Nexus_Canary

Freed from desire / lightshow

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I used to pity people like you.

Now I'm deeply envious.

Meh, I never really liked the taste and basically, if it's not brewed strictly in conjunction with the Reinheitsgebot (the Bavarian Purity Law), I'm not f**king drinking it.

Nothing beats an absolutely ice-cold Jever on a good day. One will do. And it really does have to be cold - warm Jever is so bitter that it is off-putting, but chilled - that bitterness is hauled back and it becomes a really dry, refreshing drink.

57 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Did you miss the recent video where the FD admitted that there's no money left?

If in the summer we have to make some administrative staff and academy coaches redundant to save costs, how many £25k a year jobs would you say they are worth?

If it was just £200k, that's 8 x £25k a year jobs. 

So they'd have had to lay them off next year is what you are saying?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think you can look at everything as indicators, just obviously of various importance.

I have no idea personally what the point of a light show or flames for instance is. It’s not free either financially or in time to organise.

The pre match entertainment Its a very American thing and we see it increasingly in this country but as we are culturally very different I’m not sure what it’s meant to achieve and therefore what they are trying to achieve.

On the point of a disconnect someone somewhere decided to put on a light show, so obviously think that’s what the fans want. Maybe many do and I’m out of touch.

People around me thought it was ok, nothing particularly special but certainly not representative of a 'disconnect' . I personally think that's a very desperate, and poor leap.

Just now, chicken said:

I don't see the point in questioning the financials when it could well lead to more events at Carrow Road in the off-season that actually generates revenue instead. I can see music concerts seeing it as a big plus, for example.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I don't see the point in questioning the financials when it could well lead to more events at Carrow Road in the off-season that actually generates revenue instead. I can see music concerts seeing it as a big plus, for example.

That's a fair shout - hadn't thought of the idea of the lighting system being used to augment concerts or indeed any other non-match events.

Edited by TheGunnShow

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

People around me thought it was ok, nothing particularly special but certainly not representative of a 'disconnect' . I personally think that's a very desperate, and poor leap.

I was making the point if most peoples reaction is meh (I don’t know if it is, that’s why I said maybe a lot of people like it) but the club thought it was a good use of resources for some reason it’s potentially a minor example of not understanding what your supporters actually want.

Not sure what’s illogical about that or desperate, indicators are simply that indication not conclusive. 

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oh right, you’re a medical expert too, are you?

If there’s any reports of people needing medical attention yesterday I’m sure we’ll hear about them.

I have epilepsy, so does my dad, so did my grandad. My epilepsy is not triggered by flashing lights fortunately, at least haven't been as of yet, and I haven't had a seizure for almost five years, they were much more prevalent in childhood (as is the case in about 50% of sufferers) and flashing lights is a much rarer trigger than people think and the first thing they test for when diagnosing in children. 

My primary trigger is fever / high body temperature brought on by colds, infections or flu, and for that reason I was high priority for covid vaccines.

So while not a medical expert, I bet I know much more about epilepsy and its triggers than you, somebody who apparently doesn't even know that flashing lights is an epilepsy trigger. If you'd ever seen an epileptic have a grand mal seizure, or indeed as in my case know somebody who died from one as a child, you might not be so flippant with your remarks.

There are 600,000 people in the UK with epilepsy, approximately 1% of the population, I personally would have thought it would have been decent of the club to have at least had some sort of consultation with fans or write to season ticket holders and ask them to inform the club if they suffer from epilepsy triggered by flashing lights, what assistance could be given or resolution provided, and provide some sort of advance warning of when light shows were going to take place.

87 people a day in the UK diagnosed with epilepsy, and 21 epilepsy related deaths per week. There are 100,000 emergency admissions per year due to epilepsy.

Of course, what is clear is that anybody sensible who does suffer seizures triggered by flashing lights would be giving up their season ticket now or intentionally missing early goals for night games (and joining the empty seat brigade). That however doesn't account for people who don't realise that they are epileptic until they have a seizure, or that flashing lights can be a trigger for their epilepsy until flashing lights triggers one, there are people who have their first epileptic seizure as an adult, completely out of the blue, it could happen to you.

I'm sorry that you've chosen to publicly display such ignorance and I'm glad you didn't stand for the OSP.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray said:

The lights are a pain in the ar$e for a number of reasons, see; https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/sep/14/increase-in-led-lighting-risks-harming-human-and-animal-health

The last paragraph makes interesting reading, and I quote; "Some councils in England are already trying to reduce the impact of LED lighting, which Evans says are “encouraging signs” that action is being taken. He points out that some authorities are dimming the lights during night hours, and are changing the bandwidths of their LED bulbs to produce less harmful blue light, as seen on the Isle of Wight, which uses warmer bulbs that emit less blue light."

Bring back the old yellow and orange lights! The streets have not been the same since. Hate all these new bright sterile LED white lights just makes me think I'm in a hospital

1 hour ago, chicken said:

The Executive Team? If so, good. Keep the payoffs low.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I have epilepsy, so does my dad, so did my grandad. My epilepsy is not triggered by flashing lights fortunately, at least haven't been as of yet, and I haven't had a seizure for almost five years, they were much more prevalent in childhood (as is the case in about 50% of sufferers) and flashing lights is a much rarer trigger than people think and the first thing they test for when diagnosing in children. 

