Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

"We're not a PR arm of the football club"

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable expectation for people to have based on the squad, finances and state of the rest of the league.

However I happen to agree with you.

What's wrong with the state of the league? It's highly comptetitive; everybody can beat everybody, and they do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Does anyone else not think there is some smoke and mirrors going on here? It's all being made out to be about the Attanasio interest... but no one has exclusivity on Attanasio if he is sitting in the wide open...

IMHO, there is more to this story and neither side are prepared to open about that. I suspect it has more than a little to do with Archants/PinkUn's response to the Webber interview as well.

Historically, it has often been said that the club generally has gone to the local, better known press over national press. There seems to have been a bit more going on to have this sort of response.

Not sure I would 100% believe either side at this point.

I don’t doubt that the EDP piece in effect attacking Webber for not giving his all has played a part in the punishment that seems to be going on.

But the claim made by Richens in his interview that the EDP had broken trust on a matter of privileged information is undoubtedly to do specifically with the paper’s exclusive revelation of Attanasio and his investment. A claim which Davitt has categorically - and I believe correctly - denied.

What is strange is that the club has widened this punishment/banishing to include some and perhaps even all of the local media.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chicken said:

Does anyone else not think there is some smoke and mirrors going on here? It's all being made out to be about the Attanasio interest... but no one has exclusivity on Attanasio if he is sitting in the wide open...

IMHO, there is more to this story and neither side are prepared to open about that. I suspect it has more than a little to do with Archants/PinkUn's response to the Webber interview as well.

Historically, it has often been said that the club generally has gone to the local, better known press over national press. There seems to have been a bit more going on to have this sort of response.

Not sure I would 100% believe either side at this point.

What don’t you believe from the local journo’s exactly?

Only one side talks openly and it’s the Pinkun lads. Not sure what they’ve said that makes you think they aren’t being honest? 

The fact that Bailey has had similar treatment means it’s not just isolated to the Pinkun.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What's wrong with the state of the league? It's highly comptetitive; everybody can beat everybody, and they do. 

It was in reference to its quality in comparison to the PL, which is far lower.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don’t doubt that the EDP piece in effect attacking Webber for not giving his all has played a part in the punishment that seems to be going on.

But the claim made by Richens in his interview that the EDP had broken trust on a matter of privileged information is undoubtedly to do specifically with the paper’s exclusive revelation of Attanasio and his investment. A claim which Davitt has categorically - and I believe correctly - denied.

What is strange is that the club has widened this punishment/banishing to include some and perhaps even all of the local media.

Bailey has repeatedly alluded to his punishment being related to things he’d written the club didn’t like. I can’t remember if he’s ever highlighted what specifically. He’s also categorically denied doing anything that could be considered a breach of trust.

I don’t think it’s strange at all. It appears they are all getting the same treatment for questioning the club on things/revealing things they didn’t want them to it seems. The Pinkun’s headline was just very overt in showing the clash going on.

Just listened to the pod. Paddy mentions the club saying they don’t need local media. I can see why the Webber cabal holds this view and closes shop, but Delia and Michael? Ambassadors of Norwich and Norfolk more broadly? If Ed Balls or Stephen Fry were still on the board this wouldn’t happen. 

At Forest Brian Clough called in local journo Duncan Hamilton, cutting his teeth on the local rag. No doubt in shorts after a game of squash, whiskey to hand. 
 And what work did your father do? Duncan said he was a Miner. That’s how it begun I like to think

14 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Interesting thread from the Canaries Trust:

1/5 On Saturday we talked with many #NCFC fans and canvassed their views on the relationship they feel they have with @NorwichCityFC   Here is a thread of the main topics that were raised by supporters:

2/5 Everyone wanted the atmosphere to improve, and feedback included  strong support for a drum and a singing section as well as for safe standing. The relocation of away fans was also regularly mentioned.   All acknowledged no easy answers

3/5 In terms of the current perceived feeling of disconnect to the club, many felt the latest in house @NorwichCityFC stoked the flames of discontent from supporters.

