ricardo

Ricardo's report v QPR

The forecast was for rain this evening so Mrs R nagged me into togging up with the appropriate gear for the ride down to CR. For once, the starting line up didn't look like it had been picked at random and I expect most would have come up with something very similar.

After an early rush of blood from a Rangers defender that sent Byrom sprawling and resulted in a yellow card, the game evened out with some nice neat play from both sides. The first goalmouth action came after about ten minutes when the lively Cantwell found McCallum on the left and his low cross was met by Gabby Sara about sixyards out. I was expecting the net to bulge but Dieng in the Rangers goal did well to block the ball away. Almost immediately the action sprang up to the other end where Chair found a bit of space to get his shot on target but Gunn was well positioned to parry and the danger was cleared.

The home side were playing some nice stuff at this stage and threatened again moments later when Ramsey picked up a ball over the top and raced clear down the City right. His cut back to Pukki had the crowd out of their seats but again Dieng was equal to it and just got enough of a hand on it to turn the ball over the bar. A goal looked in the offing as City continued to dominate and look dangerous and on the quarter hour came within a whisker of going in front. Another raid down the right saw the City talisman turn inside a defender on the edge of the box, and then get the better of a couple of tackles before firing a low shot past the Rangers custodian, only for the ball to rebound off the foot of the far post and back across goal before being cleared.

It was an inspired opening quarter and the only thing missing was a goal to ice the cake. We had seen little of the visitors up to this stage but they gradually got into the game and responded with a couple of shots but well off target. Then Cantwell might have done better to take a shot when he picked up a loose ball on the City left but he chose to pass inside to Pukki who couldn't drag it between two defenders and the chance was snuffed out.

The game seemed to settle more into a midfield battle and it began to rain quite hard as things got a bit scrappy towards the interval although Gunn was again called into action when diving to his right to push away a well struck shot from outside the box. From the resulting corner, Cantwell danced away into the Rangers half only to be brought down from behind. Not for the first time ref Andy Davies saw nothing amiss.

The visitors began to make it difficult for the home side to pass their way out of defence as the second half began and there was discontent in the crowd as City could get nothing going in the opposing half. Indeed it was now Rangers that were calling the tune and around the hour mark only a remarkable double save from Angus Gunn kept the scoresheet blank. The City defence seemed to open up as a Rangers forward strode through the middle and struck a low shot from about twenty yards. My view from directly behind expected to see the net ripple but Gunn's finger tips did enough to turn it on to the post. The City keeper was then up quickly as the ball was returned across goal and a powerful header again looked goalbound, until as if from nowhere, Gunn went full length to turn the ball away for a corner. It really was top drawer goalkeeping.

We had Hernandez on for Sara then Nunez for Cantwell as City tried to kick into gear and although it resulted in a succession of corners they couldn't fashion anything clear cut. To be honest Rangers looked equal to pretty much all we could throw at them and as a consequence the crowd never really got into the game was  very quiet for long periods. Kenny and Max were also introduced and then Dowell for an injured Hayden as City took up the ascendancy again as time ticked down. With injury time approaching, it appeared that Onell might be the hero as he went one on one with Dieng only for the Rangers keeper to deny him with what looked from my end a point blank stop.

City earned a corner at last gasp but Hanley's shot went narrowly wide as the ref blew for time.

The Men of the match were obviously the keepers, both of whom had one of those matches where they knew they wouldn't be beaten. I'm disappointed not to win but you couldn't say that a draw wasn't the fairest result. For my part, I think I've seen enough now to say that an automatic spot is looking increasingly unlikely. We are just not scoring enough goals to make that seem possible.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

That's pretty much what I saw tonight Rickyyyy. For a 0-0 it was a decent watch. I think we shaded because of those first half chances. As I went out a steward said to me "I bet you wish you'd stayed at home and missed that rubbish"

Seriously? 

It seems we don't have much more than 45 minutes in the legs of the midfield. And second half I continually noticed that Hayden is a good protector but doesn't really link play and tends to pass the ball straight back the way he's facing. Perhaps he doesn't trust his knee on the turn? But when Nunez plays deep he is already on the turn looking to get us up the pitch when he receives the ball.

It's virtually a completely new midfield this season. If we can get that right I'm not ruling anything out yet.

Oh and people booing Kenny when he came on? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Top stuff Ricardo, only correction is that Hanley's last kick of the game shot actually hit the post.

Hernandez was desperately unlucky with his shot, it sort of clipped the keepers side as he looked to lift it over him with a bit of power to boot.

Both keepers mom is spot on. 

Nearly home - midweek games aren’t good for me, will get in at 1:30.  
I was actually fairly happy with the game today, seen far worse 0-0s and for me it was better than Saturday.  We could/should have won but then again they could have nicked it too. I do feel/hope that if/when we get a run of games into Sara/Hayden we might see an improvement in play.

• Like 1

Good report.  I’ve settled myself mentally that we are a playoff contender this season, you never know, things could click and players coming back, setting in the uk find form, but as you say, looks a push too far as things stand.  

Good report.

Certainly don't think top 2 is out of the question and certainly not from lack of goals we've scored more than QPR and Blackburn (who are 2nd) at this point in the season.

9 hours ago, chicken said:

Top stuff Ricardo, only correction is that Hanley's last kick of the game shot actually hit the post.

Hernandez was desperately unlucky with his shot, it sort of clipped the keepers side as he looked to lift it over him with a bit of power to boot.

Both keepers mom is spot on. 

Thanks, I'm at the other end and didn't  realise that it actually hit the post. It would have been nice to get a late goal. At Burnley they seem to add time until they eventually score. Plus 10 last night I see.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thanks, I'm at the other end and didn't  realise that it actually hit the post. It would have been nice to get a late goal. At Burnley they seem to add time until they eventually score. Plus 10 last night I see.

Yup. I have to say, I did not predict a clean sheet last night, and Gunn had to work hard for any bonus he gets for that.

24 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It would have been nice.

Edited by Mengo