My primary trigger is fever / high body temperature brought on by colds, infections or flu, and for that reason I was high priority for covid vaccines.

So while not a medical expert, I bet I know much more about epilepsy and its triggers than you, somebody who apparently doesn't even know that flashing lights is an epilepsy trigger. If you'd ever seen an epileptic have a grand mal seizure, or indeed as in my case know somebody who died from one as a child, you might not be so flippant with your remarks.

There are 600,000 people in the UK with epilepsy, approximately 1% of the population, I personally would have thought it would have been decent of the club to have at least had some sort of consultation with fans or write to season ticket holders and ask them to inform the club if they suffer from epilepsy triggered by flashing lights, what assistance could be given or resolution provided, and provide some sort of advance warning of when light shows were going to take place.

87 people a day in the UK diagnosed with epilepsy, and 21 epilepsy related deaths per week. There are 100,000 emergency admissions per year due to epilepsy.

Of course, what is clear is that anybody sensible who does suffer seizures triggered by flashing lights would be giving up their season ticket now or intentionally missing early goals for night games (and joining the empty seat brigade). That however doesn't account for people who don't realise that they are epileptic until they have a seizure, or that flashing lights can be a trigger for their epilepsy until flashing lights triggers one, there are people who have their first epileptic seizure as an adult, completely out of the blue, it could happen to you.

I'm sorry that you've chosen to publicly display such ignorance and I'm glad you didn't stand for the OSP.

…or you could wind your neck in just a bit.

This is a forum for discussion/comment, it will often be throwaway/flippant.  I didn’t realise we had to justify every single post.

And no, sorry, but you aren’t a medical expert.  As I said, If anyone has had a medical episode from the light show, I’m sure we will hear about it. 

I think I will never agree with you on literally anything - your admission to voting to leave the eu and campaigning to bin Farke says plenty on that - so maybe you can just ignore me rather than replying.

Edited by Branston Pickle

20 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Bring back the old yellow and orange lights! The streets have not been the same since. Hate all these new bright sterile LED white lights just makes me think I'm in a hospital

CC I trust this is in jest. It's good at long last to see stars in a city as these lights allow light to be focused downwards!

I am reassured that Council's are looking at reducing brightness of the lights during sleeping hours in conjunction with warmer colours.

One positive is as we have a lamppost directly opposite our house, we don't have to switch our house lights on! Hate to think what our leccy bill might look like otherwise.

Shefcanary,

The Guardian article also states;

The increase in blue light radiation in Europe has also reduced the visibility of stars in the night sky, which the study says “may have impacts on people’s sense of nature”. Blue light can also alter the behavioural patterns of animals including bats and moths, as it can change their movements towards or away from light sources.

Along with;

Chief among the health consequences of blue light is its ability to suppress the production of melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep patterns in humans and other organisms.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think I will never agree with you on literally anything - your admission to voting to leave the eu and campaigning to bin Farke says plenty on that - so maybe you can just ignore me rather than replying.

And you like Branston Pickle, so yeah we aren't on the same page.

6 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Meh, I never really liked the taste and basically, if it's not brewed strictly in conjunction with the Reinheitsgebot (the Bavarian Purity Law), I'm not f**king drinking it.

Nothing beats an absolutely ice-cold Jever on a good day. One will do. And it really does have to be cold - warm Jever is so bitter that it is off-putting, but chilled - that bitterness is hauled back and it becomes a really dry, refreshing drink.

That sounds like something that should have been repealed in 1945.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

That sounds like something that should have been repealed in 1945.

Sounds like something that should have been annexed - wait, I mean passed into law - by the UK in 1945. British beer is crap.

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If it was just £200k, that's 8 x £25k a year jobs. 

You do realise there are more costs to employing people than just their wages........

The music and the light show aren’t in sink 

gala and the music before hand , terrible choices 

11 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Still waiting for a reply from the Club re the lights. I would like to know how much they cost, a fair number of supporters around me look away during the show.

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Too much considering a few months later when got the FD admitting we haven't got a pot to p*ss in. 

Our floodlighting is provided by our back of shirt sponsors, so I doubt they cost the club anything. 

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

I agree. I was just questioning the logic that a one off £200k means that 8 £25k per year jobs had to be lost... if that money could only pay them for another year, it's clearly not a correlation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

AEC Illuminazione are doing the town centre Christmas lights this year too.

Binner!! 😇

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

A fitting response. 👍

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Ian said:

Who decided this was a good idea? I was looking around and nobody in the crowd seemed even vaguely interested.

Sounds like the kind of made for TV nonsense the yanks love. Hope our new saviour isn't behind it!!! 

If anyone saw the nonsense before the champs league final, there is the definitive proof that football does not need this shiite. 

I imagine the old boys in the city stand had a hard time with it! 

Maybe this comes from the mysterious "cooperation" with Ferencváros? Before the games they do a light show, and Freed from desire is one of the favourites of the Fradi crowd, they have  their own version of it: