Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

Hayden

50 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Happy that he can only get better with improving match fitness and expect him to be a class act in the second half of the season. Don’t necessarily need pace in that role if the ability to read a game is there, although of course it helps. Bit worrying though if it really is assumed in the dugout that full backs are only allowed to get forward if he’s on the pitch – if so one or two rival coaches would soon sus that out and have him targeted for an early kicking. And as for a lack of pointing, I’m told he has been great at bricklaying down at Colney.

I was told that he didn't do a full shift and downed his tools............................

Strong performance today. Starting to look like the player Newcastle fans said. 

aggressive, physical and attitude. All things we have missed in central midfield. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, duke63 said:

Strong performance today. Starting to look like the player Newcastle fans said. 

aggressive, physical and attitude. All things we have missed in central midfield. 

Disciplined, tactically aware and leads.  Also things that we have missed in central midfield.  And elsewhere I might add.  For those who subscribe to The Athletic his interview whilst still at Newcastle is a hugely impressive read.  

• Like 1

And winding up the Rotherham fans when they thought they should have had a penalty. Brilliant! Proper attitude.

Make no mistake, yesterday at a tough and sometimes intimidating South Yorkshire venue, Hayden produced a 'master class' display. Not necessarily so much in terms of absolute quality, but perhaps just as important was the tantalising glimpse of the future in which (hopefully!!) a fully physically fit and match fit Hayden will drive us to promotion.

I hadn't realised until I read the article, the 'on / off' (mostly 'off') nature of his last two years at Newcastle (in addition to 'that' knee injury). Hayden has a lot of ground to make up that's for sure. Just as important as his defensive duties was the forward forays he produced. One such ended with a peach of a slide rule through pass in the' second half in one of our attacks. Naturally the physical tackles were a feature (something missing from our midfield for years it seems) but more than that was his reading of the game and the anticipation to just 'step up' and 'nick' the ball off a dozy opponent. 

Just before the substitutions he went down badly during an attack and the travelling army almost gasped with trepidation thinking.....'Oh no not the knee again'. Thankfully he was up and running again after treatment. The 'shift' he put in was immense and he must have been begging the gaffer to take him off when Gibbs was lined up to come on. At that time Hayden had his hands on his knees such was the demanding test his body had been put through. The gaffer had other ideas though and was determined to get 90 minutes out of him. 

Finally, it was warming indeed to watch him take a solo bow in front of the Yarmy after the final whistle. Lets pray Haytden has found his home and we have found a new God.          

• Like 2

The World Cup break comes at just the right time for him and us generally. Just needs to get through next Saturday and he has a month of recovery.

Will be a huge player for us as he'll underpin tactical changes that allow us to be more attacking.

• Like 1

What pleased me particularly was how the presence of Hayden helped our central defenders confidence and Gibson really benefited with a strong performance. The clearance by Hayden from under the bar, mistakenly given as a goal keep by the useless referee, was amazing and the difference between 3 points and 1.

Last two games I’ve seen a few meaty tackles that made me think that’s what we’ve been missing. He’s getting better and looking more and more like what we need. Some steel to keep the opposition from breaking too quickly and let the backs become wing backs. Added to which he’s a bit of a leader in the pitch.

Also agree with @Jack Flash that Gibbo had a much better game. Another player who appears to need to get match fit before he’s at his best. If he carries on like this Omo will have trouble getting back into the starting 11. Having said that, I’m sure injuries will be along soon…

On 02/11/2022 at 22:03, Worthy Nigelton said:

He's not up to much is he? Not bad, but all a bit 'meh' I think.

He’s the only one outside of Hanley in the squad who I’d think would be a bit of a handful if it came to fisticuffs, I think having that bite is important and he doesn’t seem as pampered as some others. 

Top notch yesterday. His timing & positioning made me worry less about his lack of pace. Also I was surprised at how much he got forward & his passing ability. Perhaps we've finally found that player we've been looking for all this time? Everything crossed ...

• Thanks 1

Hayden looks assured in the holding midfielder position and hes not up to full fitness yet!

