th the previous season? QPR have been on good form, would have gone 2nd with a win.  Their manager recently turned down a PL side, so clearly thinks they are a good bet.

You take the result and move on.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Huddersfield were losing play off finalists last year.  Turned out we beat them without too much bother.

What? They are now bottom of this seasons league table, but they came fourth last year, this is madness, it can’t be true?!? 

• Like 1

Lots of empty seats around me last evening. Mixture of casual fans & ST holders appear to be voting with their feet. The football was slightly better, however we're now NINE points behind leaders Burnley! No entitlement; however we should confidently expect to beat QPR at home. I remain unconvinced by the current regime - whatever is going on behind the scenes needs to be sorted out. On the basis passive acceptance isn't going to achieve valuable league points, I'm beginning to wonder whether the NCFC board are planning to remain in the second tier...

City more of a mid table champ ide nowadays - though dare we have a go at promotion -with side we have got it will be suicidal

57 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes we should and ought to be winning, but I think people who said the comment were going in the overall performance/feel, which was far better than the Stoke game that we won.  Sometimes there’s more to a game than the result.

It’s also a bit daft to measure a side by where they were last year: didn’t we win the title after finishing 14th the previous season? QPR have been on good form, would have gone 2nd with a win.  Their manager recently turned down a PL side, so clearly thinks they are a good bet.

You take the result and move on.

Brilliant, you couldn't make it up, this from the poster who was dismissing anyone's opinion about the rubbish football during the unbeaten run!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

“QPR finished 11th in the Championship last season.” So what? Are you saying every club is only allowed to perform to the level they did last season?

Exactly. I recall we finished 12th or 13th (one place below Ipswich) in the Championship and won the title the next year. 

1 hour ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Lots of empty seats around me last evening. Mixture of casual fans & ST holders appear to be voting with their feet. The football was slightly better, however we're now NINE points behind leaders Burnley! No entitlement; however we should confidently expect to beat QPR at home. I remain unconvinced by the current regime - whatever is going on behind the scenes needs to be sorted out. On the basis passive acceptance isn't going to achieve valuable league points, I'm beginning to wonder whether the NCFC board are planning to remain in the second tier...

Why? Sounds a lot like entitlement to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Why? Sounds a lot like entitlement to me.

Don't you get it? We are supposed to have Farke! Then we can win every championship match 3-0 and get promoted then lose every top flight match and get laughed at and mocked by everyone! Now that's entertainment😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't you get it? We are supposed to have Farke! Then we can win every championship match 3-0 and get promoted then lose every top flight match and get laughed at and mocked by everyone! Now that's entertainment😉

Or we could have Smith, lose every top flight match and get laughed at and mocked by everyone, Then we can win 1 in 8 championship matches! Now that’s entertainment! 😜

• Like 1

Well I think swapping the defensive deficiency in midfield for an attacking deficiency probably is a step forward. That way we can be a little below par and not lose. 

And, to be fair, we probably had enough chances to win it. 

I saw Grant Hanley and Ben Gibson make a step forward last night…….then they went back, then sideways. They seemed to do this a lot, I think the sideway and steps back outweighed the steps forward though.

• Haha 1

No, we have no right to expect that in any particular game we breeze past an opponent (e.g. QPR). However, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that we will not be 4 points behind Blackburn, 2 points behind QPR, and 1 point ahead of Preston after 19 games when we compare the squads available to the three managers.

2 hours ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Or we could have Smith, lose every top flight match and get laughed at and mocked by everyone, Then we can win 1 in 8 championship matches! Now that’s entertainment! 😜

Smith won more top flight games than Farke! 

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

It was a step forward in the first half, I thought. Moving the ball noticeably more quickly, fullbacks higher up. Smith actually mentioned specifically in his postgame interview on Radio Norfolk that this was a deliberate tactical plan to counter QPR's own tactical setup.

Second half we 'reverted to type' and we didn't move the ball quickly and incisively enough. Again, Smith mentioned that specifically in his interview.

I'm far from convinced by Smith, but there were elements to last night's performance that were a significant improvement, and that addressed some of the most regular complaints about our style.

I felt more like the first 20 mins was a step forward then all after was 2 steps back again. 🤷‍♂️

25 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Smith won more top flight games than Farke! 

Yes, with Villa, one of the biggest teams in England, and greatest underachieving English team, leaving London Liverpool and Manchester to rule the roost (Newky cash apart). 

5 hours ago, Lewis DW said:

Yup I read that and laughed, right load of ****e.

Maybe it was that daft old idiot that called canary call last night claiming we would win the league by 10 pts.

3 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I felt more like the first 20 mins was a step forward then all after was 2 steps back again. 🤷‍♂️

To be fair, Smith said in his interview that we dropped off towards the end of the first half. So yeah, probably the first half hour was very good, and after that we were varying shades of average.

13 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

To be fair, Smith said in his interview that we dropped off towards the end of the first half. So yeah, probably the first half hour was very good, and after that we were varying shades of average.

Not sure what’s happened to our fitness we used to boss teams in the final 20 mins of games under previous managers. Mind you I looked at a few of the coaching staff the other day and fancied my chances in a foot race so that might rub off on the team. I mean shakey is more Rab c Nesbitt than Ronaldo isn’t he. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

I saw Grant Hanley and Ben Gibson make a step forward last night…….then they went back, then sideways. They seemed to do this a lot, I think the sideway and steps back outweighed the steps forward though.

Cha Cha Cha

10 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

One of Smith's specialities in interviews is pointing out how our players haven't been up to scratch in the last game. He often singles out individuals to highlight how they personally fell from grace. I'm sure all the management guides support dissing your staff in public as the way to get a happy, united team.

The only time he talks about our set-up rather than individual players is when we've lost and he points out that the players are responsible for the tactics, too.

1. We created the type of chances that on most days would lead to a win. They had a few themselves. No one can deny the keeper had a great game as did Gunn.

2. QPR are challengers for automatic and were ‘happy’ to leave with a point.

3. Burnley somehow gained 10 minutes of ET and required a last minute scrambled winner to beat Rotherham at home. Not convincing and they weren’t entitled to that win.

17 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sometimes there’s more to a game than the result.

I know someone has already highlighted this, but I think it's worthy of a second quote. Unbelievable. 

• Haha 1

Kept a clean sheet and created more than enough chances to win the game against a team in the top six. Disappointing not to win (and these sort or results may cost us) but it definitly was a step in the right direction.

17 hours ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Brilliant, you couldn't make it up, this from the poster who was dismissing anyone's opinion about the rubbish football during the unbeaten run!

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I know someone has already highlighted this, but I think it's worthy of a second quote. Unbelievable. 

I third this with a HA-HA!!!! amazing 

13 hours ago, corbs said:

Yes, with Villa, one of the biggest teams in England, and greatest underachieving English team, leaving London Liverpool and Manchester to rule the roost (Newky cash apart). 

Not what I meant at all, Farke won only ONE game last season with us, Smith won more, I believe it was FOUR?