Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Take a point

Take a point? For **** sake, this just shows how low we've plumbed under Smith. We're at home, against opponents who lost their last two away games against teams lower than us in the league table, and we're happy with a point?

Look at our bench. Between Aarons and Dowell you have nearly 40 England U21 appearances. We've had a former Dutch international on the bench. A player with two Championship title medals in his keepsake box, plus a player with two Championship title medals and 28 Scottish caps. A Chilean international recently linked with Seville. It is an utter embarrassment of riches. These are players that would walk into nearly all Championship teams, QPR in particular. If you were to pool the two matchday squads from tonight and get a neutral to pick their best 11 and best squad, 80-90% of the players would be Norwich players.

We're a ****ing Man City or Liverpool in this division. And some of us think we should be content with a 0-0 draw in which the away team actually generated more shots at goal than us? Embarrassing. Given the audible booing at the whistle, it looks like it might just be a PinkUn thing that a point was a good outcome tonight.

We've one of the best squads in the division. Admittedly, it's not head and shoulders above everyone else like the Aston Villa squad from 2018/19 (that somehow only managed to end up 5th) but it should comfortably be top two in this league. Yet where we are is that we should be happy with a point at home to ****ing QPR.

• Like 5

Unless he goes soon there will be no promotion this season , probably for the best not to go up with him in charge anyway.

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

are you quoting someone here?

Not directly, just reacting to several people's comments in the match thread that a point tonight is/was somehow acceptable.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Given the audible booing at the whistle, it looks like it might just be a PinkUn thing that a point was a good outcome tonight.

QPR lost 2-0 to Birmingham in their last away game, and thrashed by Luton in the away game before that.

QPR would have been happy for a point away from home tonight no matter who the opposition was, so to laud this as a great point is embarrassing. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Not directly, just reacting to several people's comments in the match thread that a point tonight is/was somehow acceptable.

cheers: wondered if that was a Smith post-match comment. Tbh, most of the comments I saw on the match thread suggested that the performance was better tonight, not that that means a point is acceptable. But I'm not going to pick a fight about it. We need to get better, no question about that. 

Very random.  I doubt anyone is overly happy with a point, but for me the performance was a lot better than Saturday.  Sometimes you just take what you get and move on. QPR are a lot better than people are giving them credit for - there’s a reason Wolves wanted their manager.

• Like 2

No doubt it was flat for periods of the game, but when your top striker misses at least two/three excellent chances, players miss simple one on ones when the keeper has fallen over, and you hit the post with the last kick of the game I don't know how much criticism can be levelled at Smith.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

If you were to pool the two matchday squads from tonight and get a neutral to pick their best 11 and best squad, 80-90% of the players would be Norwich players.

Chair and the Villa lad are the only 2 who's get in our 11, shame we don't have an ex Villa manager who's worked with the Villa lad before and could have put us in prime position to get him on loan instead of QPR......... Oh hold on... 

Agree with you though, should never be happy with a point at home 

A point would have been OK had we not had such a recent poor run of results.

The performance was considerably better and think that was demonstrated by a better atmosphere for large parts of the game.

I'm certainly not taking a point....we had 5 clear cut chances, 2 of them easy.

To be behind that QPR team in this league after 19 games is disgraceful

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

My take away from the last few games is this, it’s a bad league, quality of all teams is poor. We are an average side with above average players for this level being coached poorly making them worse than the sum of their parts. Seems the board are happy with the mediocrity on display and Webber is too stubborn to admit he makes mistakes and take them on the chin so we are stuck with smith. I think we will end up middle of the top half, which is about where we are under smith. We are most certainly stuck with him till Christmas now so may as well enjoy the 15 mins or so per 90 we look a good side. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'm certainly not taling a point....we had 5 clear cut chances, 2 of them easy.

To be behind that QPR team in this league after 19 games is disgraceful

They also had chances to win it if it wasn’t for Gunn so could of been worse. That is unless you want smith to go in which case a qpr winner would of probably been for the better. Another point let’s smith limp us further into mediocrity with each passing week. 

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The performance was considerably better and think that was demonstrated by a better atmosphere for large parts of the game.

Performance was stop start, more stop than start in the second half. Crowd was up for it tonight but players need to do their part too. Baffling subs though. I think I’ve resigned myself to the fact we will probably be between 4th and 10th come the end of the season under smith so just taking it as it comes now and enjoying the 15 mins of half cohesive football we get each 90

8 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

They also had chances to win it if it wasn’t for Gunn so could of been worse. That is unless you want smith to go in which case a qpr winner would of probably been for the better. Another point let’s smith limp us further into mediocrity with each passing week. 

Top 2 has probably already gone as Burnley look like theyre being given enough time to score a winner in every game they play..we're not consistent enough for runners up...top 6 is in serious jeopardy under Smith

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Top 2 has probably already gone as Burnley look like theyre being given enough time to score a winner in every hame they play..we're not consistent enough for runners up...top 6 is under jeopardy with Smith

Top 2 is long gone we will be somewhere between 4th and 10th which Webber will probably try and spin as some success on the club you tube page so he doesn’t actually have to face any external scrutiny. 

13 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Top 2 is long gone we will be somewhere between 4th and 10th which Webber will probably try and spin as some success on the club you tube page so he doesn’t actually have to face any external scrutiny. 

Yes, you're absolutely right.

It's completely impossible for us to make up a 5 point gap in the remaining 27 games of the season.

Give your head a wobble son.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I thought that overall that was our best 90 minute performance of the season. Not 20 minutes or 25 but 90. The crowd hot really nervous when we proceeded to play it around the back and this affected the players for a few minutes. Maybe they should learn to be a bit more progressive then the crowd will keep off their back. For me I have kittens anytime Gibson gets the ball at his feet. Let's hope Omo returns fit after the World Cup which could come at a really good time for us

8 hours ago, Ian said:

Yes, you're absolutely right.

It's completely impossible for us to make up a 5 point gap in the remaining 27 games of the season.

Give your head a wobble son.

Top 2 isn't gone for clubs sitting midtable yet let alone us!

The first half of the first half was good, better than anything we have seen so far this year IMO.

The problem is we seem unable to play at this level of intensity for more than 15-20 minutes. The second half of the first half was OK, but you could see QPR edging their way into the game. Most of the second half was pretty poor, starting with pointless passing it around at the back, followed by a set of questionable substitutions and misplaced passes. We could have snatched it in the last ten minutes as QPR retreated more and more into their shell.

If this game had happened in the middle of a good run, it would have been OK against a side who look like a possible play-off team. In the context of our last ten games or so, it looks less of a point gained and more like two points lost. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

If this game had happened in the middle of a good run, it would have been OK against a side who look like a possible play-off team. In the context of our last ten games or so, it looks less of a point gained and more like two points lost

Excellent summary. Agree with your whole post

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

This. I'm never "happy" with a point in any home game in this division but in isolation it would not be an awful result had we not played like sh*t and lost to Luton and Preston at home and failed to beat a West Brom side who were there for the taking. 

Watford also ominously kicking into gear since we kick started their season yet again with our pathetic showing there and Shef United have had their season reignited by their second half come back against us. 

People are only really taking the point as an ok result because they are happier that the performance was marginally better than the cr*p we've had to watch in recent weeks but that is a low bar. 

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Very random.  I doubt anyone is overly happy with a point, but for me the performance was a lot better than Saturday.  Sometimes you just take what you get and move on. QPR are a lot better than people are giving them credit for - there’s a reason Wolves wanted their manager.

Funny Wolves didn’t want ours! 😔

• Like 1

I think people are really understating how good QPR were yesterday, especially in defence. It's very blinkered to ignore the opposition's performance when assessing you own team's, and just to base it purely on league positions. I thought we looked fairly good. We were solid throughout with occasional patches of attacking domination. Obviously we need to increase the length and regularity of those periods of domination, but that's where we go from here hopefully.

I think anytime we keep a clean sheet with Gibson in the back four needs to be celebrated as the miracle it clearly is, whether that generates one point or three…..

2 hours ago, Canarywary said:

I think people are really understating how good QPR were yesterday, especially in defence. It's very blinkered to ignore the opposition's performance when assessing you own team's, and just to base it purely on league positions. I thought we looked fairly good. We were solid throughout with occasional patches of attacking domination. Obviously we need to increase the length and regularity of those periods of domination, but that's where we go from here hopefully.

I thought they looked absolutely awful at the back first 20 mins, but after then they settled and we struggled to have any sustained pressure until the final 5 mins or so and even that was not to the same level as the start. I’d be inclined to give them credit for adapting to the game after our strong start, but when 20 minute spurts across 90 minute performances has generally been the theme of our season, it’s hard to ignore the likelihood that it was more than likely a result of our own levels dropping off - once again - as opposed to anything QPR started doing particularly better.

Overall if no one had told me QPR were in the top 4 before the game I’d have put them down as a pretty normal midtable side, not particularly better than Stoke, Luton or Preston. Then again you could throw a napkin over the difference in quality between the play offs and midtable so that’s hardly a surprise.