I think the team is a slow burner this season and can get better as the season goes on and we are in the mix!

49 minutes ago, kingsway said:

I think the team is a slow burner this season and can get better as the season goes on and we are in the mix!

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Expecting a far better second half to the season.

I’ve been very impressed by his performance so far considering he hadn’t played for ages, although I think he does have 118 PL appearances to his name. As others have said, the World Cup break will be an excellent time for him to get back to full match fitness as I’m starting to think he could make difference to the team 

Edited by HazzaJet

Have said before that positionally he is just what we need even if physically he’s not quite up to speed yet. I think/hope the World Cup break comes at a good time for him.

Only a little thing but what I liked a lot on Saturday was the way he read and intercepted opposition players trying to break away after our corners had been cleared on two or three occasions. He intercepted and stopped them in their own third of the pitch rather than them being allowed to run unchallenged for 50 yards as so often has happened in the recent past. It makes a big difference. 

• Like 3

On 06/11/2022 at 11:19, By Hook or Ian crook said:

He’s the only one outside of Hanley in the squad who I’d think would be a bit of a handful if it came to fisticuffs, I think having that bite is important and he doesn’t seem as pampered as some others. 

Dunno, got a suspicion Hugill might know what he's doing in a scrap and also think Lungi could be one of those quiet ones who can bite when pushed.

EDIT: Don't forget Onel either. Pretty sure he'll have boxing fundamentals in his locker.

Edited by TheGunnShow

On 06/11/2022 at 11:19, By Hook or Ian crook said:

He’s the only one outside of Hanley in the squad who I’d think would be a bit of a handful if it came to fisticuffs

Looking forward to your fight with Adam Idah then! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

19 hours ago, kingsway said:

Hayden looks assured in the holding midfielder position and hes not up to full fitness yet!

You don't get it, Smith doesnt speak German, doesnt wear a parka, puts his hands in his pockets and we don't win every match 5-0. Smith must be sacked at once. Giving things TIME?! How dare you. Not like we have half our team injured, all working under a brand new system and coaching. Time means nothing! I DEMAND INSTANT RESULTS OR SACK EVERYONE!😉   

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Have said before that positionally he is just what we need even if physically he’s not quite up to speed yet. I think/hope the World Cup break comes at a good time for him.

Only a little thing but what I liked a lot on Saturday was the way he read and intercepted opposition players trying to break away after our corners had been cleared on two or three occasions. He intercepted and stopped them in their own third of the pitch rather than them being allowed to run unchallenged for 50 yards as so often has happened in the recent past. It makes a big difference. 

Yes, his reading of the game was very good, personally he was my player of the match just ahead of Max.

6 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

also think Lungi could be one of those quiet ones who can bite when pushed.

Shame he didn't show more bite on the pitch then, if he were any more laid back he'd be horizontal.

34 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Shame he didn't show more bite on the pitch then, if he were any more laid back he'd be horizontal.

Dunno, pretty sure he's one of the top tacklers in the club based on stats. He might not go running all over to find a tackle if it drags him too far out of position, but he seems to reliably hit fairly hard when someone's going at him, or if the ball breaks loose and a 50:50 is a result.

Remember him really hitting someone in a tackle against Swansea... think it was Connor Roberts that he hit.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Was colossal on Saturday, loved him winding up the Rotherham fans with the cupped ears 

• Like 1

Tried to be positive about him but he's ****. Slow over the ground and slow distribution. A hundred times better when Gibbs came on.

At least it looks as though we won't have to buy him!

Think too much was expected of him. Hardly a revelation in a poor Newcastle side. He's ok for the current level but would need replacing if (not bloody likely!) We go up.

Gibbs on the other hand looks like one we'll struggle to hold on to

6 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Isn’t what we need. Mind you, given the coaching, we probably are not seeing any true reflection of our players

Agree. Messi would look $hit in a Smith side

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canario said:

Think too much was expected of him. Hardly a revelation in a poor Newcastle side. He's ok for the current level

All true. 

If he was Prem quality he'd have got a Prem move. 

That said, might look better in a more organised side, we're a shambles.