4/5 Feedback showed that #NCFC do not feel the manager has a connection to the club, Norwich/Norfolk or the fans. Concerns were raised that fans aren’t aware of the tactical plan on the pitch, and they feel that this has not been communicated by the management team or the club.

5/5 Fans clearly showed respect for the manager, but showed little or no warmth.   The matchday experience has been soured by a disconnect and feeling of apathy.

https://twitter.com/canariestrust/status/1587164051095912455

This is interesting but does make me feel the Farke era has set some 'unrealistic' expectations re point 5.

Maybe it is me but I never felt I needed to feel warmth towards any manager we had. To be honest two of our most likeable managers of recent years were largely unsuccessful (Adams and Gunn) while Lambert, who nobody would describe as a warm character, was easily the most successful.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Monty13 said:

It was in reference to its quality in comparison to the PL, which is far lower.

It's more that the quality of the Premier League has gone up, and we have conclusive evidence from two successive seasons that we've been well short of the quality required to survive in that. 

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

This is interesting but does make me feel the Farke era has set some 'unrealistic' expectations re point 5.

Maybe it is me but I never felt I needed to feel warmth towards any manager we had. To be honest two of our most likeable managers of recent years were largely unsuccessful (Adams and Gunn) while Lambert, who nobody would describe as a warm character, was easily the most successful.

I'm also a bit perplexed by the comment: "Concerns were raised that fans aren’t aware of the tactical plan on the pitch, and they feel that this has not been communicated by the management team or the club."

Do clubs/managers usually communicate their tactical plans to the fans? I would have thought that the opportunity to watch every NCFC game gives fans ample opportunity to draw their own conclusions regarding the tactical plan?

I think the problem is that the formation/system/tactics don't seem to be yielding good results or consistently attractive football. The club/management team shouldn't need to have to spell out what they perceive their tactical plan to be; the proof is surely in the pudding on that front?

• Like 1

Maybe Webber approved the video as he thought it was a finance director talking about finances... Maybe they sneaked that last question in as sabotage ha

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm also a bit perplexed by the comment: "Concerns were raised that fans aren’t aware of the tactical plan on the pitch, and they feel that this has not been communicated by the management team or the club."

Do clubs/managers usually communicate their tactical plans to the fans? I would have thought that the opportunity to watch every NCFC game gives fans ample opportunity to draw their own conclusions regarding the tactical plan?

I think the problem is that the formation/system/tactics don't seem to be yielding good results or consistently attractive football. The club/management team shouldn't need to have to spell out what they perceive their tactical plan to be; the proof is surely in the pudding on that front?

Yeah exactly- I get with Farke we had a very set philosophy which fans seemed to like but it isn't the norm and actually being so ideologically wedded to one way of playing has just as many negatives as positives.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The widely held presumption seems to be that it was the Spurs game when this first came out. It’s no more than a gut feeling, but I’m really not so sure, especially given the speed at which it subsequently broke. 

12 minutes ago, GMF said:

The widely held presumption seems to be that it was the Spurs game when this first came out. It’s no more than a gut feeling, but I’m really not so sure, especially given the speed at which it subsequently broke. 

GMF, yes. For that very reason I suspect not just the EDP but Michael Bailey as well had already got wind of the story before the parading of the seven at the Spurs game.

59 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, that is absolutely bizarre.

Smith has spoken about wanting to win the ball higher up the pitch, high-pressing and playing attacking football. Of course it's not all materialised on the pitch but as fans what more information do we want?

Baring in mind 95% of fans complained Smith didn't change anything in a game earlier in the season when in reality we switched formation 3 times that game, I'm not sure they'd gain much from further insight anyway..

• Like 1

For me we've always been a "community club", and if the club distances itself from the local press and prioritises interviews with broadsheets like The Times then it can no longer make that claim.

And if this is all really down to Stuart Webber having a bruised ego because the local press called him out on someting, then I'm afraid we need a wiser and more mature head in his position, somebody who can take the rough with the smooth. 

Its about Norwich City, not about Stuart Webber, and there's somebody who might need reminding of that fact.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

GMF, yes. For that very reason I suspect not just the EDP but Michael Bailey as well had already got wind of the story before the parading of the seven at the Spurs game.

Which begs the question, if they had any reason to believe that it was out there (even if not officially) and they considered it to be critical for it to remain undisclosed, why go for the not so discreet ‘public showing’ of the magnificent seven? 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Had plenty of warmth for Lambert.

Loved his fist pumps, used to clap the fans and make sure every player did too.

I think its quite easy for a manager to show some intent to show respect to the fans, I think we hear more thinly veiled criticism of the fans from the club now then we do gratitude for continued custom / loyalty, and that's bizarre from any business. 

4 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's more that the quality of the Premier League has gone up, and we have conclusive evidence from two successive seasons that we've been well short of the quality required to survive in that. 

By that token we have conclusive proof from the last two Championship seasons that the quality of our squad is well above that of the rest.

My point was a team with Premier League additional finances and squad experienced should be better than the average Championship team and we generally see that trend play out.

11 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

By that token we have conclusive proof from the last two Championship seasons that the quality of our squad is well above that of the rest.

My point was a team with Premier League additional finances and squad experienced should be better than the average Championship team and we generally see that trend play out.

Except we've had a large turnover of players since our last Championship season, and half of the other teams in the top 6 with us have been in the Premier League fairly recently as well. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

4 hours ago, GMF said:

Which begs the question, if they had any reason to believe that it was out there (even if not officially) and they considered it to be critical for it to remain undisclosed, why go for the not so discreet ‘public showing’ of the magnificent seven? 

One explanation would be that someone senior at Carrow Road is eye-wateringly stupid...🤓

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Had plenty of warmth for Lambert.

Loved his fist pumps, used to clap the fans and make sure every player did too.

I think its quite easy for a manager to show some intent to show respect to the fans, I think we hear more thinly veiled criticism of the fans from the club now then we do gratitude for continued custom / loyalty, and that's bizarre from any business. 

How much respect for the fans did he show by ditching Norwich for Villa? Is it maybe that you just like having smoke blown up your ****? 

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies...

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Except we've had a large turnover of players since our last Championship season, and half of the other teams in the top 6 with us have been in the Premier League fairly recently as well. 

Didn’t we in theory improve that squad? It wasn’t all best players leaving in terms of turnover. We have had very little forced change of squad from relegation compared to our two relegation partners.

As they should be regarding the others.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Didn’t we in theory improve that squad? It wasn’t all best players leaving in terms of turnover. We have had very little forced change of squad from relegation compared to our two relegation partners.

As they should be regarding the others.

In theory does not automatically equate to in practise. In theory, Ricky van Wolfswinkel should have been amazing for us. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

How much respect for the fans did he show by ditching Norwich for Villa? Is it maybe that you just like having smoke blown up your ****? 

Personally I felt there was a lot of warmth for Lambert.... up until the point when he left City for Villa.  There was a huge feeling of betrayal for many of us (I certainly felt that way) when that happened.  Also given at that point, Villa didn't really seem like a step up compared to City - as it turned out, Lambert had to work with a very restricted budget when he was there and any step up was hard to see.

He's totally soured things since then by his atrocious behaviour as manager of the scum, but you can't rewrite history, Lambert took us up to the Prem and kept us up there comfortably in mid-table the following season.  Which no other manager has done in the past 25 years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WD40 said:

Just listened to the pod. Paddy mentions the club saying they don’t need local media. I can see why the Webber cabal holds this view and closes shop, but Delia and Michael? Ambassadors of Norwich and Norfolk more broadly? If Ed Balls or Stephen Fry were still on the board this wouldn’t happen. 

This is the bit I don’t get. 

Surely they can’t be happy with the unharmonious situation with the local media?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

How much local media is there? Bailey is no longer "local" the Athletic is international... he might be local by situation. I suspect it is more, perhaps, because he is somewhat close to the team he was once part of. 

42 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Man changes job. 

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

How much local media is there? Bailey is no longer "local" the Athletic is international... he might be local by situation. I suspect it is more, perhaps, because he is somewhat close to the team he was once part of. 

Talk Norwich City were also blackballed weren't they?

No more current Norwich City players on their channel.