Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Bali Mumba tonight

Glad he's not here at the moment. His confidence must be sky-high after the way the first half of this season has gone and it would probably be very different if he were here. He'd either not be playing or he'd be full back in a back four, and he looks much better as a wing back or perhaps even as a winger. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

What - the one who's 'destroyed' Josh Sargent and Liam Gibbs you mean? 

Sorry to cause offence Deano, didn’t realise you trawled the pinkun forums. SMITH OUT 

12 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Quite - he was meant to be a r/b and with Max and Byram ahead of him, it made sense to get game time elsewhere  - that he’s landed at a side doing well is a bonus. The only caveat is that he seems to be filling a berth on the left-hand side for them. 

It’s almost like we’ve not had a left back for a few months probably would of got his chance to play had he stayed here 

14 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It’s almost like we’ve not had a left back for a few months probably would of got his chance to play had he stayed here 

Pretty sure he’d always been right-sided - and looking at yesterday’s performance he doesn’t have much of a left foot (though a good right!). 

26 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Pretty sure he’d always been right-sided - and looking at yesterday’s performance he doesn’t have much of a left foot (though a good right!). 

Still probably better than having to play Kenny there 

43 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Still probably better than having to play Kenny there 

Well, yes.  But he was the 4th player we’d had to use, which is a bit odd.

I think for Bali’s own progression it was better he went on loan, rather than hanging about on the offchance he might get the odd game for us.

• Like 1

DS on Bali Mumba’s goal last night: "I did see it yeah. I also saw their first goal as well where he got caught out. He scored a really good goal and his celebrations are getting better."

DS is such a d*ck. Had to get that little dig in didn't he. His man management skills are right up there with David Brent

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

DS on Bali Mumba’s goal last night: "I did see it yeah. I also saw their first goal as well where he got caught out. He scored a really good goal and his celebrations are getting better."

DS is such a d*ck. Had to get that little dig in didn't he.

No, he is being honest. 

Yes, it was a very good goal but that does not make Bali a good defender.

I would much rather see him as a winger than a full back.

Bali has always seemed to be a reactive player rather than a proactive one, hopefully he now gives his game a great deal more thought and will blossom into a very good player ................ for us.

11 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

The one who continually plays Sargent right wing and completely wasting him you mean? 

Sargent is the joint top scorer in the Division - I hardly think that he's being 'wasted'. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Sorry to cause offence Deano, didn’t realise you trawled the pinkun forums. SMITH OUT 

Any chance you could actually engage with the point I'm making?

17 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

No, he is being honest. 

Yes, it was a very good goal but that does not make Bali a good defender.

I would much rather see him as a winger than a full back.

Bali has always seemed to be a reactive player rather than a proactive one, hopefully he now gives his game a great deal more thought and will blossom into a very good player ................ for us.

There was still no need to say it publicly, especially since Mumba won't be with us until next season so Smith doesn't have the excuse that he's trying to gee the player up for the next game. Smith is not averse to criticising players in public, which may partly explain why confidence seems so low on the pitch. Some players seem to be singled out (e.g. Giannoulis) while others have made dreadful mistakes and never get panned (e.g. Byram and McLean).

EDIT: I agree with you, though, that Bali seems better as wing back or winger than as full back.

Edited by canarybubbles

10 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Sargent is the joint top scorer in the Division - I hardly think that he's being 'wasted'. 

He scored the majority of his goals whilst playing through the middle though, as a striker

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

DS is such a d*ck. Had to get that little dig in didn't he. His man management skills are right up there with David Brent

I saw this quote and haven't stopped being shocked. Smith is the worst sort of person, get him out of our club before he destorys everyone. Horrid little man

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

But what he completely failed to note is that Mumba was determined to put his mistake right and was instrumental in their equaliser. How many of our crop have the same mindset? Did Gibson try to atone for his recent mistakes?

Quite right about man management......

SMITH OUT NOW

• Like 1

Sargent isn't being "wasted" although he's less effective out wide but more to the point the whole team is unbalanced by it, thats why its an issue. It has been particularly harmful to Max who has constantly faced a 2 on 1 overlap in recent games.

As for Mumba, I tend to agree that he looks a useful option as a winger and given the lack of wide players we seem to have left ourselves with one can't help but feel he might be a decent option (on either flank) to have at our disposal for the second half of the season. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Mumba isn't solid enough defensively. No way is he a replacement for Max, or even back-up, in a flat back 4.

Besides which he's way too short for a FB. Winger yes. 

Edited by Surfer

4 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And in what position did he score those goals? 🙄

7 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

As 3rd choice... and then no one would be saying 'oh look how good Mumba is, he's doing really well at Plymouth!'

7 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Any chance you could actually engage with the point I'm making?

Dean Smith has not shown that he develops talent for us and I’d suggest several players are playing worse than under previous regime. So as I see Bali Mumba as one for the future, but I see Smith as detrimental to the success of that future playing the brand of football he has spent a year crafting, I want Mumba to stay out until a new manager comes in who can hopefully incorporate Mumba into a team that he can shine in. 

23 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

In League one.

Mumba will get his chance with Norwich next year. Plan was probably this year, but Aarons didn’t leave.

Still quite a hard pill to swallow after seeing that goal. 

3 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Still quite a hard pill to swallow after seeing that goal. 

Jaysus Christ alive, he didn't fecking score it against us for 1p5wich, bitter pill? Get some perspective. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, wesforprimeminister said:

I saw this quote and haven't stopped being shocked. Smith is the worst sort of person, get him out of our club before he destorys everyone. Horrid little man

🚨Sense of perspective required 🚨

Edit: just read Corkio’s post. 😂  Seems to be a common issue on here right now.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Jaysus Christ alive, he didn't fecking score it against us for 1p5wich, bitter pill? Get some perspective. 

What an utterly bizarre comment.

Aarons: has never been great defensively and is being targeted for his lack of height

Certain people who know best: if only we could play someone slightly shorter and not as good defensively 🤔

Also, Mumba's loan last year was in particular to work on the defensive side of his game, so you'd assume this one is with the same aim. Smith's comments are nothing shocking.

23 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

What - the one who's 'destroyed' Josh Sargent and Liam Gibbs you mean? 

You forgot he has 'destroyed' Todd Cantwell as well. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

25 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You have a very bizarre logic. I was merely suggesting he could do this for us but you seem to be obsessed with Ipswich. 

Odd character.